• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Doc R., did I read in one of your posts that you were 20?

Just curious, that's all....

Yeah, 20 years old as of November 2 last year.

I made an educated guess based of the content of your previous posts in this thread and others.

In other words, yes, you made an assumption based on inference/interpretation. Did it even occur to you to ask about any of those things before you called me out? Did you even consider that you might be under-informed? Not trying to be a dick here, just asking honest questions.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Doc, you consider it "censoring" but the rest of us consider it "showing respect."

You should try considering others feelings sometime. It's very freeing to look outward instead of inward all the time.

It's counter-intuitive, but it really can help you take your eyes off your own problems. I think we are here on this rock to help each other along, instead being focused on ourselves all the time.

Last edited:

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Yeah, 20 years old as of November 2 last year.

In other words, yes, you made an assumption based on inference/interpretation. Did it even occur to you to ask about any of those things before you called me out? Did you even consider that you might be under-informed? Not trying to be a dick here, just asking honest questions.

No, your lack of maturity in your posts gives me no reason to believe any of those precautions would be taken and causes me to question whether or not you actually take adequate precautions.

I don't mean this as an insult, but you come across as a typical hot headed 20 y/o who has a LOT of growing up to do.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Doc, you consider it "censoring" but the rest of us consider it "showing respect."

You should try considering others feelings sometime. It's very freeing to look outward instead of inward all the time.

It's counter-intuitive, but it really can help you take your eyes off your own problems. I think we are here on this rock to help each other along, instead being focused on ourselves all the time.

I concur.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    No insult taken, Young. I know I've got a lot to learn, and I'm more than willing to learn. And I know that I can come off as a dick, confrontational, etc etc, and that I need to work on that. I've been trying for the past couple years, FWIW. If ya think I'm a pain now, you probably would've wanted to kill me when I was 16.

I still think you should've asked, though, especially if you weren't sure. Won't hold it against ya though.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Fair enough.

Glad you attempt to take the necessary precautions and hope with time my impression changes.

I would beat the hell out of my 18 y/o self for being a shit head(army had me straightened out by 20).

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    And I'm sure that if I were able to join up (health issues mean I'm automatically DQ'ed from service), I would've been straightened out too. Sad thing is, if anything time in service made my brother even worse... Granted, he did spend four years as pretty much the only one who knew his way around the kitchen (serving his country... One meal at a time :P ).

Anyway, back on-topic. Provided that the current mental health system gets a much-needed overhaul, decisions like this can only be a good thing. Streets are safer, and a few people get some much needed help. There's literally no major downside to it.

2ManyGuns

Revolver's, get one, shoot the snot out of it!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Somewhere in Texas!
    @Doc Roe, if you practice self-control, it will become second nature. Take it from some one who was very wild as a young man. Doesn't mean that I still don't drop an occasional f-bomb when warranted, I do, but in the course of civil conversation it is not needed.

Good luck, and I sincerly wish you to succeed in learning that control.

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    The reason this is scary is inline with the Orson Wells comment. I have no problem with trying to get people who are mentally unstable and a viable threat to others off the street. However, having some dedicated squad to hunting down these people and forcing them into an institution where they can be force fed medication for the rest of their lives seems like a really scary approach. As also mentioned, this kind of judgment is left to the NYPD and NYC officials. And frankly I don't trust those clowns to make those calls. The same people who don't want you to drink soda, use a Styrofoam cup, eat a donut, have firearms, and notoriously shot 9 passersby in a ridiculous pursuit of a lone gunmen, are going to be the ones to decide who is deemed unfit for society? Shoving more drugs down the throats of the mentally ill is not a real solution. Yes, I know that they are helpful, and I know many people who have been on them and they were of great help, but they can be equally as destructive to other people, even while they are actively taking them.

The Truth About Mass Shootings and Psychotropic Drugs - YouTube - A good video with Hoss USMC here. Give it watch. I was shocked to hear that one of the side effects of many of these drugs is suicidal thoughts, which is precisely one of the things it's supposed to be fixing, no?

I'm not trying to be offensive here to anyone who might have successfully used these meds as a crutch to get through a rough patch (though I am with a lot of folks here who have been saying that if you are currently on them do your best to take every possible precaution to not make your firearms available to you if you are going to run out of medication). But the fact is that this is becoming a huge problem in America and any modern nation. I wonder how many diagnosed people could have been remedied with non pharmaceutical treatments. Sure, the other methods wouldn't work nearly as quickly, but I suspect that they would have a better chance of permanently solving the problem, and not a temporary fix that was subject to your ability to afford those drugs.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Courts can mandate meds out of treatment? hahahaha. No one takes their meds once they are back on the street. They need money for booze.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    My schizophrenic mom gets arrested every once in awhile and gets committed. In Texas you are released once the Dr. determines you are stable and not a threat to yourself or others. The courts in Texas can not make you take your meds once you are discharged. You are deemed a stable person ( because the judge ordered forced meds in you while you were committed). Once released you are no longer under a judges orders. In America it is not against the law to be crazy, just can not be a threat to your self or others. She gets released and never takes any meds until she gets arrested again.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Liberal ideology: take every bit of freedom you can from the citizen and when they get used to that, take some more.

RetArmySgt

Glad to be back.
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    College Station
    I don't know what all is required to be out on court ordered meds but the article does state that this includes people who have never been found guilty of any crime.

I do know in the 90's in California half of my Middle school was on court ordered ADD meds because teachers didnt want to deal with students.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    The only problem I have with this is that the system is so messed up that half of the people on meds are on the wrong ones.
    They are all to often mis-diagnosed and just have the medicine shoved down their throat and let loose. I think real treatment would include someone actually listening to what they are saying and trying to help instead of the way things are now. If more people actually listened to mentally ill people and paid attention to their actions I think there would be a lot less crime by the mentally ill. They are shouting to be heard and to be helped but sometimes nobody is there to listen.

This.

The whole push for more mental health involvement in our criminal justice system (and gun ownership issues in particular) should leave you cold. People pushing for those things either don't understand how horribly screwed up, politicized and stone-age our mental health care industry really is, or are pushing an agenda and recognize how they could use the horrible shortcomings of that industry to their advantage.

I'm saying that as a former victim of that industry. I was wrongly medicated with ritalin in middle school. Not because I had an actual mental issue, but because I was bored out of my mind and didn't pay attention in school because of it. Rather than someone actually, you know, doing their job, it was "here, pump him full of drugs. Find out the root problem? Nahhh."

Top Bottom