• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    i have a SA xd sub in .40sw. i shoot alot of cast bullets and now matter how much lube i put on it, or how low the velocity, i always get leading. i would like to get a different barrel that wont lead but finding there isnt a company that makes a barrel for the xd cub. is it possible to get the barrel for the full size 4" and then cut it down to a 3"?

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    I don't think replacement barrels for the 3" are really that expensive are they? I am sure you could have a smith cut down a barrel for you, not sure it would save you any money though..

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    well there is only one maker of a 3" for the sub, and is 200.00+ but there are a few makers that make them in the 4" for only a 100.00. so its twice as expensive to go with the 3 incher. i cant imagine that there is any difference between the sub and the full in terms of being able to drop in a new barrels.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    EFK Fire Dragon has a barrel for $160 if that helps.

I have shot lots of cast in various XD's (including XD9sc) with little or no leading. Hardness of the cast bullet and type of powder can affect the amount of leading. Might go to CastBoolits and nose around for some info on leading in XD's.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    ive shot the same load out of my smith and wesson and had no leadding issues in that pistol. but then i got the springfield, and the leading is termendous. im using 4 grains of titegroup for a 175 cast bullet out of WW then coated with a heavy dose of lee liquid alox. i just purchased some unique so well see how that goes. im thinking of trying the rooster jacket bullet lube for the next batch of bullets i make to see it that helps. ive read alot of people say that they dont have a problem with leading in their xd's and some say they do. so im just at a cross. i guess the way to look at it is, for 3.00 a box i shouldnt complain when i have to scrub a barrel a little longer than i want to.

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    Its my undestanding that leading is usually related to gas slipping past the bullet as it goes down the barrel. The lower your powder load, the softer the lead you want to run. You want the bullet to "bump up" slightly and make a good seal. Too hard for your charge and it doesnt bump up causing it not to seal well. Too soft and it deforms too much allowing gas to get by. If WW = wheel weight, that is really soft. Skimming quickly I didn't find much for a 175 cast w/ tite group to get an idea if 4 gr is light or hot for a 175 cast. In any case, I dont think more/different lube will make much of a difference. I am also skeptical that swapping barrels would change much either. Do you cast your own bullets? Maybe try adding some linotype/antimony to bring the hardness up a bit? Edit: If you are casting them, you could try quenching them too to bring the hardness up.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    yes WW= wheel weights. as for load data for cast bullets for a 175g bullets is few and far. i use most my load data from handloads.com. im just stumped that the same loads in one gun works great, and fails in the other. according to this site :Cast bullet reference on lead alloy's, min / max pressure, lube, shrinkage, the hardness for clip on wheel weights (which i use) has a BHN of 12. if you quinch them like i do, it brings the hardness up to 18. i dont know man, im just stumped. maybe this new powder that ill be loading with will help.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    Lot of leading is associated with the difference of the bore size and the bullet diameter. Might not be sealing correctly in the barrel as Rum Runner mentioned.

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    so i slugged my barrel last night because i was bord. heres what i found out: inside the grooves its .391, outside of the groves it was .400 and the cast bullet itself is .402. is it worth getting a sizer dye for it? i hope this info makes sence. what advice to you guys offer at this point?

Top Bottom