• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    I have a fairly new Taurus 85 blue 38 special, SA/DA. I paid somewhere around 350 for it, after the transfer and all. That's about the price they are selling them for in stores right now. I want a Ruger SP101, or even better..a GP100.

I know I'll needa first sell my Taurus (hoping to get around 250 for it at least....that's less than the lowest price I've seen on gunsamerica, gunbroker and a few others), and I'll needa pony up some more cash for the Ruger, since the gun is more expensive to begin with.

I have no problem doing that, am not in a rush, and actually looking to do this probably in a month or so..unless someone knows of a way I can do it sooner. I have never sold a gun, nor have I bought a used gun, and will not do this without FFL transfers on both guns, just to cover my ass and yours.

Besides that, I have no problem buying a used Ruger revolver cause I know they are pretty much as close to indestructible as a gun can get.

Anyway, as I said, I am new to gun buying and selling, but I will not do this in a private place, parking lot, at my house or anything like that, it will be inside a gun store with an FFL dealer standing right there.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make this happen, please let me know. I have a ballpark figure of how much I need to expect to spend, but am obviously looking to do it as least expensively as possible. That's why I am in no rush, otherwise I'd run out and buy the brand new one at the store across the street. Thanks to whoever may help me, or give me advice on this.

And God Bless Texas! I am so glad we live in this state, we need to all do our part to make sure it STAYS what it always has been. That just needed to be said.
    Capitol Armory ad

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    If it is for a deal on a gun, I don't mind driving, just fyi..not sure why you were asking...I can get to east Houston in 20 mins without traffic though. I'm at I-10 and the beltway west.

mkburden

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2010
    HUNT COUNTY TEXAS
    I went to a gun shop in Plano with a buddy who was buying a .40 from me so we could do the whole ffl transfer and was told they didn't need to do that. I insisted that WE wanted to do that and was given a lecture about the law not requiring it. I am not in the business of selling weapons either but haven't returned to that shop. Good luck with the sale, I actually have been leaning towards a .38 for my next purchase.

itchin

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2011
    Corpus Christi, Texas
    Why not just trade in the Taurus to a gun shop, toward a Ruger? Are You serious about the transfer at a gun shop for a private deal? This turns into a 4 party affair., buyer, seller, gunshop (or ffl), and the gubmint.

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    Check Cabela's. My wife bought a GP100 for under $450 there used with tax and everything. It is in great shape. Needed to be cleaned, but in great shape. I've seen a few at the Ft. Worth location here and there.

Colonel

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2011
    Houston, 3rd Rock
    Your insistance on the FFL transfer really throws a monkey wrench into a private sale. Have you thought about putting it on consignment at a dealer. Try houstongunblog.com, maybe they can help you.

Pachucko

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    I don't care too much about the FFL or the gov knowing about the deal, the transfer just adds to the cost if you ask me. If I were your trading party I would expect you to lower your price/trade value to make up for the FFL fees. Going through transfers doesn't do anybody but the FFL any good. Just my .02, you need to do what you're comfortable with I guess.

Edited to add: With the constraints you're working with, you may as well just trade it in to a gun shop or put it on consignment as suggested above. Best of luck in your trading.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    I guess I don't know, I've never sold a gun before (correction, hadn't sold a gun before, I sold the Taurus since this post. Doubt anyone's reading this but what the hell, might as well type away huh?), I don't know how people normally do it, but I figured that most people would want to verify that they are not selling the gun to a felon, and the buyer would want to ensure that they are not buying a gun that is a murder weapon. I did sell the Taurus for $300 and got a Blackhawk in its place. The owner of the store was only willing to give me $150 for it. So that's why I wasn't too much in a hurry to go that route. Selling the Ruger though, I want a DA revolver.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    Wow. $150.

yeah, tell me about it. The gun was 6 months old and hadn't had 1K rounds fired through it at the time. It was the Blue Book value. Then I get on Texasguntrader, GunsAmerica, Gunbroker, and see people selling this same gun for up to $350!! So I knew if I tried hard enough I could get it sold in a private sale. I stumbled across this Blackhawk and picked it up, just because I know the resale value will be better, and I figured I'd better get the Taurus off my hands ASAP before it turns into a value-less pile of metal that I paid $300 for. I liked the gun, but wanted a Ruger or Colt. I still am hoping to sell this Blackhawk and buy a Colt MK3 or Ruger GP100. I'd even consider an SP101 although I really don't want to go from a 6 shooter to a 5 shooter. Idk, what is better, a 6 shooting, SAO revolver with a loading gate that loads one round at a time, or a 5 shot, DA/SA revolver with a swing out cylinder I can load with a speedloader in 1/2 a second?

Tough call.

I really do LOVE the Blackhawk though, so if I am stuck with it for a while, it won't break my heart lol...At least I got the Taurus off my hands and have a gun with a better reputation for solid reliability, that will hold its monetary value for the most part. Not that Taurus isn't reliable, but it goes to show you how one period of lackluster quality control (the issues in the late 90's) can tarnish a company's reputation for a very very long time. I need to be 100% confident in the gun that I deem my "main" home defense weapon, which is what the revolver is for, and I always plan to have a 357 revolver as the gun designated for that purpose.

Here it is, I have it in the WTS forum in case you didn't see:

Blackhawk.jpg

Top Bottom