Texas SOT

Tracker Knife, one tool option for hunting/survival?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    Any fans of the Tom Brown Jr style Tracker Knife? Anyone own one?

Tom Brown Jr has an interesting history. The 2003 movie The Hunted was based on him and “his” knife. Advertised as a one tool option, it seems to be something for a skilled woodsman, trapper, or Bushcrafter.

I bought mine a while back. Decided to do a video on it, and hopefully do another video using it on some projects. Doubt I have the skills to make a bow and arrows, but might try a throwing stick and other small things. Maybe build a chair with some bank line at my in-laws property.

Texas SOT

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    I have a few of his books, got to talk to him on the phone years ago. I at one time wanted to go thru one of his schools but never got the opportunity to. As to his design, I never bought one but had a friend that had one. Jack of all trades master of none sums it up for me. If it was the only one you could have it would work, but I would rather make other choices. Just my opinion.

Catherine1

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    USA
    My husband has 2 Tops knives. They were bought several years ago. He ordered them through his gun store man. He had them shipped to the store.

I think that he still has one or ? of Tom Brown's books too. That bookcase is in the bedroom so I don't want to disturb him now with the light on in there looking for it.

He does not have this specific knife that you showed in your video.

I looked up the link for TOPS too. I have not looked at that website or searched for the TOPS brand in some time.

Thank you for sharing your video and showing us this knife.

I will tell my husband that you put up another video and show it to him.

My husband still has the movie, THE HUNTED, and he does not plan on donating it to the library as he did with so many of his other older and good films and shows. I do not know how long he will keep it but he has watched it several times.

Both of the 2 main actors in THE HUNTED have made some good films over the years.

I say this even though my husband and I have donated most of our films and shows to our library.

Both of us READ more than watch films or the boob tube. He did have a nice selection of films.

Take care!

Cate

PS: Did you catch how TLJ said what he said about 'guns' in the movie THE HUNTER? He said that he did not like guns to the one FBI agent.

When I heard that in the movie which I have watched several times but not as much as my husband, I said the following.

"One thing about a KNIFE is that you do not run out of ammunition and that you can use it for several things. Etc."

I am a huge supporter of QUALITY made axes, knives and 'hawks when it comes to camping, so called 'survival stuff', hiking, emergency situations, fishing, hunting even though I do not hunt but my husband does hunt, etc.

I have said that on several places online when it comes to specific subject matters.

My husband said that he will take a FIREARM and a KNIFE and depending on the circumstances, he could understand what I was getting at when it came to some situations.

ADDED MORE and typos!

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Glad you posted this. Very familiar with this knife. I have harsh opinions about it.

It’s a gimmick. It’s definitely cool but it’s actually a terrible design. My biggest criticism is the blade design being a pain to sharpen and for different task it doesn’t stand out over other knives.

Plus in a survival situation don’t take just one knife. Always at least have a knife for chopping and wood shavings and cutting. Then a knife that’s only for skinning and cleaning. Also a knife isn’t an axe or hammer. Chopping has limitations.

The Ontario afghan bush ended up being more practical. Still a good 1095 edge with good weight and easy blade geometry. It’s a clip point with a basic beveled edge.

Tops make good knives. They have great qc.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    @CavCop I’m glad you mentioned the Bob knife. Outstanding knife that more people need to consider.

Currently my three go to items for survival are: cold steel trail hawk, afghan Bush knife, and a cold steel finn bear for skinning/fish.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    @CavCop I’m glad you mentioned the Bob knife. Outstanding knife that more people need to consider.

Currently my three go to items for survival are: cold steel trail hawk, afghan Bush knife, and a cold steel finn bear for skinning/fish.

The BOB is one of my favorites. When I was about 16 I started buying fixed blade knives (and folders). Now in my 50’s I gave away many of my knives that I did not like and had no use for, and bought a few more to complete my knives I desired to own.

I used spend a lot of time in field/woods as an Infantryman, went hunting with friends, and camping with family where knives were used often. Now I work out of an office mostly, don’t really have east access to land/hunting, and family like hotels…

Tops Knives make a lot of neat blades and some I question. EJ Snyders Skullcrusher SXB from Tops looks like a Tracker on steroids.

I am into more Bushcraft style knives now vs combat knives I used to like. I find a 4.5-5” blade is better than a 5.5 or larger blade.

Out of my ESEE 4, KaBar Becker BK-16, Mora Garberg, Benchmade Bushcrafter, and Tops BOB, the Bob is my favorite.

Top Bottom