• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    " I make a photo copy of their drivers license and Canceled Handgun License (if they have one). By doing this I know I’m covered for most situations that might arise regarding that firearm. It’s a bit much for most Texans but I know my butt is covered."

Doing this protects you from nothing and exposes you to extreme risk.....bad, bad idea.
    Capitol Armory ad

docbrazos

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Weatherford, Texas
    Back to the original Question.
    Never had any dealings with a C&R License Sale. As I understand it it's for Buying Guns Not Selling.
    If once a gun is aquired under a C&R It becomes personal property, Then FTF no Paperwork would be Ok here in Texas.

somedudefromhouston

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    houston
    Each of us has to do that which we're comfortable with - but there is NO man that'll be copying my DL *or* CHL for a FTF gun purchase. Period. Feel free to "require" that - each of us has our own level of acceptable risk - but understand that you'll be selling nothing to me. No hard feelings, but there is *no* legal reason for the seller to have that information from me - and what happens if someone breaks into their house, finds those records - they now have a new shopping list!
    I have done a "few" FTF in the recent past , and in a couple cases there was a mutually agreed to courtesy glance at a CHL or DL to make both parties comfy that each was not a prohibited person. No copies are made, its just a peek at the card. I was OK with this as both buyer and seller. If some one is nervous about the sale , either A: dont do it, or B: keep a record of the contacts made , email, phone name etc to whatever extent you want.
    Like TR , you wont get a copy of anything of mine.

Nate C

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2008
    Black Cat Ridge
    I have done a "few" FTF in the recent past , and in a couple cases there was a mutually agreed to courtesy glance at a CHL or DL to make both parties comfy that each was not a prohibited person. No copies are made, its just a peek at the card. I was OK with this as both buyer and seller. If some one is nervous about the sale , either A: dont do it, or B: keep a record of the contacts made , email, phone name etc to whatever extent you want.
    Like TR , you wont get a copy of anything of mine.

Same here. I don't copy the purchaser's name/address, but will jot down their license number on the bill of sale. No harm in that; it is a meaningless series of numbers that doesn't expose them to any risk and mitigates my potential liability.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Here's what I do California guy.
    When I buy a gun from an individual, I write his DL info down and store it in my files. That way if the gun ever creates legal issues for me due to something that happened before I bought it , I'll have the info for who I got it from. Actually, I wont buy a gun from an individual if they want to go to a FFL. FFL aint required for private sales and I aint going to act like I want it that way either.
    Texas aint got the best gunright around, but there a whole lot better than california.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    These "I know my butt is covered" and "protected from liability" people don't know what they are talking about. There is zero reason to take down the buyer's information. You are breaking the law if you knowingly sell to a prohibited person. I can't believe anyone would allow a stranger to copy their personal information.

OP, welcome to a free State! I have sold plenty of handguns in parking lots to other Texans, and I will never know what their names are.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    These "I know my butt is covered" and "protected from liability" people don't know what they are talking about. There is zero reason to take down the buyer's information. You are breaking the law if you knowingly sell to a prohibited person. I can't believe anyone would allow a stranger to copy their personal information.

OP, welcome to a free State! I have sold plenty of handguns in parking lots to other Texans, and I will never know what their names are.
    I Know exactly what im talking about, because that the way I do it. I never said the man had to do it that way and I never said thats the way the law wants it either. Read a little slower next time and maybe you'll comprehend what I wrote a little better.
    I wrote, I want their DL info in case I have issue's with that gun having some kind of previous problems. Such as IT WAS STOLEN!!! OR SOMEBODY KILLED SOMEBODY WITH IT!!!
    That man can do his transactions his own way. Nobody is telling him anything but what they do.
    For your information, I can get anybodies DL#. Its very easy and doesnt accomplish anything.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    For your information, I can get anybodies DL#. Its very easy and doesnt accomplish anything.

True - but you'll NOT get it from me in a gun transaction. I tell EVERYONE - if they want to copy down ANY personal information and they're not an FFL, tell 'em to go piss up a rope. It beyond the legal requirements, and puts you at a higher risk of ID theft. Period. The more folks that figure that out and tell folks wanting such info they ain't gettin' it, the sooner this stupid idea will die.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    True - but you'll NOT get it from me in a gun transaction. I tell EVERYONE - if they want to copy down ANY personal information and they're not an FFL, tell 'em to go piss up a rope. It beyond the legal requirements, and puts you at a higher risk of ID theft. Period. The more folks that figure that out and tell folks wanting such info they ain't gettin' it, the sooner this stupid idea will die.

You got a good point. Most of the info taken on guns I bought is written down as just the name of the person and address. The only DL numbers I have is from copied lisence when someone brings a gun to my shop to sell me.
    As an individual, I just dont want to end up with something stolen or worse. Knida makes me wonder what the best option is. Covering my butt always seems like a good idea.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    If for some reason one is incapable of gun/cash/handshake then:

See second sentence of my second post (#17) in this thread.

I understand what your getting at. Even thow I am a person who hates gun restrictions and think the CHL is a violation of our right, im 100% in favor of making sure someone aint selling me a stolen firearm or a firearm that has been involved in a crime. The legal issues you will face if that ever becomes a case and you cant show proof of where you got the gun are not in your favor. I have a very good story of a friend of mine being involved in such an issue.
    Also a year or so ago I bought a colt from a local guy. The 357 was very nice and tight. Little did I know he used a punch to tighten up a worn out cylinder latch. When I went to go shoot the thing. The latch blew off it and caused me some serious problem. When I bought the gun from him, I got his name and address off his lisence and made him sign the piece of paper. Im going to hang to joker out to dry.
    I'll post the story about my friends issue later when I get a chance. You'll find it very interesting.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    The 357 was very nice and tight. Little did I know he used a punch to tighten up a worn out cylinder latch. When I went to go shoot the thing. The latch blew off it and caused me some serious problem. When I bought the gun from him, I got his name and address off his lisence and made him sign the piece of paper. Im going to hang to joker out to dry.
    I'll post the story about my friends issue later when I get a chance. You'll find it very interesting.

Good luck with THAT. You're going to have a seriously hard time proving HE did the punching - and that it wasn't something you did. A casual sale has no guarantees....

As for your buddy - sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing it. I've seen folks involved in similar scenarios, and the issue resolved itself pretty quickly WITHOUT any bills of sales, etc.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Good luck with THAT. You're going to have a seriously hard time proving HE did the punching - and that it wasn't something you did. A casual sale has no guarantees....

As for your buddy - sorry, but I'm having a hard time believing it. I've seen folks involved in similar scenarios, and the issue resolved itself pretty quickly WITHOUT any bills of sales, etc.
    Having a hard time believeing what? A story I aint even posted about my buddy yet, or the issue with the 357?
    And if you've seen issue's resolve without any trouble then thats great, but it dont mean it will always happen that way. Some people use firearms to do very bad things, and I dont want to be stuck with the blame.
    Believe me, Im always in trouble and have no problem testing unjust laws. Being stuck with the blame for a gun crime just aint going to happen if I can help it.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I Know exactly what im talking about, because that the way I do it. I never said the man had to do it that way and I never said thats the way the law wants it either. Read a little slower next time and maybe you'll comprehend what I wrote a little better.
    I wrote, I want their DL info in case I have issue's with that gun having some kind of previous problems.

My point is that there is no way selling a gun to someone can "come back and hurt you" (as long as you follow State and federal law). That is an internet myth.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The legal issues you will face if that ever becomes a case and you cant show proof of where you got the gun are not in your favor. I have a very good story of a friend of mine being involved in such an issue.

There are no legal issues if you did not break the law when you sold it.

I have a good story too. Bought an RPB M10 45 ACP. Sold it to a friend who sold to who-knows-who. It wound up illegally converted to Full-Auto, and used in a murder. ATF traced it to dealer. By chance I & guy I sold it to were in store when ATF trace came in, dealer told them who he sold it to, told them I was standing right here. Gave me the phone, my total time with ATF was 15 seconds. My friend explained he sold it to an unknown person, his total time with ATF was 30 seconds. Nothing happens if you do not break the law.

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    What worries me is if I sell a gun that I purchased with all the FFL transfer's and somebody shoots someone with it, what will happen if the laws find the gun and trace it back to me even thow I sold it? If you dont have any transaction information, we all know how that will turn out.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    If you dont have any transaction information, we all know how that will turn out.

Haven't you read what others have replied to you with DIRECT experience and knowledge?!?!?? More than one has been there, done that - and told you that NOTHING HAPPENED. Period. They told them it was sold, done. What more can you be told?

Top Bottom