• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    If it can be seen by an officer, it is not concealed.

Some holsters under some steering columns will be visible to anyone looking in.....

Unfortunately, it will probably be at an officer's discretion if "he or she" considers it concealed................or not....

jmho...
    Venture Surplus ad

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    no one is going to see it as you drive
    if you get pulled over stuff it under the seat before anyone peeks in

of course this is not legal advice, since that is certainly another of the many illegal things you do or think every day

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    yes, I agree, it is all about the mindset of the driver with the CHL.

If the gun in inyour console, under your seat or in your glove box, then you were concealing it on or about your person.

If the gun is on a hip or shoulder hoster than you are OC'ing.

you are covered here by just about any means to carry in your vehicle I could imagine but a steering column holster would have to be concealed and I'm not sure how some vehicles are layed out if that is possible

Just tuck a rag around it, no longer visible.....

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The OC law clearly states the weapon has to be in a belt or shoulder holster, therefore anywhere else is technically not legal.

However, how that is enforced in a vehicle is anyone's guess. Just because it may not meet the letter of the law doesn't mean it will warrant a citation. Just understand that since the driver is not complying with how the new law is written, there is a chance and that is not worth the risk in my book.

I guess this means vests with holsters on them won't meet the letter of the new OC law either...

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Drape a shoulder holster over your steering column. Zip tie in place... Problem solved ;)

I would rather just have a shoulder holster that I wear only in the car. I've never quite got the appeal of the steering column holsters.

McClintock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2015
    I read a faq where it is claimed that after 1/1/16 when the law goes into effect, if you have a CHL (or whatever it will be called then), the gun CAN be visible inside the vehicle. If you do not have a "handgun licence" then the same old rule applies, you may have it in your vehicle but it must not be visible.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    To get straight to the point, EVERY commercial steering column mounted holster option I've seen has been absolute crap, and has largely utilized horrible one-size-fits-all canvas holsters. I think the better question to be asking is, why carry with a crap holster in a crap position that poses several performance and safety issues?

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    if you get pulled over stuff it under the seat before anyone peeks in

BAD idea and BAD advice. Officers are specifically trained to look for this behavior and it's called a 'furtive movement.' It's definitely going to ratchet up the intensity level of the stop and is much more likely to produce a worse outcome.

I read a faq where it is claimed that after 1/1/16 when the law goes into effect, if you have a CHL (or whatever it will be called then), the gun CAN be visible inside the vehicle. If you do not have a "handgun licence" then the same old rule applies, you may have it in your vehicle but it must not be visible.

OC requires the weapon be in a belt or shoulder holster, period. End of story.

Vehicle carry without a CHL requires the weapon be concealed, period. End of story.

If you have a CHL, you can carry concealed on or about your person any way you like or carry open on your person in a belt or shoulder holster.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    The one I was looking at I have to find the link was just a belt that hooked on the column and you had to provide the holster that fits your gun.

This is not the one I was looking at but is the same type
    http://www.amazon.com/Gum-Creek-GCC...58&sr=8-1&keywords=steering+wheel+gun+holster

To get straight to the point, EVERY commercial steering column mounted holster option I've seen has been absolute crap, and has largely utilized horrible one-size-fits-all canvas holsters. I think the better question to be asking is, why carry with a crap holster in a crap position that poses several performance and safety issues?

Last edited:

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Well, if the bill is signed and after Jan 1, 2016, a person with a license can OC in his car, yo.

Thats what I was thinking. So essentially if you have your CHL on Jan 1, 2016, you can not be charged with a felony offense of failure to conceal in your vehicle if your handgun is visible. I am already looking at quick access holster mounts.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Thats what I was thinking. So essentially if you have your CHL on Jan 1, 2016, you can not be charged with a felony offense of failure to conceal in your vehicle if your handgun is visible. I am already looking at quick access holster mounts.

OC requires a belt or shoulder holster per the language of the law just passed.

Big Dipper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    ATX & FC, WI
    But doesn't state said holster must be worn

But, I think you will have a hard time arguing that the phrase "carried in a shoulder or belt holster" (used many times in the act) includes sitting on the seat next to you or hanging from the steering column. Even if it is contained in a belt or shoulder holster.

Last edited:

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    But, I think you will have a hard time arguing that the phrase "carried in a shoulder or belt holster" (used many times in the act) includes sitting on the seat next to you or hanging from the steering column. Even if it is contained in a belt or shoulder holster.
    Not if I carried it to the car in a holster. Lol

J. Fred

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2011
    Devil's Backbone,RR32

https://www.grassburr.com/catalog/mountable-holsters

I have been using this set up with the concealment cover for about a year now. Very securely mounted in my F150 on the side of the console.

Got pulled over by DPS about a month ago. Zipped it shut as I pulled over. He asked where my gun was after asking if I had one. Looked at my setup and just said to leave the gun there.

My son saw his stuff at a big San Antonio gun show. Got one of his cards. Turned out his home & business is 1.5 miles down the road from my ranch. Drove over to met him and see his operation. Bought my set up on the spot. Good guy and products.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    https://www.grassburr.com/catalog/mountable-holsters

I have been using this set up with the concealment cover for about a year now. Very securely mounted in my F150 on the side of the console.

Got pulled over by DPS about a month ago. Zipped it shut as I pulled over. He asked where my gun was after asking if I had one. Looked at my setup and just said to leave the gun there.

My son saw his stuff at a big San Antonio gun show. Got one of his cards. Turned out his home & business is 1.5 miles down the road from my ranch. Drove over to met him and see his operation. Bought my set up on the spot. Good guy and products.

I too have seen him at a SA gun show and if it's the same products I saw, I quickly realized he was marketing these without informing potential buyers that they are illegal as they don't conceal the handgun.

There's been at least one instance that I know of where someone with this type of set-up was arrested for failing to conceal. Putting customers in a potentially illegal situation is a mark of a vendor I don't want to do business with, such as the same clown who is selling the adapters to put oil filters on the end of a barrel to "trap cleaning solvents."

Sorry, while I believe in caveat emptor; I also believe an honorable vendor would insure that buyers understand the potential legal issues from using their products!

Top Bottom