• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    The Retailer is just a FFL in OK City (I looked up the address and it is a regular brick house in a neighborhood). The owner seems to have a regular job in addition to the FFL business because I sent the payment Certified and it needed to be 'signed-for'. He sent an email stating he would try to get to the Post Office to sign for it but works during the week.

He did what he was supposed to do but still wants to keep the $100 profit. I bargained and said I would split the difference but he said $349 was ALL he could offer returned.

bob

cncfan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Houston
    I would let everyone know the name of the ffl no matter if only a home business. Seems to me he would have no problem doing same to someone else that gets anything faulty from him.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    You could try telling him you will report this and get him banned from gunbroker. Might or might not scare him.

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    All kinds of fucked up in that story. That FFL is a POS and if it were me I would be dragging this story and his name ALL OVER every single gun forum and social medai outlet I could.

Start with RIPOFF REPORT:

http://www.ripoffreport.com/

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    That's jacked up. If the retailer doesn't refund you the full price you paid, you should out them. Here, there and everywhere.

Absolutely not the retailers fault. This is CAI fault. They should have returned gun to him.

This is seriously fucked up.

ETA

If I was retailer, I would send money back to CAI and tell them to keep me the hell out of it. Warranty issues are a problem between them and customer.

Last edited:

Rebel

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    Absolutely not the retailers fault. This is CAI fault. They should have returned gun to him.

This is seriously fucked up.

ETA

If I was retailer, I would send money back to CAI and tell them to keep me the hell out of it. Warranty issues are a problem between them and customer.

The FFL is absolutely at fault if they acknowledged receiving money from the importer and informs the customer they will only return a portion of it.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    The FFL is absolutely at fault if they acknowledged receiving money from the importer and informs the customer they will only return a portion of it.

From my reading he is returning all money CAI refunded.

ETA

the retailer paid $349 and that was the amount refunded. The $349 was all they would send me.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    He should have refunded the full amount or refused to refund. He got a profit for nothing. He is a shit bag.

I understand that point hence why in my eta he should send money back to CAI and let them work it out with customer.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Why are you guys so mad at retailer who did nothing wrong instead of CAI who ripped him off? Even if retailer takes loss on gun and refunds sale price, OP is still out money. The ONLY person who should take a loss on this is CAI. Everyone else should be made whole.

The idea of CAI destroying gun, refunding money to FFL is so fucking retarded I do not know what to say. They are the villains here.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It's extremely poor customer service on the retailer's end. I've never understood why the firearms business seems to work differently than other industries... I've had to eat the cost on returned equipment before. Sure the manufacturer or distributor will give you a refund on something defective, but you're still out the time and money spent on delivering that product to the customer. It's one of the risks you take reselling stuff. It's always better in the long run to make the customer whole.

That's not to understate CAI's stupidity in this... I would be very wary of buying things from them.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    It's extremely poor customer service on the retailer's end. I've never understood why the firearms business seems to work differently than other industries... I've had to eat the cost on returned equipment before. Sure the manufacturer or distributor will give you a refund on something defective, but you're still out the time and money spent on delivering that product to the customer. It's one of the risks you take reselling stuff. It's always better in the long run to make the customer whole.

That's not to understate CAI's stupidity in this... I would be very wary of buying things from them.

I understand that. I am FFL, I tell all customers if you have issue, bring it to me first. Some do, some don't.

Months after selling, I was talking to guy whining about waiting for AAC to re-baffle his Element which had a bore strike. I was why didn't you bring it to me? I would have swapped baffles and end cap on the spot, and dealt with AAC on my own. He just shrugged his shoulders. Some folks you cannot help.

In this case though, It was OP decision to send it back to CAI, instead of retailer. Keeping retailer out of loop prevents him from being bad guy IMO.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    FFLs are strict on returns because of the liabilities as a big reason. They aren't different from other industries. Cars being the next one similar. You try buying a car and the returning it to dealership and see if they take the hit or not, good luck. You think the dealership is taking the hit on a recall? Heck no, it's the MANUFACTURER. Another reason it's different is because of the rules, regulations, legal woes, etc. Someone buys an iPod and tries to return it, the retailer doesn't have to worry about the iPod being a weapon in a crime and the ATF pounding their door down. That's just one example. Other retailers have set different expectations, which larger ones can sustain (like Walmart, Costco, etc.), smaller ones can't. Even then, what major retailer offers returns on guns? Also, profit margin on guns is very small. You're lucky if you get 15 to 20% on a good buy. Customer service is top priority in my book, as long as it's in reason. MotorCar Man's situation is a terrible one that he shouldn't have to experience, but the retailer is not at fault and shouldn't be blamed. Now, do I think he should have offered a little more than what he paid for it in return, possibly, but I'm not in his shoes. Is the FFL's time not worth anything? He has to take the time to run his business and why should he be the one to take a hit for someone else's mistakes. I don't understand why people treat business owners, especially small business owners, like they're all shady, money hungry trolls.

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    FFLs are strict on returns because of the liabilities as a big reason. They aren't different from other industries. Cars being the next one similar. You try buying a car and the returning it to dealership and see if they take the hit or not, good luck. You think the dealership is taking the hit on a recall? Heck no, it's the MANUFACTURER. Another reason it's different is because of the rules, regulations, legal woes, etc.
    Interesting parallel you bring up. Guns and cars are two items where it is made very difficult by law for consumers to purchase direct from the manufacturer. Of course there are very few FFLs that actually support their regulation, but the dealership associations actively lobby against consumers.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Interesting parallel you bring up. Guns and cars are two items where it is made very difficult by law for consumers to purchase direct from the manufacturer. Of course there are very few FFLs that actually support their regulation, but the dealership associations actively lobby against consumers.
    Agreed the law gets in the way, as usual.
    Why can't the FFL just order another gun from CIA via FFL special price for $350 and then send you that gun.
    I don't think another exists.

Top Bottom