• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    Yep, that is correct. We are missing 70,000,000 hogs. How is that possible? Ask the biologists/scientists.

Apparently, 'scientists' don't have a clue, or Texas hunters and trappers are totally awesome. By their predictions and me just running the numbers, I would say that Texas is missing about 70,000,000 pigs that should be here right now.

For example, the biologists have been saying that Texas had 2 million hogs starting around 2002 with a 18-21% population growth per year, call it 20% for easier math. That is 20% growth over and above hunting pressure, natural diseases, roadkills, etc. That 20% would be compounded annually for this calculation and so by now, we should have over 76 million hogs in Texas, assuming with had 2.0 million at the start in 2002 and a 20% annual growth rate as claimed. Only recently have the 'experts' been saying that they really don't know how many hogs are in Texas. I can tell you this much. The population isn't growing by 20% per year. The latest highest estimates have Texas hogs at no more than 6 million and most folks think it is closer to 3-5 million and some think we are still around 1.5-2.6 million, almost as if the population hasn't grown or grown much. If that is the case, the population isn't growing by 20% per year. If there are years where it grows by that much, then there must be years where it declines by that much because we are missing some 70 million piggies.

Historic count from 2002: "Wilkins said the wild hogs now number more than 2 million statewide."
    https://agrilifetoday.tamu.edu/2002/10/04/animals-more-affected-by-drought-when-people-get-involved/

Stated Growth Rate Example:
    https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/nuisance/feral_hogs/

The fact of the matter is that these biologists do some population sampling from given environments, taking into account the carrying capacity and size of said environments, and extrapolating the hog population from there. It is pretty hokey if you want to actually determine a correct number. It is a flawed system by which to conduct a census. And apparently, nobody has been bothering to fact check them.
    Lynx Defense

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I wondered if the big freeze Texas had impacted the pig population like it did deer. A friend in the hill country told me they lost hundreds of deer during the big freeze. His neighbor found 14 deer dead under a big oak tree.

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    I wondered if the big freeze Texas had impacted the pig population like it did deer. A friend in the hill country told me they lost hundreds of deer during the big freeze. His neighbor found 14 deer dead under a big oak tree.
    Very strange during that freeze in 21. I also heard that from a lot of people yet our Axis seemed unaffected. About 6 weeks after the freeze this was the view from my back porch. I never found any dead deer.
    DCD920E6-FF9A-4C73-9D1D-F40E9C7FABC3.jpeg

wakosama

Collapse now - Avoid the rush
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2022
    Spring
    don't worry they're all gonna be replaced by the Canadian 'super' hog invasion that was posted about on here a while back. Canadian bacon is supposed to be the 'best' too.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    They use the system for all animals including fish and it's a total failure. Un educated guestiation at best.

Right! I can recall actually learning to use it or a similar system back in '89 when I took mammalogy. You determine the carrying capacity of the environment and do a population count for the species there and then extrapolate the results over areas of the same basic habitat in order to estimate populations. There should be a population range to account for habitat surpluses and shortages.

There were a lot of shortcomings, no doubt, like accounting for areas where the hog population is much greater or much less than would be anticipated given a location's carrying capacity. Somewhere along the way, they derived population growth numbers that I would guess are based on the flawed conclusions drawn from their flawed data that is based on flawed sampling, hence why we are 70 million hogs short, if not more.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    from my understanding you aren't going to get much bacon from feral hogs unless you pen them up and start feeding them to fatten them up!
    On most, no, you won't. However, I have been very impressed with a few fatties over the years and one year 3 or 4 years ago where we had several with good bacon on them. Otherwise, not so much.

Top Bottom