Hurley's Gold

CLOSED STRYKER SR497 - HPC 10 METER RADIO - 100 watts - NEW IN BOX - West Fort Worth

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Please reply by conversation.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Per the rules for classified ads, a physical location must be in the title. Please edit your title to show a location.

And good luck with the sale. I'm not sure too many folks on here have the required license to operate it but good luck, anyway.

m5215

Pistoleer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2018
    McKinney, TX
    Asking a for real question & not being a smart-ass...

Would there be a benefit in doing this over simply purchasing a CB radio?

A normal CB radio transmits no more than 4 watts.

This radio transmits at about 100 watts.

Reminds me of when I was "adjusting" old GMRS/FRS FM radios to transmit a bit higher than normal. :green:

Do I get a Krusty Burger if I buy it?

800px-Krusty_Burger.jpg

Last edited:

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    4 watts AM and 12 watts PEP on SSB for CB type acceptance.
    Anything beyond that power wise is illegal and has been for decades. If it were a true 10 meter rig it would have a different type acceptance and requires a license to operate.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Generally, discussion is not allowed in Classified threads. However, the rules on Illegality are even more important.

Those of you with more experience than me should hash this out. If the sale of this hardware is illegal, I will delete this thread. If the sale is legal (even if it's just to someone with a license, the confirmation of which is beyond the responsibility of Texas Gun Talk), then the thread should remain and Krusty should be allowed to do his business with any willing buyer without unnecessary commentary from the peanut gallery.

So, is anybody alleging that the sale of this product, as is, as pictured, is illegal?

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    Stryker markets it as a 10 meter amateur radio that requires an amateur radio operators license. Research shows a simple jumper mod to move it to 11 meters for use on the CB bands…albeit at a higher than legal power. Note the echo and roger beep functions. Not legal on amateur radio bands but popular on the CB band. It is marketed at the trucker and CB crowd. One won’t find it sold at ham radio stores or websites…only CB shops and such. Thus even as an amateur radio transceiver it has features that are not used and frequency control is not as easy to dial in through the use of bands and channels. The only amateur radio band that uses channels is 60 meters and there are only 5 or 6 channels.

The easy modification and being sold in CB shops tells me it is sold to be modded for use on 11 meters (CB band) and thus violating FCC type regulation and laws.

I currently hold an extra class amateur radio operators license and a GROL (General RadioTelephone Operators License) with the radar endorsement.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    The radio is legal as is. Converting it to 11 meters (CB band) is not.
    It's legal for anyone to own and listen in with, however, it is not legal to transmit with it unless you have a Amateur Radio license.
    I have a FCC General class license.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I trust both no2gates and lonestardiver and will accept their analysis as correct.

By the way it's marketed, the product is probably going to be bought by people who want to do something bad with it. That, however, is none of our business.

The product is legal to buy, sell, and possess so the thread remains.

If anyone wants to start a discussion about the use of the device, start it elsewhere. In this thread, now that the Illegality rule is satisfied, the basic rule about no discussions in the Classifieds is the controlling rule,

Thanks to everyone for your help and patience.

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    Top Bottom