• ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Late one evening a cat like animal crossed the road in front of me.
    About three times the size of a house cat.
    Long tail. Dray greyish color. I'd guess about six feet long nose to tail.
    Short stubby ears.
    Got a good look at it before it moved away.
    Pretty sure it was a jaquarundi.
    Capitol Armory ad

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    A lady friend and I were traveling north from Beulah to Lufkin when a very healthy, fluffy red fox trotted across FM 58 - about a month ago.
    That’s only the second red fox I’ve ever seen - the other was sighted from a deer stand near Vienna, TX, back in the 80’s.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    <>

What happened last night is that I was under an elevated box deer blind facing a feeder some 90M in front. Hoping for feral hogs.

A raccoon walked out from behind me into the pasture, upwind. The coon was obviously concerned about something upwind of hm off to my right. Coon kept standing up and looking, so I knew something else was over there.

A black animal came out of woods briefly, so I figured a hog & reached for rifle. He disappeared, then, a couple minutes later came again, backside to me.

Trying to turn to put scope on it, he suddenly turned & gave me a profile and I realized it wasn’t a hog or a calf. When it started to walk agin, it lifted its head & I could tell it was a small bear.

Neither noticed me.

I couldn’t believe my eyes, so I called a Game Biologist Friend and learned that bear sightings were not uncommon in this area.

Of course, they are protected. From reading, they come from West Texas, Mexico, or from the restocking programs in nearby AK & LA.

My Buddy ran his game camera pics, but no little bear.

So, BOLO for little black bear in the Hill Country.

leVieux
    Many years ago you could hunt for black bear in Galveston County with a limit of one. If you could ever find one...

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    Three years ago there was a nesting pair of Swallow-tailed kites in my back neighbors tree, with a pair of young. I reported it and the Houston 'bird-ranger' came by and took pictures of them. The old guy died that winter and the new neighbor cut the tree down because it dropped needles in his outdoor hot tub.
    1678144000611.png

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    None unsual for Texas, but I see a lot at night on one game cam in particular... it points toward a fence across a narrow shelf that drops into a gully; anything that doesn't want to cross through the gully has to cross the shelf in front of the camera...

I've seen coyote, fox, ringtail, raccoon, possum, porcupine, cottontail, jackrabbit, pig, deer, bobcat, jaguarundi, even capybara, and I'm sure I've forgotten something... Oh, yeah... house cat...

My eyes have seen all those in daylight at least once, except capybara.

ComeAndTakeIt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Houston
    I live in the burbs... Katy, Texas.
    This Coyote came up to my front door and looked right into my house the other evening.
    Wish I could upload the video. The screen shots don't do justice.
    Odd to see in the burbs and total daylight.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 10.18.15 PM.png
      Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 10.18.15 PM.png
      2.2 MB · Views: 56
    • Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 10.18.31 PM.png
      Screenshot 2023-03-06 at 10.18.31 PM.png
      2.2 MB · Views: 55

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    This Coyote came up to my front door and looked right into my house the other evening.

I've seen so many coyotes in my hood that I didn't even think to add here. I have seen one in my front yard twice, running down my street 4-6 times, and just generally around the neighborhood 10 times or more.

They apparently pop up out of the storm drains and grab kitties and small dogs. Dont have to worry about that with mine. She weighs more than them so they probably wouldn't go for her. She's a cream puff, so thats a good thing for her.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I live from the Lampases River west of Stillhouse Lake. Cougers have been spotted around the area, including juveniles, many times in the last 20 years. I have seen the alligators in the river and the lake near the river mouth. Beaver on the east end of the lake. Ring tailed cats all around the lake and streams feeding it for many years. Mostly around large areas of exposed shelf rock. They like rocky areas near water. Most people mistake them for sick racoons.
    When I fished a lot, 3-6 nights a week, it was mostly at night. Quite often all night. I got to see critters come to the lake that most didn't even know was there.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.

I live in town as well. Many times now I have seen coyotes in my front yard late at night.
    There is a feral cat that hangs around I sure wish they would eat.
    I keep the back yard privacy fence in good repair so they do not get to my little dogs.
    Coyotes are very adaptable. Suburbia is a godsend for them.

karlac

Lately too damn busy to have Gone fishin' ...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Houston & Hot Springs
    <>

We were just discussing the “coyote explosion” of the 1970’s. Way back, coyotes were rare in eastern Texas, never seen East of Houston.

Then, b/t 1968 & 1976 they extended to all of Texas, and on into Tennessee & the Florida Panhandle. By the nid-1980’s, they were nationwide.

Why ?

I don’ t know.

leVieux
    Another species you never saw very far North of the Rio Grande: whitewing doves.

Last ten or so years in Houston, and hunting the ranch in Grimes Cty, they outnumbered the mourning doves.

prisondoc

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2020
    Converse TX
    I live in town as well. Many times now I have seen coyotes in my front yard late at night.
    There is a feral cat that hangs around I sure wish they would eat.
    I keep the back yard privacy fence in good repair so they do not get to my little dogs.
    Coyotes are very adaptable. Suburbia is a godsend for them.
    How high is your privacy fence? I've seen coyotes scale a 6 foot fence with ease, especially when they're hungry. I've also seen coyotes (a pack of 3) go after larger dogs. Be extremely careful with your pets!

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

Reactions: gll
    Top Bottom