• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    So, for most of my life, I have been lucky enough to have close personal friends with some family property to hunt on. However, it has recently been parceled off to various family members and for the first time in over 5 years, I missed out on some deer hunting. Not wanting a repeat, I've been looking into lease options in the Central Texas area. I've read about some nice game ranches but I'm not too thrilled about a high dollar canned hunt. I'm looking to get a small group together(maybe 6 or 8 people) with similar hunting interests(deer and hogs, possibly birds) to get in on a lease. I wanted to guage other TGT members interest in participating. Before we get into specifics of where and how much, I wanted to gather a list of your expectations as a potential leasee. For example, would you want to bring a son, daughter or other guest ? Would you be willing to put some "sweat equity" into constructing trails, blinds, feed plots,etc. ? How far are you willing to travel from your hometown ? Do you have equipment you would leave on a secured property for other members to use(feeders,4 wheelers, UTVs, dirt bike, etc.) ? Are you OK with the idea of trophy fees if a landowner required pay based on bagged game ? Are you comfortable with another hunter consuming alcohol in yours or your familes presence(post hunt of course) ? Would you sign a liability waiver to put a landowner at ease ? What kind of amenities do you consider necessary at your potential campsite ?I know it's a lot to think about but before I get too excited, I wanted to see if it's even possible to make everyone happy and still have an affordable place to hunt. Let me hear what you think and maybe even make some suggestions if you have any. Thanks gents- Texmex
    Venture Surplus ad

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Would you want to bring a son, daughter or other guest? Yeah, I'd want to be able to bring a +1

Would you be willing to put some "sweat equity" into constructing trails, blinds, feed plots,etc.? No problem

How far are you willing to travel from your hometown? ~150mi radius from Austin area

Do you have equipment you would leave on a secured property for other members to use? Not at the moment but I could probably scrounge up a "camp truck" at some point.

Are you OK with the idea of trophy fees if a landowner required pay based on bagged game? hell no

Are you comfortable with another hunter consuming alcohol? only if you hand me one too

Would you sign a liability waiver to put a landowner at ease? sure

What kind of amenities do you consider necessary at your potential campsite? A hole to shit in? Really, I don't need much. I'd like access to it year round to just go camping in the off season.

How many acres are we talking? Budget?

Pilgrim

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Volente
    Would you want to bring a son, daughter or other guest? Yes, once in a while.

Would you be willing to put some "sweat equity" into constructing trails, blinds, feed plots,etc.? Yes.

How far are you willing to travel from your hometown? Within 2-3 hours drive from Cedar Park.

Do you have equipment you would leave on a secured property for other members to use? Not yet but I can help buy what is needed.

Are you OK with the idea of trophy fees if a landowner required pay based on bagged game? I don't care but it seems a little unfair...

Are you comfortable with another hunter consuming alcohol? No problem as long as he's comfortable seeing me throw up from time to time :)

Would you sign a liability waiver to put a landowner at ease? Yes

What kind of amenities do you consider necessary at your potential campsite? As long as the road is passable enough for my non-4x4 van camper I'm good to go.

Ericstac

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    TX
    Would you want to bring a son, daughter or other guest? Yes, +1, with one weekend designated for immediate family.

Would you be willing to put some "sweat equity" into constructing trails, blinds, feed plots,etc.? No.

How far are you willing to travel from your hometown? Within 2 hours of houston

Do you have equipment you would leave on a secured property for other members to use? Hitch feeder. And a trailer.

Are you OK with the idea of trophy fees if a landowner required pay based on bagged game? No.

Are you comfortable with another hunter consuming alcohol? More fun that way

What kind of amenities do you consider necessary at your potential campsite? Good road, good water, good septic, electric. I don't have to have cable, I will bring my directv.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Would you want to bring a son, daughter or other guest? Definitely

Would you be willing to put some "sweat equity" into constructing trails, blinds, feed plots,etc.? Certainly

How far are you willing to travel from your hometown? Within 2 hours of Stephenville

Do you have equipment you would leave on a secured property for other members to use? I have no issue letting adults use my gear to access areas for hunting or maintenance of the property. I do expect members to be responsible and respectful of other's gear and of the land.

Are you OK with the idea of trophy fees if a landowner required pay based on bagged game? No.

Are you comfortable with another hunter consuming alcohol? As long as they shared

Would you sign a liability waiver to put a landowner at ease? Yes ... but no Bill of Sale

What kind of amenities do you consider necessary at your potential campsite? Necessary? Electricity.

I like to hunt, but my primary reason for wanting on a lease is camp, relax and shoot.
    If I get to camp relax and shoot a pig, then its a bonus weekend.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX

Crap - that means ah'll hafta leave mah 1911's at home....

Would you want to bring a son, daughter or other guest? Yes, mebbe a coupla times/season, tops.

Would you be willing to put some "sweat equity" into constructing trails, blinds, feed plots,etc.? Sure.

How far are you willing to travel from your hometown? Within 2-3 hours drive from New Braunfels.

Do you have equipment you would leave on a secured property for other members to use? Not right now, but would get some, or kick into a kitty.

Are you OK with the idea of trophy fees if a landowner required pay based on bagged game? Absolutely not.

Are you comfortable with another hunter consuming alcohol? As long as it's not mine he's drinkin'!!!

What kind of amenities do you consider necessary at your potential campsite? Electricity/water would be nice, but whatever.

One other thing....I LOVE penny-ante poker, nickle max raise an' 3 raises/round max. Not enough $$$ to hurt anyone, or hurt feelings, but just enough to make it fun.​

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Good luck guys. I really hope you guys can get something together. Nothing like having a place to "get away from it all, with a bunch of good people"

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Some good input here so far. I am with you guys on pretty much everything so far. The area, expectations,etc. I only mentioned the trophy fees because the land owners I know are always concerned about a new group trying to bag their limit rather than develop some good trophy bucks through selective hunting. I am more of a meat in the freezer guy and in past years shoot mature bucks as well as help cull the undesireables. Usually limit myself to 2 a season cause that's all I can eat. Hopefully we get a few more interested and we can get the ball rollin' before next deer season. I am focusing on a lease somewhere between Johnson city and Rockdale and south of Waco.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    The mentioned area sounds good. I've got an atv. Don't mind sweat equity or an extra hunter now and then.
    Pretty much in line with all respondents so far.

scgstuff

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Central Texas
    For example, would you want to bring a son, daughter or other guest ? Yes

Would you be willing to put some "sweat equity" into constructing trails, blinds, feed plots,etc. ? Yes

How far are you willing to travel from your hometown ? Couple hours

Do you have equipment you would leave on a secured property for other members to use(feeders,4 wheelers, UTVs, dirt bike, etc.) ? Not currently

Are you OK with the idea of trophy fees if a landowner required pay based on bagged game ? No

Are you comfortable with another hunter consuming alcohol in yours or your familes presence(post hunt of course) ? As long as the guns are put away....

Would you sign a liability waiver to put a landowner at ease ? Yes

What kind of amenities do you consider necessary at your potential campsite ? Would be nice to have electric, but not required. Would be even nicer to have water.....

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Thanks for the Freaky video Dan. Maybe you have been in Austin too long. This is not the type of outfit we are looking to put together but I admit one of my employees and I got a good laugh out of that clip.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    So far we have about 8 members who have expressed some interest. I think that will do as far as filling a decent sized lease. I will be looking into a lease that fits the bill for everyone that is no less than 400 acres. I feel like anything smaller won't support a group of this size. I'll keep everyone posted as more details emerge.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    So far we have about 8 members who have expressed some interest. I think that will do as far as filling a decent sized lease. I will be looking into a lease that fits the bill for everyone that is no less than 400 acres. I feel like anything smaller won't support a group of this size. I'll keep everyone posted as more details emerge.

Thanks for taking this on. I hope to be a part of a lease near Cross Plains, but nothing is in concrete. So this sounds great.

A friend has a 650 acre lease near Bandera with 6 hunters. 3 or 4 lease owners show on a given weekend and always a friend or relative or two show as well.

Many of us double up in blinds.

Between Hamilton and Marble Falls seems to be a hot-bed.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom