IMG_2706.jpeg

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I probably posted this once before, it's Clay Martin running 10,000 rounds through a Hellcat. He did it again in the same gun a few months later.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Why use a micro and hang all those doodads on it?
    Micro guns are for easy conceal, No?
    Hey! I know! Let's buy a tiny gun and make it larger! Brilliance!
    That certainly an opinion…no different than having an opinion that all anyone needs to carry is a 5 shot snubby.

But the reality is the value of having a more precise aiming device than iron sights is irrefutable, whether one chooses to use it or not. And the value of a weapon mounted light is also clearly an advantage more than not in skilled/trained hands.

Testing all micro’s with these additional tools makes sense to me as I agree with your point that they can induce malfunctions…so making it harder for all the guns in this scenario makes great sense.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    I bashed the biased evaluators and their biased evaluation method, not Glock. While I prefer Glocks to most brands out there, I disagree that the Glock 17 is the standard by which all other pistols should be judged. The evaluators lost credibility to me when they announced their scoring system as 1 to 5 where 5 was a Glock 17--a system they admitted they might be criticized for using. In my view, an unbiased standard should have been a hypothetical "perfect" pistol (which does not exist). That would make a useful video considering all the shooter's experience. In this case, the deck was stacked and the conclusion not worth the time.

I would respond similarly to a video that compared all duty handguns to a 1911.
    They used the G17 as the standard they were most familiar with and as a baseline. Kinda, like using ballistics gel to test penetration. It isn’t flesh and body parts, but it consistent.

Using a common baseline simply helps try to keep it on a level playing field. Since we are still seeing three HUMANS of various abilities and perceptions do the judge if, certainly they have opinions and biases. That came out in their scoring.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    But the reality is the value of having a more precise aiming device than iron sights is irrefutable,
    Allow me to refute.

The overwhelming majority of times that you would need to use a handgun defensively it will be in an “oh shit, I’m about to die” situation that will occur at a distance of 6’ or less.

I do the vast majority of my carry gun training shooting from retention, and not using the sights at all. Seecamp does not even put iron sights on their guns.

If you are shooting competition , or have a job that you will be frequently drawing your gun, yes, optics will be a big plus.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    The overwhelming majority of times that you would need to use a handgun defensively it will be in an “oh shit, I’m about to die” situation that will occur at a distance of 6’ or less.
    Exactly. And to add to this: not enough training goes into near ready draw and use. Tight halls/passageways/peaking around corners…near ready that mess.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I’ll be going from my cz rami to my shield plus for warmer months. Prints less.

But having had a g42 and shooting a 43, I love the m&p over glock.

I carry all kinds of handguns but right now my three primary depending on the season is my rami, shield plus, or Glock 19x. Now…I may end up just going with the shield plus and my archon type b. Still have yet to get a review going for y’all but that archon is turning into my favorite.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Allow me to refute.

I do the vast majority of my carry gun training shooting from retention, and not using the sights at all. Seecamp does not even put iron sights on their guns.

If you are shooting competition , or have a job that you will be frequently drawing your gun, yes, optics will be a big plus.

I agree, 3-5 yards and in, optics are not necessarily a must have for a torso size target. I also agree that we should train/practice the way we carry. 100%!

But you may only get a partial target…or maybe need to take a 10 yard shot in a bad situation. Or maybe this, that, or whatever countless shot happens…

I won’t argue all the possible scenarios or the decision to shoot or not, but you cannot deny the simple facts that as a law abiding citizen, we don’t get to choose the time or place of the gunfight, you don’t get to choose the opponents, and you probably don’t get to choose how far away the shot you must make/take will be.

I shot many thousands of rounds in training and classes with iron sights, and generally did fine. But I know at my early 60’s, I am way more accurate with a dot, even at 5 yards, where a 3” group becomes a 1.5 or better group.

Finally, while point shooting can be learned, it’s not a guarantee . We cannot discount the stress that will make your shooting suck. I’m betting you’ve seen videos of the cops and bad guys exchanging gunfire across the hood of a car and after multiple rounds, zero hits! Clearly, any sights that were in the gun were not used.

And I’ve NEVER been to a quality professional pistol class that said to not use sights beyond arms length. You own every bullet you sling…you need to be able to tell the jury your sights were on the bad guy, not the kid next to him.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom