• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gringogigante

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Richardson
    I'd like to find a brick and mortar store I can go into to find components. I went to Cabela's last night. They had a lot of hardware (presses, scaled, etc) but had no bags of different shot sizes, primers, shotshells, etc.

Where do y'all go to get yours?
    Gun Zone Deals

hullhullhull

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2022
    El Paso
    I treat brick and mortar stores like adventure shops. You have no idea what you are gonna find and maybe they will have something useful. The best reloading shops I’ve been in are Bruno’s in Phoenix and Gunnies in Orem.

When I need to buy reloading equipment or supplies in quantity I buy online, but I still give Bruno’s and Gunnies a first look to see if their prices are competitive. You can shop online and still support local businesses.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Closest to you is Southwest Ammo in Mesquite. Rays in Dallas, and one still open in in Euless, 1200 Euless Blvd, but that's a haul. The good old days of reloading supply stores is mostly gone. Pre-covid there was 3 gun stores in Graham and one just outside of Jacksboro. Between the 4 of them they had every powder, shot, bullet, wads, hull, case and primers known. Not any more.

Here4TheChix

All the things...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2022
    Smith County
    I don't reload shotshells yet, but I noticed Amazon sells shot, and wads, as shotguns are less scary...?

Biden says so, however I am not sure if this is a good price:
    Shot:
    Amazon product ASIN B001QV1A0Q
    Assuming, with AA hulls @ 1-1/8 oz #8 shot per shell=711(.1111) reloads?
    211.62 (40lbs of #8 lead shot, taxed and shipped) /711 = $0.297591 for just the shot,
    Then you have to tack-on 209 primers, wads, and powder, assuming you already have a press.
    I can't find lead shot on Cabella's site.

Via Cabella's web site:
    250) Factory Winchester AA 1-1/8oz Target shells for ~$141.27 after tax ( $0.565065/ea ), for pickup.

Vs
    100) 209 primers ~$18.47 after tax ( $0.184766/ea ).
    500) AA(?) wads ~$16.30 after tax ( $0.163016/ea ).
    50LBS) #8 shot ~$211.62 after shipping and tax/711.111 shells ($0.297591/ea )
    =$0.64/ea, without powder, or the press calc'd in...

So I assume you can reload it for cheaper, but not by a whole lot each right now,
    however if you shoot a LOT of 12-gauge, I assume it'd be worth it, and you'd have the ammo.

I had to do the current-math, as I had no clue for 12-gauge shotshell reloading costs.

EDIT: Basspro has 25# bags of #8 graphite-lubed lead shot @ ~$65.24/bag w/tax ( ~$0.18/ea) bringing it down quite a bit over Amazon's Lead Shot. So assuming powder owned prepanic, and all current prices for reloading say 12-gauge:
    $0.5384/ea isn't much savings compared to retail $0.565065/ea.

Last edited:

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I have found almost zero shotshell components locally.
    I’ve had to buy on line for at least 2 years. I buy Cheddite primers from Ballistic Products 5,000 at a time to help save a little on Hazmat. I also buy shot from them 2 bags at a time using their promo code for $19 shipping. I get my wads from MidwayUSA when they have free shipping. For powder, I use ammoseek to shop for availability and price. Again, I’ll buy 2 eight pounders to ease the pain of the hazmat fee.
    Buying in quantity helps keep the prices down. I can reload a box of .410’s for under $7 and a box of 12 gauge at around $7.50. A local range has reclaimed shot this spring and is selling it for $30 a bag. It’s okay for 12 gauge trap. I bought 3.
    Good luck.

Here4TheChix

All the things...
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2022
    Smith County
    I have found almost zero shotshell components locally.
    I’ve had to buy on line for at least 2 years. I buy Cheddite primers from Ballistic Products 5,000 at a time to help save a little on Hazmat. I also buy shot from them 2 bags at a time using their promo code for $19 shipping. I get my wads from MidwayUSA when they have free shipping. For powder, I use ammoseek to shop for availability and price. Again, I’ll buy 2 eight pounders to ease the pain of the hazmat fee.
    Buying in quantity helps keep the prices down. I can reload a box of .410’s for under $7 and a box of 12 gauge at around $7.50. A local range has reclaimed shot this spring and is selling it for $30 a bag. It’s okay for 12 gauge trap. I bought 3.
    Good luck.
    I usually only buy 8-ponders of powder myself, too.
    I have been seeing primers pop up a bit on ammoseek, 209's were never a thing I was looking for, however,
    Small and Large primers of foreign manufacture like Murom, "Servicios Aventuras", and Ginex are available, at least there are some options on the market, even if still overpriced.

When prices calm down a bit more, I think I will probably get a 5k case of 209's, along with small and large SPPs and SRPs for stock.
    My small pistol and rifle primers are finally starting to get low. :( At least some lesser-priced options are out there for purchase now, even if we will overpay a bit, but at least they aren't full-blown end of 2020 COVID prices...
    I'll probably grab a Lee Load all 2 at that time, due to the info you provided, as I HATE being low on target 12-gauge ammo for range time.

I am sure the mail-person hates me too, as my last order was a few thousand 124gr 9mm and a few thou. 158gr .38/.357. :D

Last edited:

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Gunmasters in Plano carries Dillon.
    Gunmasters still has some components, a couple of bags of used brass, a few bullets, and a little powder. But very little. McC[elland Gun Shop in far south Garland on Centerville had bags of shot, powder, and a great bullet selection several years ago. But like all the other metroplex gun stores, it is mostly empty shelf space at this time.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I was in the local Cabela’s lately and they were full of reloading equipment. From dies, powder, brass, accessories etc.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    The Kerrville Gibsons was great. I went there often when my Dad lived there.
    When I lived in SA, Trainer Hale is where everyone bought components. Are Vern and Mary still there?

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I think the only shotshell reloading that pays is .410 as these are close to unobtainium on the market. Maybe 16 g or 10 g might pay. The problem with shotshells is that you really need to follow the loading book and if it says Winchester 209 don't substitute CCI. If it says Federal Hull don't sub Remington hulls. I an too much of a coward to experiment with designing my own loads.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I think the only shotshell reloading that pays is .410 as these are close to unobtainium on the market. Maybe 16 g or 10 g might pay. The problem with shotshells is that you really need to follow the loading book and if it says Winchester 209 don't substitute CCI. If it says Federal Hull don't sub Remington hulls. I an too much of a coward to experiment with designing my own loads.
    I must disagree with too much of a coward. I would substitute "I cherish life", or "I respect manufactures expertise over alchemy."

S13

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2022
    Edmond, Oklahoma
    Scheels in The Colony has a great reloading section. More expensive than online however.

Certain components are still hit and miss though.

Eastexasrick

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Today. SIL just dropped in on Gun Master in Plano. They have Varget, $49 a pound. Lots of shot at $69 per 25Lbs.
    209 primers,he forgot $

Cabela's in Allen has #8 shot $59 for 25Lbs, " a shit pot" of powder between $39 and $49, lots of 12ga wads.

Txmark

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Mustang Ridge
    There’s a Gibsons in Weatherford that has a pretty extensive shooting section. Also the Walmart in Graham carries RCBS supplies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom