• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    These blanket statements like "limit protein" or "limit carbs" is NOT sound advice!

The ratio of carbs-protein-fats depends on:

- activity level of user
    - fitness level of user
    - existing medical conditions of user
    - goals of user

The reason why the ratio is important is because the body uses three different energy systems based the the type of work being done and how that fuel source is turned into ATP (energy). If you are not using the appropriate energy source for the work being done you will 1. not have the energy to fuel the work and 2. not see results for your effort.

Carbs, protein and fat must be turned in ATP before it can be used by the body, period. There are three energy systems in the body to transform carbs, protein and fats to ATP. Each energy system provides ATP based on what it is fed along with the recycling of bi-products created by the process.

FACT: 1lb of fat =3500 calories

In order to lose 1lb of actual fat stores one must create a caloric deficit so that those fat stores are tapped and used. A caloric deficit is created by 1. limiting intake and 2. increasing caloric expenditure. Fat is the LAST nutrient to be utilize in the energy system. Carbs are the first. The specifics of "how much" is based on the individual (see the list of factors at the top).

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Shorts, you are exactly right. The amount of food a person should consume is in direct proportion to several factors; body weight, percentage of body fat, base metabolic rate, activity level, etc. Once a person knows that they can determine the protein needs they carry. That daily protein need will dictate how much carb and fat they need.

A ratio of 40/30/30, 40 percent calories from carbs, 30 percent protein, and 30 percent fat is optimal. Those should be divided evenly into 3 meals and 2 snacks per day.

Most people eat carbs that have a high gylcemic index, quickly causing a high insulin response. They also tend to set too many of these carbs. For example, for me, at a meal I eat about 28 grams of protein per meal. That means about 36 grams of carb. That might be one small potato, or a salad, green beans, tomato slices, and fruit instead of the potato. The bun on a hamburger is plenty of carb, but add fries and your insulin jumps up, storing glucose as fat, and locking it down.

wakal

Just Some Guy
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Zephyr
    Eight pounds in three days. Just check in a military hospital on the Friday before Easter weekend. At least the mashed drugs kept me from noticing the lack of meals. Forced myself out the door Sunday afternoon and the clueless couldn't figure out why I and my wife were...irate...

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    6ahu7unu.jpg

From the time I posted in this thread I've lost an additional 15 lbs for a total of 45 lbs. low carb diet, cardio and strength training has been my recipe for success.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Stukaman

Well-Known
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Fort Worth
    These blanket statements like "limit protein" or "limit carbs" is NOT sound advice!

The ratio of carbs-protein-fats depends on:

- activity level of user
    - fitness level of user
    - existing medical conditions of user
    - goals of user

The reason why the ratio is important is because the body uses three different energy systems based the the type of work being done and how that fuel source is turned into ATP (energy). If you are not using the appropriate energy source for the work being done you will 1. not have the energy to fuel the work and 2. not see results for your effort.

Carbs, protein and fat must be turned in ATP before it can be used by the body, period. There are three energy systems in the body to transform carbs, protein and fats to ATP. Each energy system provides ATP based on what it is fed along with the recycling of bi-products created by the process.

FACT: 1lb of fat =3500 calories

In order to lose 1lb of actual fat stores one must create a caloric deficit so that those fat stores are tapped and used. A caloric deficit is created by 1. limiting intake and 2. increasing caloric expenditure. Fat is the LAST nutrient to be utilize in the energy system. Carbs are the first. The specifics of "how much" is based on the individual (see the list of factors at the top).

So Shorts is sayen I'm screwed lol

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    My fitness issues were a temporary set back in my life. I just took the road back to being me. Thank you for the kind words. I want to point out at one point I felt mentally and physically defeated. It wasn't until I decided I was fixable that I turned things around.

The two most dangerous places in today's world:
    1.) a gun free zone
    2.) your comfort zone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 10, 2013
    Garland, Tx
    That's interesting you guys say you don't snore anymore either after getting in better shape. I noticed the same with my husband.

I can't help but see the similarities between yall's stories of working to getting yourself back to where you want to be. It's great to see. I've watched my husband work on himself; it's hard work. So you guys, keep it up. Don't forget to cheat now and then, take a day of rest and of course enjoy the revamped you. We ladies notice, even if we aren't great at verbalizing. We like what we see.

Agreed :)

sent from wherever I'm at

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Keep in mind if you start using supplemental testosterone, you must continue for the rest of your life. It is not a try it now, stop it later solution.

Dr. Oz had an interesting program on wheat products. The wheat everyone gets now is not the same as your parents bought. Wheat used to grow about 3 ft tall, but the new stuff is closer to 18 inches, it has the nickname "Frankenwheat". It also has different effects on human metabolism. For instance Oz picked 5 members of his studio audience and gave each 2 slices of whole wheat bread, and measured blood sugar before and after. The following day he gave the same people a Snickers bar and made the same measurements. 3 of the 5 participants had a much higher blood sugar reading from the whole wheat bread, than the Snicker bar.
    The guest doctors thesis is simple, the new wheat we are consuming is causing more problems than you think. There is a "Wheat Belly" book that explains better replacements for wheat in your diet, with the same flavor and texture using readily available common ingredients.
    I have tried a few different plans like Nutrisystems (lost 65lbs, gained 80 back) and Atkins (lost 50 lbs, but gained it back when I returned to carbs).
    If you are drinking diet drinks with Aspartame (Nutrisweet), are you experiencing joint pain? I did, but stopped using foods/drinks with Aspartame and the pains went away.
    YMMV

Last edited:

tx_transplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2012
    Greenville, TX
    If you are drinking diet drinks with Aspartame (Nutrisweet), are you experiencing joint pain? I did, but stopped using foods/drinks with Aspartame and the pains went away.
    YMMV
    I've heard of a lot of different issues with aspartame, as well as other artificial sweeteners. I found that if I consume more than just a little bit, it causes my skin to break out something awful. Zits on a 48 year old are not cool lol.

I'm down about 20 lbs in the last 6 weeks. Been taking my workouts more seriously, and working at keeping my intake in the sane region. I have been using something called Raw Meal in place of lunch. It's a plant based meal replacement, about 34g of protein and 15g fiber per serving. It's not the best tasting, but it's working. About 10 more lbs to my goal!

The bitch I have found in the past is maintaining. Either I keep up the same program and keep losing or else I return to bad habits and rebound. I hope to do it right this time around.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Keep in mind if you start using supplemental testosterone, you must continue for the rest of your life. It is not a try it now, stop it later solution.

Dr. Oz had an interesting program on wheat products. The wheat everyone gets now is not the same as your parents bought. Wheat used to grow about 3 ft tall, but the new stuff is closer to 18 inches, it has the nickname "Frankenwheat". It also has different effects on human metabolism. For instance Oz picked 5 members of his studio audience and gave each 2 slices of whole wheat bread, and measured blood sugar before and after. The following day he gave the same people a Snickers bar and made the same measurements. 3 of the 5 participants had a much higher blood sugar reading from the whole wheat bread, than the Snicker bar.
    The guest doctors thesis is simple, the new wheat we are consuming is causing more problems than you think. There is a "Wheat Belly" book that explains better replacements for wheat in your diet, with the same flavor and texture using readily available common ingredients.
    I have tried a few different plans like Nutrisystems (lost 65lbs, gained 80 back) and Atkins (lost 50 lbs, but gained it back when I returned to carbs).
    YMMV

Snickers' bars have lots of fat. Fat causes delayed gastric emptying, which would cause a delay in release of glucose.

Slices of bread are just complex and simple carbs.

I don't know squat about "frankenwheat," but there are other reasonable explanations. What kind of MD is Dr. Oz again?

Top Bottom