• ...and so much more!
  • Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    I searched and didn't see a conversation on this already...

Wife has some silverware that has been handed down and isn't interested in keeping it. Resale sucks on them, so I'm wondering if it's worthwhile to have it smelted into bars?

Has anyone here done that? Doing that?
    Capitol Armory ad

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Wife tried with some places that deal in silver, spoke to a few places that do local auctions, etc.. All said pretty much the same - folks aren't interested in that stuff anymore and it doesn't sell for much.

I'll have to dig it out and looking for markings, but we have the case. It was her mother's and is from Germany. I don't remember exactly how old it is though - will ask the wife if she knows.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    After getting married we got the grandmother flatware. It was gold colored. I made a sandwich and didn’t rinse off the knife I used for mayonnaise. Later on after washing it the gold color was gone.

I started using the old flatware that I had. My wife got pissed off because it didn’t match the gold stuff. Told her that I really didn’t want to be eating any fake gold plating that came off that easily.

Ausländer

Yak Shaving
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 14, 2022
    New Braunfels
    Well that ain’t sterling silver. Every thing sterlingi has is tarnished & needs cleaning.

It tarnishes and has to be cleaned if not stored in a ziplock bag.

Here's the handle of one:
    handle.jpg

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    I've got some old silverware (with the now gay 3 prong forks) that are tarnished and marked Panama Silver...................

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    MFN="Metallwaren Fabrik Nagold" evidently a high grade copper/zinc/nickel alloy......Germany...

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Panama Silver is the composition as the MFN.................

I know some here may be interested in the three prong forks...DM me................

OutlawStar

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 14, 2017
    Anna
    Young people today have zero appreciation for china and silver.
    As a young people myself its not that I have zero interest in it, I just cannot afford a super special dinnerware set of cutlery, plates, dishes, glasses, goblets, etc that I'd use once a year when the family comes over. Nor do I have it in my budget for a piece of furniture to store it for 360 days a year. Maybe thats my fault for not making 7 figures with a spouse, but there are so many other things in life that come before fancy china, silver, and crystal.

As someone who grew up with some rather nice super-special-don't-dare-touch-it (as a child) special dinnerware, I wouldn't mind some fancier stuff but it also blows my mind that people, including my own parents, spent well over $10,000 on that stuff and it was used 2 or 3 times a year. They had higher incomes than I do so the money proportionately wasn't insane, but also its not something younger folks can really afford. I don't want to 'cheap out' and get something I don't absolutely love, but if I had to spend $10-20k on something today it wouldn't be plates and silverware. Same with stuff like Waterford cut crystal drinkware. Its super pretty, feels great in the hand, and everyone appreciates but I'm also not in a hurry to blow $2000 on glasses for myself and girlfriends.

And that reminds me of another thing for you old people buying this really nice stuff! Some of your prized and cherished possessions are going straight to the landfill when you assume room temperature. That fine china you paid many thousands of dollars for may not even garner interest from collectors and head straight to the trash. Pull it out more than once a year for holidays: at least use it while you still can or give it to someone who will use it!

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    We got our current china & flatware from our neighbors next door in Houston. Before my wife got sick she wanted her mothers china cabinet and its contents. Her mother agreed, but Covid was in full freak out phase. I told my wife with my back and a cap on my truck we would have wait until my buddy got back from off shore to use his truck or someone in the neighborhood. I told her It would take two to load it up, plus she would have to go with.

When the wifes niece & nephew came through on their migration to Louisiana, they spent night with their grand parents. My Mother in Law asked her granddaughter what she would like from the house. The china cabinet & china plus some painting my wife did was what she asked for. He grandmother told he it was already promised out to a cousins kid.

DaBull

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 19, 2021
    San Antonio, TX
    The decline in interest in silverware, lead crystal and bone china predates Bidenomics and the recent spike in inflation. It roughly coincided with the rise of business casual and informalizing of the work and public environments. Who gives a crap about formal dinner ware when people are wearing shorts, sweats, and yoga pants at work, in their homes, at sit down restaurants, and on planes? There is also a decreasing interest in diamond rings for engagements and weddings. CZs look better and cost way less. Sell it now while there are still living baby boomers looking to complete their collection in retirement.

HKSig

Let's Go Brandon!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Spring
    German "silver' isn't silver. If it's marked 925 or Sterling, it's 92.5% silver.

There's also silverware made from coins, AKA coin silver. It's 90% silver; I have yet to stumble across any, but it's out there.

Top Bottom