• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Thinking about "Big Ed". One of my high school buddy's dad.
    Army Captain, Korea and Vietnam vet. Last stationed in Iran before the Shah was deposed.
    Retired rather than facing a few more moves.So he moved back "home". Great sense of humor.
    Stories that chilled me to the bone too.
    RIP Ed

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Friends,

97 years ago at 1100 hours, the slaughter STOPPED in Europe & WWI ended.

Remember our veterans, both living & dead, today if nothing else by simply pausing & keeping silent to thank them for their service to The Republic in both peace & war.

yours, satx

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    To all that have or are serving a big ass THANK YOU for your scrifice and for keeping us free. Without you there would be no USA.

A special thanks to my deceased father in law Ernest Stanglin who served in the Navy and fought during WW2.

DSCN1002.jpg

DSCN1000.jpg

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Thanks dad. I wish I was home to hug your neck.
    Uncle Alfred, RIP.
    Robert, father in law, RIP.

Great men, all.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    majormadmax,

I would have NEVER done what little that I accomplished had it not been for one particularly charming, lovely & talented lady, who I met in 1967.

MANY THANKS to you dearest, satx

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    As a veteran, it pisses me off when people confuse Memorial Day with Veteran's Day.

On Memorial Day we honor the sacrifices of those who died in service to their Country.

On Veteran's Day, we thank those who served and lived. Buy a vet a beer and leave it at that.

We don't need a parade, the laying of a wreath at some National Cemetery, or even a pat on the back by people who never served.

If you want to honor veterans, then deliver the mail instead of taking a Federal Holiday USPS!

Be well.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Now that I am back, I can talk a little about where I was on Veterans Day; which was with the Combined Joint Task Force Horn of Africa at Camp Lemonnier in Djibouti. For those of you unfamiliar with that location, it is a former French Foreign Legion base acquired by the US about a year after 9/11 and is the only permanent US military base in Africa.

While I can't talk about what I did there, I can say from firsthand experience that the US military personnel assigned there are the dedicated professionals we can all be proud of. These fine Americans leave their families and friends for anywhere between six months to almost a year to live in very austere conditions Billeting is in Containerized Living Units (CLUs), shipping containers converted to house 2-3 people. There are communal toilet/showers for every 10-15 CLUs...

cnicd_a095875.png

All of the above is public knowledge and not sensitive.

Those deployed here work long hours seven days a week for months on end. There is little in terms of recreation, and those amenities we all enjoy (fast food, shopping, etc) are in short supply. Still, there is strong morale and an overall positive attitude by all.

It was a privilege and honor to spend Veterans Day with those that exemplify the meaning of the day. They have my utmost respect and I pray that God watches over them and keeps them safe. We Americans enjoy lucrative and comfortable lives due to the sacrifices of such individuals, and they are heroes true to the word.

Cheers! M2

Top Bottom