Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Rut Roh!!

Texas National Guard member charged with human smuggling

1712193294106.png

A Texas National Guard soldier, deployed to Eagle Pass as part of Gov. Greg Abbott’s Operation Lone Star, was arrested Sunday for allegedly attempting to smuggle a migrant over the U.S.-Mexico border.

Texas’ Department of Public Safety confirmed in a statement to NewsNation that Savion Johnson, 26, is charged with evading arrest, smuggling of persons and unlawful carry of a weapon.

Kinney County Sheriff Brad Coe said the soldier turned around when he approached a pop-up tactical Border Patrol checkpoint off Highway 674 that had only been operational for a few days...

(Full story and video at title link)
    ARJ Defense ad

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Probably approached while off duty and offered a way to make some quick cash.

You’d think the prospect of being owned by a cartel would be enough to stay out of that kind of mess.

Remember what Pablo said: Plata o plomo? May not be as simple as greed. These folks don’t screw around and more often than not make offers that folks can’t refuse. Well, they could but that might result in them and their families having tragic accidents.

Not making excuses for the dude as he could just be a POS, but there might be more to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Remember what Pablo said: Plata o plomo? May not be as simple as greed. These folks don’t screw around and more often than not make offers that folks can’t refuse. Well, they could but that might result in them and their families having tragic accidents.

Not making excuses for the dude as he could just be a POS, but there might be more to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s possible.

Father of a guy that works for me was offered cash to carry people across the border. Wasn’t threatened, just offered cash. Gave him a phone and he called when he took a load across the border. Came back with cash and extra cargo. He took the deal and made money until he went to federal prison. Don’t know exactly what he was paid, guy just said they had money for everything, then his dad went to prison and they were broke. This woulda been around mid ‘90s. I’m sure things have changed.

Maybe this guy was threatened. Good chance he just saw a chance to make a couple months pay in a day. (Depending on rank. Don’t know if they are getting any extra pay for the border, but I doubt it).

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    This.
    Hell's coming to breakfast.
    I advise "do not rely on state".

Same outcome either way.

DPS goes to border. Sees people crossing. Calls BP. BP apprehends. They get their food card, cash, cell phone, and released in to the country.

This guy attempts to smuggle them in. Gets caught. Illegal runs for it. Gets caught by BP. Released in to country.

If they’d gotten away with it….illegal is released in to the country.

At this point it’s nothing more than getting a headcount.

BigRed

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2021
    Midwest
    Same outcome either way.

DPS goes to border. Sees people crossing. Calls BP. BP apprehends. They get their food card, cash, cell phone, and released in to the country.

This guy attempts to smuggle them in. Gets caught. Illegal runs for it. Gets caught by BP. Released in to country.

If they’d gotten away with it….illegal is released in to the country.

At this point it’s nothing more than getting a headcount.

My comment was meant to note that when some illegal alien is invading your property, don't rely upon state to take care of it. You're on your own.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    My comment was meant to note that when some illegal alien is invading your property, don't rely upon state to take care of it. You're on your own.

Yeah, I probably should t have quoted you. Read your post and my train of thought eventually got to what I typed.

But I also read it as don’t trust the state to secure the border. Which is equally true, not necessarily for lack of trying (depending on which definition of “state” you use)

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    That’s possible.

Father of a guy that works for me was offered cash to carry people across the border. Wasn’t threatened, just offered cash. Gave him a phone and he called when he took a load across the border. Came back with cash and extra cargo. He took the deal and made money until he went to federal prison. Don’t know exactly what he was paid, guy just said they had money for everything, then his dad went to prison and they were broke. This woulda been around mid ‘90s. I’m sure things have changed.

Maybe this guy was threatened. Good chance he just saw a chance to make a couple months pay in a day. (Depending on rank. Don’t know if they are getting any extra pay for the border, but I doubt it).
    Having worked with a guy doing CNT who was smuggling drugs back to the US for the same people we were working to stop, I’m with you on this. The guy was probably just given the opportunity to double dip in this situation and thought he could get away with it.

Just to point out how screwed up we are as a country though(as if any of us don’t already know), if you change his Guard uniform out for a pilot uniform, then he’s just doing what the federal government is paying him to do.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Probably approached while off duty and offered a way to make some quick cash.

You’d think the prospect of being owned by a cartel would be enough to stay out of that kind of mess.
    I'm sure that will be the defense that the cartel threatened to kill his whole family if he didn't comply.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    I'm confused by this whole story. Why are they paying people to smuggle illegals across the border? Cant they just walk across? As for the boy I guess he just made a stupid mistake. Wanted some easy cash and street cred so he could brag about being a cartel mafia crime boss to his homies. Well now he can smuggle drugs, cigarettes, phones etc. in his ass while he's in jail.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom