• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jjminch

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 1, 2014
    Morning,
    Bought some property out in Austin for my homestead. I’ve been warned by all the neighboring ranchers of the poisonous snakes in the brush, and I have three young ones.

Looking to have a .410 revolver for carry. Originally posted about a .38 which is why some replies are refencing that.
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Mow your grass and carry a long stick.
    Learn how to identify venomous snakes from non venomous and teach your kids to just leave them all alone.

If you are close enough with snake shot in a .38 ( or any other pistol ) to kill the snake, you are close enough to get bit in the hand holding the gun.

If you absolutely need a gun for snakes, get a snake charmer .410

Edited non pertinent paragraph after realizing this is in the classifieds

Last edited:

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Walking along a bayou stepped on a Cotton mouth. It wiggled one way and I jumped straight up while yelling. The snake missed me, I drew my trusty .357 revolver and fired all 6 rounds into the dirt near the snake, I missed every shot. Snake went off into the water, quietly laughing at me. I went off to buy a shotgun.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I bought an LCR .38 special for the same reason. Like the gun. But it is so light that the recoil causes snake shot capsules to migrate after first shot and lock the gun up. Suggestion if you buy just for snakes get a heavy Taurus or some other cheap but not light .38.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    flamethrower.jpg

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I'd look at getting a 410 shotgun, or even possibly one of the revolvers in 410.

As @Hoji mentioned, learn your snakes. Identify them and leave them alone if they are not a direct threat. Even venomous snakes if given a choice, and means will go their own way if possible.

He did mention mowing grass! But you said underbrush, so that's a little different. Shorter the grass is, much easier to see the snakes before they can become a problem.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    My friend has a large ranch close to Fort Stockton. He bought two judges then got rid of them when his 1911 using rat shot patterned much better. Leave most snakes alone and they will leave you alone.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    You stepped into a snake pit with some of the responses. Snake shot in most pistols is pretty lame. You pretty much have to hold the pistol to the snake's head. The Taurus Judge series lets you use a .410 shotgun shell, so that's a big improvement, but keep in mind that those pistols are heavy. If you're going to buy a revolver, don't waste your money on junk. You will regret it. I've known too many guys that bought a cheap pistol, then couldn't get anything on a trade or sale when they decided they needed something better.

As for "good" snakes vs. "bad" snakes, any snake occupying the same area as me needs to die. Quickly. Same with spiders and most varmints. "Oh, skunks won't bother you if you don't bother them!" If we're in the same place, I'm bothered and one of us needs to go. When I'm out on my 4 wheeler, I keep a machete within easy grasp on the front. They do a great job of taking out low hanging limbs, snakes, and many other pesky problems.

buckshot4900

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 16, 2021
    Emory
    TxStetson was telling me that you can pop that blue plastic off the snake shot and replace with #6 shot and have a more lethal round .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jjminch

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 1, 2014
    I've decided to look for a judge instead of a .38/.357. I'll keep a full size .410 handy as a truck gun if needed.

I'll see if I can update the original post to say judge.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    You better be wearing hearing protection if you ever plan on shooting a Judge or Governor with .410. Ask me how I know.

Top Bottom