• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    Ok, so I haven’t been much of a fisherman ever.

But I do like fish.

No interest in salt water at this time.

What do I need to buy to get started, I don’t have a boat. Would be willing to travel as far as outside of Huntsville to fish if they are there.

Anyone have any basic recommendations to get started on this?

Not really interested in eating a bunch of catfish, but I will if that’s what I catch.
    Target Sports

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Decide what species you want to catch.
    This determines what kind of tackle you'll need.
    Panfish like perch or crappie use ultralight gear.
    Larger species such as catfish or bass require heavier tackle.

Determine where you can fish.
    Many areas are off-limits to bank fisherman so figure out where you can even get to the water. Parking can be a pain so check that out as well.

Depending on the species you're targeting decide if your going to use bait or artificial lures.
    If you go the bait you'll need the gear to handle that as well. Live bait such as minnows require an aerated bucket or other means of keeping them alive as you fish.
    Plain old cut up hunks of other fish is effective for catfish.
    Live worms, crickets, grasshoppers are great for perch.

Academy will have everything you need..
    I'd recommend a SPINNING reel to start with.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    Decide what species you want to catch.
    This determines what kind of tackle you'll need.
    Panfish like perch or crappie use ultralight gear.
    Larger species such as catfish or bass require heavier tackle.

Determine where you can fish.
    Many areas are off-limits to bank fisherman so figure out where you can even get to the water. Parking can be a pain so check that out as well.

Depending on the species you're targeting decide if your going to use bait or artificial lures.
    If you go the bait you'll need the gear to handle that as well. Live bait such as minnows require an aerated bucket or other means of keeping them alive as you fish.
    Plain old cut up hunks of other fish is effective for catfish.
    Live worms, crickets, grasshoppers are great for perch.

Academy will have everything you need..
    I'd recommend a SPINNING reel to start with.
    I know of this place by the bridge outside of Conroe I see people park.

I guess I should start with the easiest fish to catch. Low hanging fruit, until I get good.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I've never fished them but the Forest Service has some great, small parks that will likely be quieter and more calm water than anywhere on Lake Conroe, though not necessarily less crowded on a pretty day. Ratcliff is my favorite but if the wind is out of the south, it blows Hwy 7 noise in making it slightly less enjoyable.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    City ponds are a good place to start. Usually stocked with panfish (crappie, bluegill, greenies, etc) and largemouth bass.

I know of a good spot, public, state forest off 1488 that has a few ponds full of bass and panfish, as well as some publicly owned ponds in the Woodlands that are stocked and well managed with big bass in them.

If you wanna give it a whirl, I'm happy to meet up and let you try a few different types of rods and lures out - I've got enough tackle to supply a crew. Usually smaller bodies of water are less pressured, yet easier to access and fish than big water like Conroe is.

If you're in a neighborhood that has ponds, even better - HOA ponds usually hold good fish and are not heavily pressured.

You won't get as many bites in the winter, but usually when you do, the bites are from bigger fish. They don't stop feeding in cold water, and this is the time of year they start really putting the feedbag on, because in another month or so they'll be moving up into the shallows to spawn. Its almost too easy catching bass when the spawn is on, because so long as the water is got some clarity - you can sight fish, and the fish are very aggressive at defending their nests.

Up north I didn't like fishing for spawners, because it takes upto 5 years up there for a fish to reach sexual maturity. Down here, they can spawn multiple times a year and reach sexual maturity within a year, and the fish aren't off the beds long enough usually for predatory bluegill or carp to come eat the eggs or fry.

You can go cheap, or go crazy expensive with any type of fishing tackle and rod setup you want. I've got rods that run from $5 to $500 - they all catch fish.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I know of this place by the bridge outside of Conroe I see people park.

I guess I should start with the easiest fish to catch. Low hanging fruit, until I get good.

The water conditions also tell you what type of tackle to use.
    Is the water there deep? shallow? fast flowing? dead calm?
    If fast flowing you'll need some weight to get your bait to the bottom and keep it there.

The debate about which type of reel to use is endless.
    IMO, the spinning reel is the most versatile. They're easy to learn to use. They are also capable of casting very lightweight terminal tackle and into the wind. And they'll catch big fish.
    Spincasters are fine for small fish but they have a tendency to twist their line up and cause tangling problems. They're mostly bulletproof but the larger more robust models are heavy.
    Baitcast reels are more for experts. I strongly recommend you hold off on this type until you figure out if you like fishing long term. Think of them as the 1911 of the fishing world.
    They take time and patience to master.
    Like firearms you'll soon have several rod/reel combos to match what fish you're after.

Don't spend a lot on rods either.
    IMO, buy a rod that is relatively stiff. Don't get one that is "whippy". This is known as rod action. Usually referred to as "fast" or "slow". The "faster" the rod, the stiffer it is.
    If the rod is too "whippy" or "Mushy" the rod absorbs the vibrations and taps of the fish hitting at the bait and you will not feel it in your hands. The stiffer the rods the more sensitive taps and bites you will feel. You don't see anything. Its all by feel.
    The old school fiberglass rods and monofilament line made this feel thing difficult. Today there are graphite rods and braided line that make this much easier.

Fishing a pond for perch, a plain old cane pole, bobber, and earthworms , is very effective.
    You don't need to spend a ton of money.

Academy or Wal-Mart typically have everything you'll need.

I'm going to warn you. This shit can get addictive. Be careful.

Oh, almost forgot. Fish are everywhere. Go over to the UtubeZ and search for "ditch fishing"
    There are many videos of folks fishing in the most mundane of places and catching fish.
    It will give you some ideas on what gear and tackle you'll need.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Those fishing guides I suggested supply all the gear you will need that way they not only show you how but you get to try out different options on gear. They are helpful and worth the few dollars they charge for a 1/2 or full day on the lake.
    The guide that works Lake Limestone gets $350.00 per trip. If that does not scare a new angler off I would guess there a boat in his future.

I can't speak on the other nearby cakes But Lake Limestone is 3.63 feet down as of January 17 and has been down since 21 from the drought. A new boat owner would be advised to take it slow & learn the lake. Limestone has plenty of tree tops showing, but its what you don't see that can wreak ones day.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Hiring a guide a time or two can teach you a lot.
    Be aware. Some guides are great. Some aren't worth dried snot. Do your research before hiring one.
    As a former boat owner I will say this: The best two days in a boat owners life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Hiring a guide a time or two can teach you a lot.
    Be aware. Some guides are great. Some aren't worth dried snot. Do your research before hiring one.
    As a former boat owner I will say this: The best two days in a boat owners life are the day he buys the boat and the day he sells it.
    Boats are cash in the trash.

RedArmy

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2017
    Watauga
    Get a fishing canoe or kayak, they have them small enough now that you could easily throw it up on a roof rack or in the back of your truck. I have a big two man canoe that I fish out of, kind of a pain to load and unload though, wish I had got one of the smaller one man canoes instead. A canoe or kayak is great for small lakes and ponds, keeps you in shape too. Thought about putting a trolling motor on mine but then I'd have to register and license it according to state law. It's already heavy and awkward enough to move around for one man but the trolling motor has been tempting me lately. I didn't fish at all last year but this year I'm going to make up for it.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    State parks are great places to fish, and in February and March they stock the small lakes in their parks with trout. You would need ultra light tackle and light line (4lb). Catch them with whole kernel corn out of the can. Use a very small hook. In the past it’s been no license required, but confirm that.

Lake Conroe has almost zero public access. You have to use a boat or know someone, or rent a condo for the weekend. I was shocked at how hard it is to get on the water there.

@baboon ’s guide comment is spot on. They have the gear and know where to go. And the price includes up to 3 people. Used a guide a few times on a lake I knew nothing about.

Creeks and shallow lake areas are good places to start. Crappie are active beginning early Feb through May. And they are my favorite freshwater fish to eat.

Just get started. It’s not brain surgery. You only catch fish when you have a line in the water.

lots of good advice above. And there’s lots of water in that area.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    The guide that works Lake Limestone gets $350.00 per trip. If that does not scare a new angler off I would guess there a boat in his future.

I can't speak on the other nearby cakes But Lake Limestone is 3.63 feet down as of January 17 and has been down since 21 from the drought. A new boat owner would be advised to take it slow & learn the lake. Limestone has plenty of tree tops showing, but its what you don't see that can wreak ones day.
    Small price to pay to actually get taught and able to use the right equipment. Most offer a lunch and drinks with that. And take a friend and split the cost.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    Man I am glad I asked this question, lots of knowledgeable people here.

I have a BIL who has a boat and lived on lake Conroe. Don’t really want to go out with him for other reasons, not until I am good enough to handle it myself.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Small price to pay to actually get taught and able to use the right equipment. Most offer a lunch and drinks with that. And take a friend and split the cost.
    I am lucky enough to live with the lake across the street from me. Most of the fishing is jug fishing.

One of the guys say crappie are only good for catfish bait. Since I have been here most boats are not even in the water due to the water level.

My neighbors Larry has had his boat in my garage for over a year now. Dave across the street developed motor issues from not running his. I have gotten invited to shoot deer so fishing is coming when its worth doing.

My buddy Leon dad fished Lake Conroe for years. When he sold his boat Leon’s brother bought one to keep his dad active. An old man who had gave up his boat would be every bit as good as a guide, just to get out on the water and do what he loves.

Moonpie

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    There are fishing snobs just like gun snobs.
    They sniff their noses at you for using bait or targeting some species of fish they deign as inferior.
    Fuggum.
    Go after what ever you find enjoyable.
    TBH: I had more fun catching very small fish than large ones.
    I was/am a catch&release angler. Everything went back.
    Catching the little guys was more of a challenge.
    Have fun.
    Oh....remember you will be in some remote spots, away from assistance, often alone, so carry the appropriate hardware.
    Trolls are known to be under bridges.

Top Bottom