• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • medalguy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    New Mexico
    I would never carry while with a LEO. That's his job and there's absolutely no reason for you to have a firearm in your possession. Ammo I don't think would be any cause for concern any place, 51% location or a police station.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yeah, I don't imagine that you will be allowed to carry on the ride a long. To answer your specific question, there is no law that prohibits you from carrying in a police station. If they provide lockers for you then they can require you to lock it in one before you enter the secured area of the station. (Texas Government Code 411(h)

The laws address handguns, not ammo. That said, you won't be carrying bullets on a commercial airplane either. lol

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    If you've obtained permission, then there you go. ;) I would be willing to bet most departments would say no by default though, just because of the liability issues of someone that doesn't have the first clue about anything and that is on a ride along, pulling their gun and possibly doing something stupid when the situation may not warrant it. That could be lawsuit city for that department. ;)

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    thats the 1st time I ever heard of a department letting someone carry on a ride along....many departments wont even let civilians do ride alongs anymore much less carry a gun while doing so.

.3937 inches

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    North Texas
    I was going to ask you why you even posted the question here, your question should have been to the LEO right off the bat. But you should never take his, or any LEO or even a lwayer's word as final word on "what the law says". LEO's are notoriously uneducated about statutory law and lawyers are not much better unless it's in a filed of their spcialty - if they have one beyond plea bargaining.

You can take what they say as a way to narrow down your own divining - but do your own research. If the matter is important enough that the consequences could carry a jail term if you're wrong, then you should fork over a couple hundred or so and get a written legal opinion from an attorney in that field of specialty. It might not CYA entirely but it would be better than pithing in the wind.

In the very least, you could hope for a fully informed jury member who would look to the fact that you did get a written opinion and he might decide to nullify on that basis. All it takes is one. Researching law is not as difficult as it may seem, but relying on the word of an LEO or some hack attorney is never a good idea if your liberty is at stake.

Like grandpa used to say . . . . "Manage your own money, and research your own law!" . . . Okay he didn't say to research your own law, but he did say the part about the money. ;)

rayj8524

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    Wichita Falls
    I contacted my attorney about CC and his bottom line remark was that unless there is a 30.06 sign, or a 51 sign, or definately places like school and federal buildings, you can carry. I asked about church and he said as long as there was no 30.06 sign, you can carry. He carries when he goes to church. "No one is coming into my church shooting." As far as ride alongs, a friend of mine is a LEO in a major city and, while I have not ridden with him, I know a few who have and civilians who ride with LEO's are instructed to stay in the car. The best thing to do is aske, but I don't see there would be a problem from what I have been told by a LEO and an attorney. I'd carry just in case things esculated and you were by yourself at the car. Hope this helps.

Harley Rider 55

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    Yeah, I don't imagine that you will be allowed to carry on the ride a long. To answer your specific question, there is no law that prohibits you from carrying in a police station. If they provide lockers for you then they can require you to lock it in one before you enter the secured area of the station. (Texas Government Code 411(h)

The laws address handguns, not ammo. That said, you won't be carrying bullets in carry on baggage on a commercial airplane either. lol

Fixed it for ya'

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas

Question 2: Is it legal to carry ammunition at a location that it’s not legal to carry a firearm? Example: I go to the post office and leave my gun in the car, but do I need to leave my spare magazine in the car too?

Just because it is not specifically excluded does not make it a good idea. You have a certain responsibility to act in a predictable and cautionary way. If you don't need to carry ammo. then why do it? Especially if you don't have any reason to, other than I am too lazy to unload myself. Perhaps you could only carry extra ammo when the time is appropriate and it would not create extra work for you...

Top Bottom