• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I stumbled across these videos out on YouTube. This guy does a six part series on the different techniques for purifying water. Very well researched and documented for the different conclusions.

Most of the information is presented with the perspective of a filtering water while camping/backpacking, but can be very applicable to the prepping world.

Texas SOT

thescoutranch

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    He also has a Series on nutritionally dense foods (high calorie/ low weight). that might be good choices for bug out bags.

Interesting enough, is that foods high in the sugars are not light weight.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    Watching this thread and will watch the video later.

I’ve learned much about water purification from YT but I don’t I recognize the one you linked, so I’m interested to see if there’s something new to learn.

… because water is the single most important bugout or prep item.

thescoutranch

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown

I’ve learned much about water purification from YT but I don’t I recognize the one you linked, so I’m interested to see if there’s something new to learn.

Videos, not video. Each one runs about 50 minutes. There’s a video, addressing boiling, one for chemical treatments, one for microfilters, one for ultrafiltration.

On the good side, he explains everything and documents everything back to the sources of the information and research, really good if you’d like to geek out on the data, but explains it at a very basic and easy to understand level.

And the big thing is, he is not selling anything or getting any kickbacks or monies from sales.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <><

Recall. that our Ancestors survived using simple methods. . . . . .

Well, SOME of them survived with those methods.

Any plan for long-term survival should include bulk Iodine, Metronidazole, & a broad spectrum antibiotic like Amoxicillin.

Any filtration is better than none.

The old maxim from many fields of learning is: “Perfect is the mortal enemy of good-enough”.

<>

thescoutranch

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    <><

Recall. that our Ancestors survived using simple methods. . . . . .

Well, SOME of them survived with those methods.

Any plan for long-term survival should include bulk Iodine, Metronidazole, & a broad spectrum antibiotic like Amoxicillin.

Any filtration is better than none.

The old maxim from many fields of learning is: “Perfect is the mortal enemy of good-enough”.

<>
    Bulk iodine? For cleaning wounds or water?

thescoutranch

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown

One of the big takeaways from the first video is it there is no need to boil water to purify it, you can get away with pasteurization of the water, of course, you would need a thermometer, and a stopwatch to do this in the field or you can get a wapi

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Silver was used as a biocide back in the days of Rome - they'd put it in a filter "box" with carbon to keep the carbon from becoming contaminated, and filter their water.

thescoutranch

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I keep a jar of Potsassium Iodide to flood thyroids in case of nuclear “fallout”.

Also, Iodine is useful to decontaminate drinking water in emergencies.
    After watching the videos of various chemical purification techniques, iodine seems to be the least effective with the most potential side effects.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    After watching the videos of various chemical purification techniques, iodine seems to be the least effective with the most potential side effects.

<>

It is an option, and a proven efficient option.

Plus, ITSHTF, it can block thyrlids from accumulating & storing damaging radioisotopes from nuclear fallout.

I earned about the “purification” back in the 1950’s while at The Scout Ranch, “PhilMont”, in northern New Mexico.

The radiation part is from my Radiation Biology courses at Baylor Med.

The Iodine products are shelf-stable, cheap, & portable.

Everyone venturing into the outback for anuy time should also carry metronidazole (“Flagyl”)

leVieux

<>

thescoutranch

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    It is an option, and a proven efficient option.
    Yes, it is an option, but iodine seems to be the least effective in purification, with the most potential side effects. (with regards to water purification).

If you watch that video, I would be curious to see if you don’t change your mind.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    <>

These things are RELATIVE.

The “BRAIN EATING” amoeba has been found in several municipal water systems.

A story, an old but TRUE story: Back in the mid-1970’s, one of my colleagues was covering the Port Lavaca Hospital E D one weekend, and found a case of Texas-acquired Human CHOLERA.

The CDC immediately sent a team of investigators. They never located the source of the cholera; BUT, as part of their investigations, they flushed blue dye down some toilets in a small motel.

Next day, blue dye came out of the water faucets in a home some 200 yards away.

leVieux

p.s. I’m reporting being back home, calling myself SAFE, returned from Robstown !

Attachments

• IMG_0037.jpeg
      IMG_0037.jpeg
      114.4 KB · Views: 10

thescoutranch

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    <>

These things are RELATIVE.

The “BRAIN EATING” amoeba has been found in several municipal water systems.

A story, an old but TRUE story: Back in the mid-1970’s, one of my colleagues was covering the Port Lavaca Hospital E D one weekend, and found a case of Texas-acquired Human CHOLERA.

The CDC immediately sent a team of investigators. They never located the source of the cholera; BUT, as part of their investigations, they flushed blue dye down some toilets in a small motel.

Next day, blue dye came out of the water faucets in a home some 200 yards away.

leVieux

p.s. I’m reporting being back home, calling myself SAFE, returned from Robstown !
    The effectiveness and side effects of the treatments are not “relative”.

How effective of a purification system you chose is “relative” to how effective of a treatment you want.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    The effectiveness and side effects of the treatments are not “relative”.

How effective of a purification system you chose is “relative” to how effective of a treatment you want.
    <>

Please excuse me, I‘m sorry.

Seems I overestimated both your intelligence & your sincerity. . . . . . . .

Adios!

leVieux

<>

thescoutranch

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    <>

Please excuse me, I‘m sorry.

Seems I overestimated both your intelligence & your sincerity. . . . . . . .

Adios!

leVieux

<
    I am surprised that the extreme size of your ego does not cause you to suffer from some balance issues.

If someone does not agree with you or questions your statement, you resort to insults?

You don’t know anything about me, my level of education or my intelligence.

If you don’t have anything useful to contribute to this discussion, then go away, being careful not to trip over that huge ego of yours.

Top Bottom