• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D0ntTr3@d0nM3

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2024
    Richmond, TX
    I love using my smoker and I've pretty mastered pork shoulders, but I am horrible at making brisket. The last one I made was pretty much horrible lol. Any pro tips on how to get it done right? Where to get /not to get a brisket?
    Venture Surplus ad

Huntsman52

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    San Antonio
    I found that you cook to temp and not by time. I wrap at 150 with pink butcher paper then cook to 190-195 degrees. Temp is at thickest point. Pull and let set about 1 hr. Sitting will allow internal temp to rise and stabilize and slowly cool to reabsorb juices. Also watch the smoke. you want a clear bluish smoke...not bellowing white.i have a coal bed next to my smoker I use to make the coal then transfer over to the smoker. keeps the oversmoke down but it's a pain.

RickLovesBacon

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Austin
    What kind of smoker are you using? there is really no right or wrong way to smoke you have to keep playing with the process until you find something that works for you. For example I don't go by temp to wrap my brisket. I wait until the bark is set. I let mine rest for a minimum of two hours wrapped in towels then placed in a cooler. invest in some nice temperature probes they will make the world of difference. I like the bluetooth probes that give you meat temp and smoker temps at the same time. The temp gauges already on the smokers don't reflect what's actually going on

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I love using my smoker and I've pretty mastered pork shoulders, but I am horrible at making brisket. The last one I made was pretty much horrible lol. Any pro tips on how to get it done right? Where to get /not to get a brisket?
    BUY THE BEST BRISKET YOU CAN AFFORD FIND OR MAKE GOO DRY RUBUSE GOOD WOOD FOR SMOKING TYPE OWOOD MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE IN THE FLAVOR!SMOKE LOW AND SLOW I GENERALLY GOAT LEAST TEN HOURS AT250 OR225DEGREES!

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Look on you tube at Meat church site or Malcom Reed site. Quit messing with the brisket when smoking managing the fire is more important. Get a good color smoke to 170@ IT wrap and take to 195 - 205 It. Lay your hand on it and when done the
    bbq1.jpg
    Smoked Brisket.JPG
    brisket should wiggle like a fat gals ass. Wrap and put in cooler and let it rest hour or two at least. Best sliced at 150 degrees, slice only what you plan to eat.

Texan79423

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 7, 2021
    Flatlands
    Forgot to add you will mess up several until you get one right. Like sex it just keep getting better and better. Relax go slow it take hours so enjoy getting to the end.

Think about it large BBQ joint don't doctor up briskets and baby then all the time. They use salt pepper throw them on manager the fire never raise lid wrap and pull. They manage the pits ie Pit masters.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    How did you cook it before? What was horrible about it?

I usually cook mine at 275, but anywhere from 225-275 had produced about the same results for me. Pull it off when it jiggles like jello, usually about 200-205 internal temp. Everythjng else is personal preference. Just season how you like, trim how you like, and don’t overthink it.

A lot of the processes I read online about having to wrap at a certain temp, spritz at certain intervals just adds to the complexity and doesn’t really have much difference in outcome. All that stuff is ok, if you like doing it, but it’s not that important.

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    What they all said ^^^

Don't overtrim the fat- get rid of the hard fat, but leave that 1/4 thin layer to melt and keep it from drying out.

Meat only absorbs smoke until a certain temperature- about 165 degrees. Folks wrap the brisket after that to keep it moist and cut down on cook time. Some use foil, some pink paper to keep the bark intact.

Let it rest after or the juice will run out. Resist the temptation!

Pellet smoker: I use B & B brand pellets- HEB sells them.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Smoking meat is an art. The trick is to find what works for you with the smoker you are using. That takes a little trial and error. I tart mine fat side down to get the fat hot. Then cook it fat side up so the fat cooks thru the meat and tenderizes it.
    I try to trim as little fat as possible to get an even cook. The hard fat is the sweet stuff. I leave as much as I can.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    My biggest problem with smoking a brisket is I tend to nod out at the worst time. I would much prefer short ribs / Dinosaur ribs. Way less cooking time, pretty much the same type of meat.

I enjoy sitting outside by the smoker for the most part. Going in and out of the house sucks, but at least I don’t have the sliding patio door from hell to deal with. The last brisket that I cooked I set up my folding army cot.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    What they all said ^^^

Don't overtrim the fat- get rid of the hard fat, but leave that 1/4 thin layer to melt and keep it from drying out.

Meat only absorbs smoke until a certain temperature- about 165 degrees. Folks wrap the brisket after that to keep it moist and cut down on cook time. Some use foil, some pink paper to keep the bark intact.

Let it rest after or the juice will run out. Resist the temptation!

Pellet smoker: I use B & B brand pellets- HEB sells them.
    SMOKE FAT SIDE UP AND LET GRAVITYPULL THE JUICES INTO THE BRISKET!

Top Bottom