• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    We have enough laws. I would love to see this "restriction" removed from our laws.
    Texas SOT

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    It would be nice to take your deer down without the other guys on your lease having to hear your rifles noise (the deer also hear it...so you are messing with everyones hunt).
    They'll still hear it. A suppressor on a rifle takes a deafening boom and reduces it to a loud noise. Still, its better than nothing.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Well folks good news. Talking to TXPWD I found out that they are already discussing allowing suppressors by next September for game animals.. This has been a topic of discussion at the Parks and Wildlife meetings the past couple months. There will be a meeting for public input in January. I will keep everyone posted. They got my e-mail address and will be giving me updates So far everything is positive at the discussions.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Some good points. Legislative action is not required to change the ban on suppressed hunting of game animals in Texas, just action of the PW commission.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Thats what PW told me also. He said just sit back and wait a couple months while they hash this thing out.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Update: Public hearing in January. I will post the date when I get it. Another meeting end of March or first of April where it might be voted on and pass. Deer hunting with suppressors was actually brought up for discussion by a member of the PW commission. So far very positive discussions.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Sounds great. I guess the anti side will argue legalizing suppressed hunting would cause an increase in poaching, but we can remind them that suppressors are a felony to possess in Texas unless you jump through all the hoops, and criminals are not likely to jump through those hoops.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Sounds great. I guess the anti side will argue legalizing suppressed hunting would cause an increase in poaching, but we can remind them that suppressors are a felony to possess in Texas unless you jump through all the hoops, and criminals are not likely to jump through those hoops.

The process to legally own a suppressor is a very very simple process. Your time takes about 15 minutes. The hard part is waiting for the ATF to approve it. Been waiting 5 months for a .22 cal can. My .30 and .223 cans only took 3 months earlier this year. I did my trust with Sean Cody over the phone. He is very efficient and has the whole process streamed lined.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    The process to legally own a suppressor is a very very simple process. Your time takes about 15 minutes. The hard part is waiting for the ATF to approve it. Been waiting 5 months for a .22 cal can. My .30 and .223 cans only took 3 months earlier this year. I did my trust with Sean Cody over the phone. He is very efficient and has the whole process streamed lined.

I agree it is a simple process, but it is not something criminals are going to do.

AusTex

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Not sure if it was covered but I had a group of pigs come in.. and just destroy my feeder twice last weekend.. Running off two nice 8's.. The didn't stop till they got every bit of corn in the county... I would have loved to have a sub on me with the can.. Pop one in the head quietly.. but still enough noise to hopefully run them all off.. then continue my hunt. Great idea.. I say go for it.. I know about 20 others that will sign a petition.

Driller

Life Member
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    Conroe,TX
    Not sure if it was covered but I had a group of pigs come in.. and just destroy my feeder twice last weekend.. Running off two nice 8's.. The didn't stop till they got every bit of corn in the county... I would have loved to have a sub on me with the can.. Pop one in the head quietly.. but still enough noise to hopefully run them all off.. then continue my hunt. Great idea.. I say go for it.. I know about 20 others that will sign a petition.

You can legally shoot those pigs with a suppressor while deer hunting. Most have quick connects. remember to take it off when you shoot at the deer. The cool part is we want to be able to leave it on when the deer come. The game wardens around here are cool with this. Some use their own suppressors for hog suppression in developed areas. Yes they get to kill hogs in The Woodlands,TX and no one has any idea they are doing this for them. One game warden has a Rock River AR-15 suppressed and is having fun doing his job.

Top Bottom