• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    "There are two kinds of people: those who carry a knife, and those who want to borrow one."IMO, you could say the same about flashlights. Anything else you guys EDC that people borrow pretty regular?

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    Loan out a pocket knife? Are you crazy?
    At work people want to borrow my calculator and pencil sharpener.
    1. There is a calculator on your computer plus a spreadsheet program.
    2. They got stores that sell pencil sharpeners.

klabe81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Humble
    Where I come from it's illegal to carry a knife unless it's properly stowed away and you are clearly going camping or you can show that it's a work tool.
    At one point they made it so you couldn't carry a blade longer than 3 inches and the stabbing rate went down but the slashing rate went up as hood rats and hooligans started to carry box-cutters instead.
    Sadly, knives are the weapon of choice for wayward teenagers on the streets of London and that's completely spoiled it for us responsible adults who often rely on knives to get us out of a jam.

Since I've lived here in TX I've been carrying my trusty blade everywhere I go and it's very liberating to know I have Man's oldest tool at the ready when it's needed.

Lend you MY knife?

I would rather take you to Walmart and buy you one.

klabe81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Humble
    I've had a friend "borrow" a DVD and lend it to his pal who then lent it to his cousin and so on until one day I was round a friend's house looking at his movie collection and he offered to lend me MY OWN DVD that I had been missing for months!!

I guess that's why they call it a CIRCLE OF FRIENDS.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Where I come from it's illegal to carry a knife unless it's properly stowed away and you are clearly going camping or you can show that it's a work tool.
    At one point they made it so you couldn't carry a blade longer than 3 inches and the stabbing rate went down but the slashing rate went up as hood rats and hooligans started to carry box-cutters instead.
    Sadly, knives are the weapon of choice for wayward teenagers on the streets of London and that's completely spoiled it for us responsible adults who often rely on knives to get us out of a jam.

Since I've lived here in TX I've been carrying my trusty blade everywhere I go and it's very liberating to know I have Man's oldest tool at the ready when it's needed.

Lend you MY knife?

I would rather take you to Walmart and buy you one.

Punishing everybody for the actions of a few is insane.

BTW, I've been wondering: When/how did the Magna Carta get repealed over there? If I understand correctly, it also protected the right to keep and bear arms. It's sad to see Europe going backwards instead of forward - arms are once again more a badge of rank for the "higher classes" than anything.

klabe81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Humble
    Punishing everybody for the actions of a few is insane.

BTW, I've been wondering: When/how did the Magna Carta get repealed over there? If I understand correctly, it also protected the right to keep and bear arms. It's sad to see Europe going backwards instead of forward - arms are once again more a badge of rank for the "higher classes" than anything.

I'm not sure the Magna Carta has been used for any legal purposes (other than to show the royal bloodline) Since Parliament took over as the governing body of Britain. The royals don't rule. The Monarchy has very little authority but is still highly regarded as the figurehead of our nation. (At least for tourism purposes)

There are very strict rules to gun ownership in the UK. Guns must be stored, unloaded in a locked box with only one key that the gun owner must keep on themselves at all times. Ammo must be kept separately. Regular random police visits with questioning to both the gun owner and his or her spouse.

About 200 people a year in the UK apply for a firearms license but only about 15 are accepted. Vetting is extremely stringent and it includes a psych evaluation and criminal history. Each license is gun type specific. For example one might apply for a shot gun license.

Air guns are totally legal for adults and kids must have adult supervision. But if anyone is seen carrying one in the street they are liable to be shot by police marksmen regardless of age.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I'm not sure the Magna Carta has been used for any legal purposes (other than to show the royal bloodline) Since Parliament took over as the governing body of Britain. The royals don't rule. The Monarchy has very little authority but is still highly regarded as the figurehead of our nation. (At least for tourism purposes)

There are very strict rules to gun ownership in the UK. Guns must be stored, unloaded in a locked box with only one key that the gun owner must keep on themselves at all times. Ammo must be kept separately. Regular random police visits with questioning to both the gun owner and his or her spouse.

About 200 people a year in the UK apply for a firearms license but only about 15 are accepted. Vetting is extremely stringent and it includes a psych evaluation and criminal history. Each license is gun type specific. For example one might apply for a shot gun license.

Air guns are totally legal for adults and kids must have adult supervision. But if anyone is seen carrying one in the street they are liable to be shot by police marksmen regardless of age.

Huh. I was under the impression that the Magna Carta was the English equivalent to our Constitution...

That's some crazy regulation. I'm perfectly happy with loaded guns laying all over the house, so I think I'll keep what I've got. :D

JaketheBake

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Sugar Land, TX
    My kid told my dad someone at school got suspended for carrying a pocket knife. My dad said when he was a kid if my grandad ever caught him NOT carrying his he'd get a smack. That's a bit much, but a man should carry a pocket knife.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011

klabe81

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2012
    Humble
    I'm perfectly happy with loaded guns laying all over the house, so I think I'll keep what I've got. :D

If I lived alone I'd be happy to leave loaded weapons in convenient places around the home.
    But I got 3 boys. The older two know what's best for 'em and wouldn't dare touch something they've been told not to. They are very obedient.
    But my youngest is at that age where if you take your eyes off him for 10 seconds and look back he's magically got a pair of scissors and a big smile on his face.
    Just the other day I caught him with my headphones on about to plug them into the power outlet.
    Coded lockbox is the only way for me.

mroper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Katy, TX
    My kid told my dad someone at school got suspended for carrying a pocket knife. My dad said when he was a kid if my grandad ever caught him NOT carrying his he'd get a smack. That's a bit much, but a man should carry a pocket knife.

My stepson got suspended for carrying a small pen knife to school at Katy ISD. When I went to school every kid in cub scouts would have had a knife a lot larger than that on them.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I got tired of people asking to borrow my knife, so I bought one of these jars and just keep it at my desk. If someone needs a knife, I just give them one of these semi-disposables.
    13257299835111217008589.jpeg

Flashlights... Yeah, I've had folks borrow my flashlight several times. One time the power went out at work and the guys in the server room were trying to work with one of those really cheap 6v emergency lights. I handed them my Hugsby single AA light and they were amazed that tiny light pretty much lit up the whole room. The light they were using was pretty pathetic, even for a cheap light. I keep a spare flashlight in my desk, too, in case I need to loan it out.

Not an everyday carry item, but another thing that people like to borrow from me is my scissors. I can't figure out why they don't just go ask the office manager for their own pair like I did.

Top Bottom