• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Well ... fatness leads to type 2 diabetes ... whereas your skinny friend probably has type 1 diabetes. One is hereditary due to a pancreatic deficiency, and the other is late adult onset as a result of a high insulin tolerance.

No, Texas1911, you are wrong. Type 1 is an autoimmune disease in which the cells in your pancreas that make insulin are attacked and destroyed. Type 2 is genetic. People with Type 2 (like me) are often overweight because they pack on pounds easily. (When you have excess blood sugar, your body turns it into fat to store it up.) Type 2 has persisted through the ages because people with it were more easily able to withstand periods of famine, which used to be fairly common. Type 2 is not new; it was described by the Romans. You don't "get" Type 2 from eating one too many doughnuts. You can manage your blood sugar - and thus put off the effects of Type 2 - though weight control, low-carb diet, and exercise - but you can't change your DNA. There are indeed 300 lb and 400 lb people who are not diabetic and skinny folks who are.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    wat? Where did BMI come from?

3 minutes in. BMI's are "drifting to the right".

I'm sorry, but the second someone include BMIs, flat earth, creationism, global climate warming change or any other faux or junk science in their argument, I can't take that argument seriously.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Sugar... ah honey honey

Sorry to jack thread. I'm still trying to digest all the info here at TGT w/o repeating (yes I do searches so as not to bother long timers). Didn't see this post 'til a couple of days ago and didn't want to bump thread for this.

Love me some Archies !!!
    Gotta say post CRACKS me up, but song makes me wanna puke!
    Luv ur humor RR !!!

I return you to BMI debate.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    3 minutes in. BMI's are "drifting to the right".

I'm sorry, but the second someone include BMIs, flat earth, creationism, global climate warming change or any other faux or junk science in their argument, I can't take that argument seriously.

I see where your comming from.

BMI's are simple to obtain, and they work for a large % of the populations. It isn't perfect, but it is true that people are heavier, eating more, and working less. There is no easy, simple solution. HgbA1c is a great way to screen for diabetes (dispite what most major recommendations are), but it is too expensive to use as a screen. Blood sugars vary when you take them, and people are unreliable as it is to get a fasting. Body fat is difficult to accurately and precisely calculate. People carry their weight differently.

And most professional football players are very overweight.

Type II diabetes is defined as insulin resistance combined with pancreatic failure (the cells that make insulin). It is due to a combination of genetics and diet/exercise. Most people could control their blood sugars by loosing weight, but everyone's body is different and loosing weight is hard.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I disagree that BMIs work for a large % of the population. They only work for a couple of body types. If a person is 5'10" and weighs 175 lbs, they're overweight according to BMI.

Bullshit. Not everybody is built that way.

BMI is a round hole, and assumes that everybody is a round peg. Some of us are square. I'll admit that I've got a few extra pounds, but I doubt I'd be truly healthy at 170.

EODbusch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Central Texas
    I disagree that BMIs work for a large % of the population. They only work for a couple of body types. If a person is 5'10" and weighs 175 lbs, they're overweight according to BMI.

BMI is a round hole, and assumes that everybody is a round peg. Some of us are square. I'll admit that I've got a few extra pounds, but I doubt I'd be truly healthy at 170.

Exactly, someone was bored one day and decided to come up with this stupid system.

The point is, as a few have mentioned, is moderation and it really does come down to what you eat and the quantity.

I didn't watch the first video, but I did watch the second. Very informative if you can grasp what he's saying.

ArielT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2011
    Austin, TX

I agree that BMI is problematic for specific groups or individuals. Particularly athletes and blacks and for pretty much the same reason: They tend to have more lean mass. Though, most of the researchers conclude that BMI isn't necessarily flawed as a measuring device, more that we need to change the target numbers to measure different populations. Doctors using BMI as a diagnostic tool are doing it wrong.

However, the modern use of BMI in statistics about the population at large is not "junk science", at least any more so than any statistics. Back in the 1970s they found that BMI correlated pretty strongly to the body fat % on a person. They used high level statistics to determine more high level statistics and have since applied them to the population at large for these reasons. Unless the make up of the population at large has shifted dramatically in the last 40 years, BMIs should still hold as a measure of the overall BF% of our country at large.

Glitter and Guns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    DFW
    I agree that we have to cut out some of the processed foods including HFCS. BUT the whole BMI thing makes me crazy - especially the way that it is applied to kids. Last year when my daughter was in 5th grade they had a school BMI/health & fitness thing (I think it is a State of Texas thing). They did a bunch of fitness tests. My daughter was the girl w the most points out of the whole school. She beat all of the girls and most of the boys in sprint running, distance running, vertical jump, some version of the legs 6 inches off the floor drill, and sit ups. Obviously she is a strong healthy athletic kid. She was also about 5'5 at the time and very muscular lower body, feminine (but muscular) behind and an overall very curvy figure. And she came in with a too high BMI. And the morons at the school told her that she needed to watch her diet and work out more as her BMI was too high. Most of her weight is muscle but some weight was due to the fact that she already had an adult figure. I was REQUIRED to meet with DD and the school nurse about her "weight issues". Trust me, that kid had no weight issues. I can't find britches skinny enough to fit her waist. The school nurse was actually good enough to apologize to my daughter and my daughter was able to laugh it off.

They are about to do the same exact project at her school again, and I know that she will again be told that she is too fat. I am so lucky that she is not a girl that leans towards an eating disorder and feels good about her body because I can see this being a recipe for all kinds of disaster for young ladies.

And this is also the age when a lot of boys are packing on weight getting ready for those giant growth spurts. I am sure that there were boys that were over the BMI limit that day, but in a couple of months would have been considered underweight for their height.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If I weighed what BMI says I should, I'd look like a skinny wimp. Admittedly I probably do have 30lbs of excess fat, but the rest of that is muscle, son!

JaketheBake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Sugar Land, TX
    How does the Corn Refiners Association get away with those commercials that say all sugar is the same? It's a blatant fallacy. Some sugars absolutely spike your insulin through the roof while others don't. Insulin has all kinds of effects on the body beyond just controlling blood sugar too.

Top Bottom