Join TexasGunTalk

what are the issues with the xd?

Discussion in 'Guns Over Texas Radio Show' started by tarheel7734, Apr 1, 2014.

1. 556.45.12

556.45.12 Active Member

Mar 8, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I'm just wanted to add... that spending $2000 customizing your Glock to make it "as good" as a 1911 is like spending $80,000 to make your Honda Civic "as good" as a Nissan GTR. There's something called the Law of Diminishing Returns (is that capitalized?). If someone gave me a Glock, I would sell or trade it off as soon as possible. That is how much disdain I now have for Gaston's creation.

2. SIG_Fiend

SIG_Fiend Administrator TGT Supporter Admin

Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    They're not. A true test of mechanical accuracy really needs to be performed with something such as a Ransom Rest, to remove as much of the human from the equation, delivering consistent results from shot to shot. With a number of the tests I've seen over the years, they're roughly a 2-3" gun at 25yds from a mechanical accuracy standpoint. From a practical standpoint, fired off-hand, that may not be the case for a lot of shooters, though some can achieve it or close to it with a factory gun.

There are a few factors with the Glock design, ergonomics, and positioning of various components that can make them particularly problematic for a lot of shooters to extract as high a degree of mechanical accuracy from. For example, as a result of the high bore axis, and with the tendency for shooters to utilize a high and aggressive grip of the gun (which is ideal from an overall performance standpoint in terms of controlling the gun), it is not uncommon for a lot of shooters' trigger finger placement to be such that the intermediate and/or proximal phalanges of the trigger finger may be touching the top of the frame above the trigger and/or the frame above and to the rear of the trigger. If this is the case, when pulling the trigger, the flexor tendons in the trigger finger can press against the frame and push the gun the opposing direction (left for right-handed shooters, vice versa) even if it's just ever so slightly. One issue a lot of shooters will have with Glocks (I do myself), is they may be fairly consistent with most of their fundamentals, and might even have relatively good trigger control, and they might even experience shooting relatively tight and/or consistent groups.....but those groups might often be off-center, to the opposite direction of the shooter's gun hand. For a lot of shooters, this can sometimes lead to bashing one's head against the wall, thinking they're somehow anticipating recoil or otherwise yanking the trigger, when they aren't necessarily. All things considered, if you're shooting a consistent group (provided you're maintaining the same POA), that may be an indicator that something else is up.

That's just ridiculous. LOL

3. charlie stew

charlie stew New Member

Apr 26, 2015
    XD9 for years never broke it always goes bang make holes in junk

seeker_two and Dad_Roman like this.
  4. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Long time lurker, first time poster.
    Welcome to the Forum Charlie!

Dad_Roman likes this.
  5. Tcruse

Tcruse Active Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    I think you are exactly correct that the claim that the XD/XDM has "serious problems" is not correct. It has some design issues and some quality issues as with any gun you pick. Basically they are "problems" because the individual does not like them.
    The HS2000 was built and priced at a lower tier than the M&P and Glocks. When Springfield started selling them (and possibility forcing some changes) the price was increased and a big "pro-American" logo was added to the slide. Was the purpose of the logo to "off set" the import of the gun? The two persons that I know that purchased the XDM used the logo to portray the gun as a US made higher quality gun than a Glock. Of course, most Glocks are also imported but not all.

6. Maverick44

Maverick44 Well-Known

May 5, 2016
    NE Texas
    To me, the XDM is a slightly higher quality gun than the Glock, but not because of the logo. Mainly it has features that appeal to me over the Glock's.

Let's compare the two. The full size 9mm XDM and the Glock 17 Gen 4 are very similar, so we'll go with them for a comparison.

Glock 17 Gen 4
    Barrel - 4.49"
    Rifling - polygonal (no cast bullets)
    Sights - plastic
    Grips - interchangeable
    Capacity - 17+1 (standard capacity)
    Safety - trigger safety
    Length - 7.95"
    Width - 1.26"
    Height - 5.45"
    Weight - 24.87 oz
    MSRP - ?
    Street Price - $521

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...rms/Handguns/Glock/Glock+G17+G4+17+1+9mm+4.48

Barrel - 4.5"
    Rifling - traditional (cast bullet safe)
    Sights - metal
    Grips - interchangeable
    Capacity - 19+1 (standard capacity)
    Safety - grip safety
    Length - 7.6"
    Width - 1.18"
    Height - 5.75"
    Weight - 29 oz
    MSRP - $624
    Street Price - $500

https://www.sportsmansoutdoorsupers...1hcsp/springfield-xdm-9mm-4.5-full-size-black

Size wise, they're about the same, and the prices are close enough that they shouldn't be a deciding factor. Neither of these are what I'd consider to be conceal carry guns. They're service pistol sized guns, though you can get compact (and I believe sub compact) versions of both. Feature wise, the XDM has the Glock beat in quality based solely on the fact that it has proper steel sights. The idea of having cheap plastic sights on a fighting gun is inexcusable. I know you can change them, but you shouldn't have to. They cheapen the gun. Having 2 extra rounds in a standard capacity mag isn't a bad thing to have either.

The other features on the XDM are of the take it or leave it variety. I don't mind a grip safety at all (some might object to them), but the barrel is a deal breaker for me. 95% of what I shoot is cast.

I don't care where a gun is made as long as it's well made.