• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Profanity filter is turned off. Did a test earlier today in response to this thread that was not posted, test only, that showed only partial blockage of colorful commentary.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    It isn't the profanity filter that is the problem. It is your lack of vocabulary.
    Of the problems I perhaps have, the depth of my vocabulary is definitely not one.

Opinions will differ, but I see profanity as a mere extension of the language. Some would question "what's the use of profanity" when one can choose any number of synonyms. There's also much debate and opinion on what makes any certain word vulgar or profane in the first place. To wit, the art of language is in conveying more than simple words by their dictionary definitions.

On the desktop, I click my avatar in the upper right to get a drop-down. On the drop-down, I click Personal Details.

(I think it finds my personal home page based on who's signed in for the current session, so this link might take you to your Personal Details page, assuming you're looking at the full web interface. Somebody please let me know if that works for them, OK?)

On the Personal Details page, there's a radio button allowing me to select On, Off, or No Selection for the profanity filter.

Please be aware that some people actually type in asterisks and it may look like your profanity filter is turned on when it really isn't.
    I have the profanity switch turned off, but I see asterisks where they would seem out of context.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I have the profanity switch turned off, but I see asterisks where they would seem out of context.
    If the author confirms they typed in a swear word, then let me know. Your description could either be the profanity filter or it could be the author actually typing in asterisks.

Frankly, in most of the cases I've seen where the asterisks "seem out of context" due to the number of them not corresponding to a useful swear word, the reason has been that the author actually typed them and didn't insert the right number of them.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I am confirming it.

I have typed my own in.
    Out of 3 different words, 2 were as typed, the 3rd was all asterisks.
    I hit post, then edited my post to delete everything.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    F9051995-3809-4AD4-87BA-EA0F52C42264.jpeg

Attachments

• F9051995-3809-4AD4-87BA-EA0F52C42264.jpeg
      F9051995-3809-4AD4-87BA-EA0F52C42264.jpeg
      40 KB · Views: 326

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    Funny, my f-word went through. Azzhole, spelled correctly, and sheeit, spelled correctly, did not

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Got some feedback from the higher-level admins. There are a few words (7, if I count correctly) and some spelling variations thereof that will be replaced no matter what anyone sets for their profanity filter.

We're discussing it and we'll reach a consensus but, frankly, I think the board functions just fine without a very few words that are guaranteed to either trigger someone on here or get indexed by Google making us look like racist, misogynistic cretins.

That's just my opinion, of course. Other staff may decide I'm just being a ****, call me a pussy and tell me to **** off. For now, though, I think most folks should expect the profanity filter to be just one part of the way decorum is maintained and don't expect it to control everything consistently. There are other parts of the board software that override it.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Thanks, Ben. I can likely guess the set of words that are perma-filtered, and while the purist me thinks they "shouldn't" be banned, the realistic me knows there's far too many people who would genuinely form negative opinions based on them.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Got some feedback from the higher-level admins. There are a few words (7, if I count correctly) and some spelling variations thereof that will be replaced no matter what anyone sets for their profanity filter.

We're discussing it and we'll reach a consensus but, frankly, I think the board functions just fine without a very few words that are guaranteed to either trigger someone on here or get indexed by Google making us look like racist, misogynistic cretins.

That's just my opinion, of course. Other staff may decide I'm just being a ****, call me a ***** and tell me to **** off. For now, though, I think most folks should expect the profanity filter to be just one part of the way decorum is maintained and don't expect it to control everything consistently. There are other parts of the board software that override it.

The George’s meet? Orwell and Carlin.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    **** **** ****** ** ***** *** ********!

Another board I'm on has the same (possibly more strict) but when you quote you can see what the other guy posted. I tried to see what Moonpie wrote, but it's starred out.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Another board I'm on has the same (possibly more strict) but when you quote you can see what the other guy posted. I tried to see what Moonpie wrote, but it's starred out.
    Based on the length of some of the asterisk strings in Moonpie's post, I believe he just typed in asterisks. There are no two-letter words banned by the forum software, for example.

Top Bottom