• ...and so much more!
  • codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Checking on my feeders at my place in ferris this morning, I stirred up a few whitetail. I had never seen deer on that place and assumed they were on the other side of the Trinity and I never would. I'm going to keep my eye on them as we head into the fall and see if I can't gather a decent herd with some protein and a small food plot. The problem is, while Dallas county DID open a deer season this year, it's archery only. I don't have a desire to get into compounds and all that comes with them, I'm a rifle guy. I still would like the option of taking one if I get some decent bucks or an old doe for meat (I'll have to look back and see if antlerless are permitted).

So I'm in the market for a simple, adequate crossbow. I'd like something that will take an optic, be consistent, and of course, not break the bank, as I'll be surprised if it actually ever gets used. Although, I do plan on taking a few hogs with it for some practice. Anybody out there into crossbows? What can I expect for effective range? Is there anything I should look for or avoid?
    Texas SOT

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Are crossbows legal for your archery season? I haven't checked recently but they used to be legal during archery season for handicapped people only. Everybody else had to use them during rifle season.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    My cousin got busted about 25 years ago with a crossbow in Bow Season and it cost him about $500. They also kept the Crossbow

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    Crap.

TPWD Means and Methods

Crossbow:

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Crossbows are lawful for any person during the Archery-Only Open Season in all counties except Collin, Dallas, Grayson and Rockwall counties, where no person may use a crossbow to hunt deer during the Archery-Only Open Season unless the person has an upper-limb disability and has in immediate possession a physician's statement that certifies the extent of the disability. An upper-limb disability is a permanent loss of the use of fingers, hand, or arm in a manner that renders the person incapable of using a longbow, compound bow, or recurved bow.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    I guess no crossbows in Dallas. I'm still going to feed these damn things. Maybe they'll open up rifle season in a few years. By then, hopefully I'll have a sizeable population.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ok. Glad you know it is legal.

I had a Horton about 5 years ago. I enjoyed it but it got boring so I sold it.

They are like anything else, you can spend a bundle for top of the line or spend nothing for a basic model. Mine was mid range in price and had a red dot sight on it. I would spend more for a scoped model if I bought one again. I never saw the need for the crank string puller thing, but I can see how someone might need it. They are way easier to shoot than a bow that is for sure.

The best deals I have seen is in the bargain cave at Cabela's. They also have everything else for them.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    A couple years ago they let everybody start hunting with them, it stirred up a lot of controversy, but sales went through the roof. Supposedly, the prices have come down pretty low these days on some great crossbows because of it. Rifle guys like me could go out and hunt with something similar to what they were already using and hunt during archery season Dallas just opened up deer season for archery this year, so its understandable that they are limiting crossbows. Maybe I'll get one anyways and try it out on the hogs. I've always thought they were pretty cool.

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    The best deals I have seen is in the bargain cave at Cabela's. They also have everything else for them.

I never think about the bargain cave for stuff like this and remember just about the time I pay too much elsewhere. Haha!

I'm staying right across the highway from the Buda location while I'm working on a project in south Austin. I'll have to stop in and see what they've got.

The_Hunter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    Now Dallas
    Cody honestly go go get a compound bow. I was just a rifle guy for a long time and finally let my brother in low talk me in to a bow. It is 1000% time more rewarding to hunt with a bow.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    IMPORTANT NOTICE: Crossbows are lawful for any person during the Archery-Only Open Season in all counties except Collin, Dallas, Grayson and Rockwall counties, where no person may use a crossbow to hunt deer during the Archery-Only Open Season unless the person has an upper-limb disability and has in immediate possession a physician's statement that certifies the extent of the disability. An upper-limb disability is a permanent loss of the use of fingers, hand, or arm in a manner that renders the person incapable of using a longbow, compound bow, or recurved bow.

OK, I'm confused now. One of my neighbors has a new crossbow and is planning to use it for this upcoming archery season. Are you certain that this info is correct? The way I read this is that crossbows are LEGAL as any other bow except in the four counties listed. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Flash

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    OK, I'm confused now. One of my neighbors has a new crossbow and is planning to use it for this upcoming archery season. Are you certain that this info is correct? The way I read this is that crossbows are LEGAL as any other bow except in the four counties listed. Is that correct?

Thanks!

Flash

Yep, that's the way I read it. Perfectly legal as long as you're not hunting in one of those counties listed.

cleric

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    DFW
    Watch your weights. Compound bows are a balancing act between pull, draw, and arrow. Range can be far if you have the strength, and right set up. Think a heavy slow bullet versus a light and fast one.

Make sure to get it sized to you and not over exert yourself the first few times out. The motion works muscles people don't usually work and they can hurt themselves easily.

Also never dry fire a bow

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Shouldn't be too bad with a cross bow, I remember when I first got my compound and shot it a lot that fist day. I was HURTIN later. Haven't shot it in a while now and would have to break in to it all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    You can use a crosbow durring rifle season but NOT bow season unless your handicapped. Unless you have a reason you NEED a crossbow get a compound. Crossbows are the GAY mans Compound bow.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    A couple years ago they let everybody start hunting with them, it stirred up a lot of controversy, but sales went through the roof. Supposedly, the prices have come down pretty low these days on some great crossbows because of it. Rifle guys like me could go out and hunt with something similar to what they were already using and hunt during archery season Dallas just opened up deer season for archery this year, so its understandable that they are limiting crossbows. Maybe I'll get one anyways and try it out on the hogs. I've always thought they were pretty cool.

Never heard anything about this....Either way crossbows are GAY. If I can hit squirrels at 55 yards with my compound you could hit a deer at 30.

Top Bottom