Hurley's Gold

Texas House passes bill that reduces penalties for Texans caught with small amounts of marijuana

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    ;.....
    Which is probably the logic behind MJ being a Schedule I drug. And why it probably won’t come off that list for a while.

Not disagreeing.

Just still wondering how CBD, an obvious non-psychoactive cannabis product came to be legal and readily available in Texas.

Heck, the table at the gun show displays a whole range of CBD products to be used to treat pain, chronic fatigue, post-traumatic stress, hemorrhoids, fire ants and music-induced tinnitus.

Amazing, indeed.
    Gun Zone Deals

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    This is why I don’t get swayed much by most of the anti pot arguments.

How many heroin addicts never drank a beer first, just jumped straight to heroin?

How many pot smokers never touched heroin?

The questions really don’t address anything and without taking in to account numerous other statistics that probably don’t exist, even the answer to your question is meaningless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A guy I was once friends with a guy who started with beer, then MJ. Then he started putting other stuff on his MJ. Angel Dust, coke, who knows what else. Then I find out he was smoking opium. So yeah, at least one example of it being a gateway drug.

The gateway drug argument is real. No stats to gauge it, but many here likely know "that guy" who did the same as my former friend.

"If MJ makes me feel this good, how about I add __________ to it."

12 years in prison didn't help him. He's a screwed up mess. Talented guy too. At least he used to be.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    So was it beer or MJ that was the gateway or was it something in his DNA or mental health that drove him to try harder and more potent drugs to fix his issues.

A guy I was once friends with a guy who started with beer, then MJ. Then he started putting other stuff on his MJ. Angel Dust, coke, who knows what else. Then I find out he was smoking opium. So yeah, at least one example of it being a gateway drug.

The gateway drug argument is real. No stats to gauge it, but many here likely know "that guy" who did the same as my former friend.

"If MJ makes me feel this good, how about I add __________ to it."

12 years in prison didn't help him. He's a screwed up mess. Talented guy too. At least he used to be.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    So was it beer or MJ that was the gateway or was it something in his DNA or mental health that drove him to try harder and more potent drugs to fix his issues.
    I can read between the lines and see the argument you make. Deemus stated there were no stats to gauge it but even if there were, would those stats be accurate? Let's look at commonality though. MANY people drink alcohol and use neither MJ or harder drugs. Many just use MJ. Many hard core drug addicts will say they use to use MJ. Again, not many just pickup a crack pipe for the first time to become an addict.

Maybe there is something in their DNA where they have a propensity for addiction BUT they first have to make consecutive choices to choose to use drugs. We all have the bent to sin, it just comes in many different flavors. Then we have to throw in environmental factors. Growing up at 12 and 13, we would sneak smokes and a beer out into the woods, it has obviously evolved since then. I saw my dad consistently smoke even past heart attack one and I had freaking asthma as a kid. If the bigger people were doing it, we wanted to do it too. Parents know there kids are basically video and behavior recorders of themselves. I speak in generalities.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Not disagreeing.

Just still wondering how CBD, an obvious non-psychoactive cannabis product came to be legal and readily available in Texas.

Heck, the table at the gun show displays a whole range of CBD products to be used to treat pain, chronic fatigue, post-traumatic stress, hemorrhoids, fire ants and music-induced tinnitus.

Amazing, indeed.

CBD that has any detectable amount of THC is not legal. Just saw an interesting news report on this. Apparently, quite a bit of CBD does have THC.

GoPappy

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Regarding MJ being a gateway drug:

My son became addicted to crack cocaine. He eventually beat the crack addiction, but had to smoke pot to stay away from the crack.

His comment to me about pot is that, yes, it is a gateway drug. But that gateway goes both directions. For him, it was a gateway BACK from the hard stuff.

Today he doesn't smoke pot or use any drugs and is a productive member of society.

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    CBD that has any detectable amount of THC is not legal. Just saw an interesting news report on this. Apparently, quite a bit of CBD does have THC.

Close to true but wrong.

Probably all CBD has some THC. It legally can by federal USDA regulation.

"The tetrahydrocannabinols (THC) concentration is the distinguishing factor between industrial hemp and marijuana. Industrial hemp cannot have a THC concentration more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis. The term “THC” includes all isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers of tetrahydrocannabinols."

https://nifa.usda.gov/industrial-hemp

A ton of industrial hemp can legally contain 2,721 grams of THC by law.
    That's 96 ounces or about 6 pounds of pure THC.

:)

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Close to true but wrong.

Probably all CBD has some THC. It legally can by federal USDA regulation.

"The tetrahydrocannabinols (THC) concentration is the distinguishing factor between industrial hemp and marijuana. Industrial hemp cannot have a THC concentration more than 0.3 percent on a dry weight basis. The term “THC” includes all isomers, acids, salts, and salts of isomers of tetrahydrocannabinols."

https://nifa.usda.gov/industrial-hemp

A ton of industrial hemp can legally contain 2,721 grams of THC by law.
    That's 96 ounces or about 6 pounds of pure THC.

:)

I was referring to Texas law

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    And I will say this, we all know people who smoke and do not do any other drugs. However, I do not know anyone on harder drugs that didn't start on pot.

Not interested in changing anyone's opinion, nor having a discussion about that. It hits very close to home for me.

You don't make a problem better by compounding it. Leave pot illegal in Texas

OFFascist

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2013
    Portland, TX
    You don't make a problem better by compounding it. Leave pot illegal in Texas

Well in the mattress shooting those guys solved the problem for everyone else by compounding it.

I've had close family that basically drunk themselves to death. I don't blame alcohol nor do I think it needs any additional restrictions, in fact I would support lowering the drinking age to 18. Individuals alone are responsible for thier own actions.

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    This subject always stirs up opinions on both sides of the fence. It’s so important to respect others opinions even if they aren’t the same as yours but the most common thread I see when it comes to cannabis their is a lot of incorrect information floating around. For me it’s as simple as this, if it’s legal to purchase alcohol & tobacco it should be legal to posses Marijuana. But to be honest my world will continue to rotate if it’s ever legal or not.

Now what are we gonna do about that Free Shit Army!!!!! I love that and yeah there is a Free Shit Army.

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    For me it’s as simple as this, if it’s legal to purchase alcohol & tobacco it should be legal to posses Marijuana. But to be honest my world will continue to rotate if it’s ever legal or not.

Now what are we gonna do about that Free Shit Army!!!!! I love that and yeah there is a Free Shit Army.

How many in that free shit army are MJ tokers? Lots of takers and a lot less producers.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    So my wife and I have been going to marriage counseling since November. I was super skeptical at first, but it's actually helped, a LOT...This afternoon at 4 is going to be our last session, and we almost canceled it because we are really communicating better than we ever have before... it really helped within less than a month of going, and the cognitive therapy stuff (which I thought was bs) actually worked for us.

Our counselor is a neuropsychologist, as well as an MD who worked for 30-some odd years for both local, and a VA hospitals. He says he oversaw at least several 1000 cases involving all kinds of addictions and dependencies and treatment regimens, beyond the normal other stuff he did.

When we were discussing one of our relatives who has an 18 year old kid seemingly addicted to pot, I was kind of shocked when he laid out his personal harm/danger list.

To him, Marijuana was absolutely the least dangerous drug, with it's legal status being the most dangerous aspect. So far, there have been zero documented deaths as a result of 'od'ing on pot. Ever.

There is a % of people who can become clinically paranoid, or clinically depressed after using too much pot. Between 2 and 4.something % of extremely heavy users (pretty much smoking 18+hours a day for over a year) end up with something along these lines.

Car accidents? Falling off of cliffs? Walking into traffic? Sure...but those are no different than alcohol.

Cancer? Most likely along the same lines as smoking... but there are evidently many alternatives to smoking it that so far seem to be far less likely to cause cancer..time will tell...

However, you can die from too much alcohol. It is, literally, a poisonous substance. You can also die from too little if you are dependent. I really thought the latter was bs, but after talking with him, I looked it up, and it's true. DTs can cause death through several different mechanisms, none of them pleasant, at least one of them guaranteed to occur if one is severely addicted for an extended time.

My dad was a korean war vet (enlisted) and a 28 year Houston police officer... wore a buzz cut pretty much from toddler, all the way to the grave. True American Hard Ass. At 13 he took each of us boys downtown to central lockup, put us in a cell and gave us a condom and his coming of age speech: Get drunk and get in a wreck, we'd have to pay for all damages. Get a girl pregnant, marry her. Take a whiff of pot, coke, heroin, etc, kicked out of the family after he beat our ass.

However, sitting around the fire at the deer lease 40 something years later when he was 77 years old, he said that keeping pot- all drugs for that matter- illegal was one of the biggest mistakes in American history. WTF?

Just my 2 cents, but I agree with them. To me, there are far worse things than pot, alcohol being one of them. If we regulated pot the way we regulate alcohol, nationally and by state, the cartels pot profit center would disappear, and the people who sold pot would have the same vested interest in keeping it out of the hands of kids as liquor stores do now.

Rant off...

Sublime

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2019
    Dallas
    If you drink alcohol yet are opposed to marijuana...just go ahead and STFU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh now you done did it. Next margarita I get at happy hour and I am gonna post here with a pic.

I hang out with some pretty well to do people, one guy owns a minor league BBall team, others have multiple houses and make decisions on hundreds of million dollar projects. All successful and all decent drinkers. Hell, I bought $2500 worth of alcohol for a party. I doubt that would be possible if they were all tokers. I really don't think it is a fair comparison. That said, I'd be ok if alcohol was banned too but that cat is out of the bag so why make it worse with legalizing MJ?

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    To me, there are far worse things than pot, alcohol being one of them. If we regulated pot the way we regulate alcohol, nationally and by state, the cartels pot profit center would disappear, and the people who sold pot would have the same vested interest in keeping it out of the hands of kids as liquor stores do now.Rant off...
    I learned how to make a decent tasting wine while in junior high school. Hang overs were not as bad as Boone's Farm & it cost about $3.00 per gallon. Matter of fact my parents were fine with my new hobby, until I went into production on a grander scale.

Growing weed can't be any harder giving a place to do it & seeds. With the internet as a guide My guess it's easier then ever.

And manufacturing a machine gun really aint hard giving the right guns, tools & parts.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    AmyG
    Top Bottom