Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I disagree. So, you're saying he should do nothing just in case something else happens?
    No. Actually, I don't think we disagree at all. Doing the right thing is the right thing to do. Period.

I'm only commenting on tactics. I think it would have been smarter to do what he did (make sure he and the local prosecutor were on the same page) and then stay quiet. Baiting the WBC serves no purpose. Without a promise of publicity, WBC probably wouldn't show up and there'd be no potential for problems. If they did show up, Zod's post tells what to do: watch 'em like a hawk and nail them (with perfect procedure at every step) for any infraction, making their trip a waste of time and money.

I'm not saying the Sheriff was wrong. I'm just saying that it's not necessary for law enforcement officials to publicly draw lines in the sand. The lines are already there (in both law and cultural norms) and the Sheriff didn't need to remind anyone where they are. He just needs to be willing and able to enforce the law when those lines are crossed.

No matter the approach, though, I get the sense this guy will handle any situation that arises.
    ARJ Defense ad

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Any updates...? ...
    There were unconfirmed reports that WBC arrived in West on the 21st. Their original press release has been quoted as saying they were going to protest on the 24th. However, I can't find any place where the original press release was posted for verification. If they did protest before today, it hasn't made the news that I've been able to find. What has made the news was that the Maroon Wall was ready for them on the 24th and they no-showed: Maroon Wall stands for no show Westboro - The Battalion - Texas A&M

WBC has replaced the original press release on their web site with two new ones that both say they won't start protesting until today. I can confirm that these are *new* press releases because they call out the Sheriff for his press conference. They promise to protest at 7 different funerals and if they keep their word, they will have finished protesting at the first funeral as of ~30 minutes ago. The Maroon Wall ( #MaroonWall ) twitter feed is silent on whether they actually showed up.

Given the efforts of the Maroon Wall and other groups, I suspect that authoritative news on whether WBC actually shows up and tries anything will come first from either that twitter feed or thebatt.com.

For now, I'm taking a "no news is good news" position.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    uhu4equh.jpg

Pinlifter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2012
    DFW
    It would suck if an urgent call drew all law enforcement away from the area and they were all beaten and had their cameras destroyed.

The police have no obligation to protect a person as the USSC ruled in 2005.

sonuvaTXgun

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Borger, TX
    There were unconfirmed reports that WBC arrived in West on the 21st. Their original press release has been quoted as saying they were going to protest on the 24th. However, I can't find any place where the original press release was posted for verification. If they did protest before today, it hasn't made the news that I've been able to find. What has made the news was that the Maroon Wall was ready for them on the 24th and they no-showed: Maroon Wall stands for no show Westboro - The Battalion - Texas A&M

WBC has replaced the original press release on their web site with two new ones that both say they won't start protesting until today. I can confirm that these are *new* press releases because they call out the Sheriff for his press conference. They promise to protest at 7 different funerals and if they keep their word, they will have finished protesting at the first funeral as of ~30 minutes ago. The Maroon Wall ( #MaroonWall ) twitter feed is silent on whether they actually showed up.

Given the efforts of the Maroon Wall and other groups, I suspect that authoritative news on whether WBC actually shows up and tries anything will come first from either that twitter feed or thebatt.com.

For now, I'm taking a "no news is good news" position.

Thanks and Gig 'Em.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Heard they were arrested and held in jail until after the memorial. Can anyone confirm that? That would make sense as to why they never protested.

Heard they were held under the 24 hour rule, them released.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    + A Million

The WBC is a business. The core family are (almost) all lawyers and they file lawsuits by the ton. Their entire business plan is:

1. Show up where they're not wanted.
    2. Be outrageously offensive.
    3. Be on the receiving end of some anger.
    4. Scream bloody murder that they've somehow been harmed/attacked/whatever.
    5. Sue everybody.
    6. Collect damages.
    7. Lather.
    8. Rinse.
    9. Repeat.
    DO NOT FALL FOR IT!

This

UncleSamsMisguidedChild

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    San Antonio
    Heard they were arrested and held in jail until after the memorial. Can anyone confirm that? That would make sense as to why they never protested.

Heard they were held under the 24 hour rule, them released.

I heard that as well. As soon as they arrived, they were arrested and held for 24 hours preventing them from protesting. I can't find anything to confirm or deny this.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I'm thinking that is a tall tale.

Can't confirm that story. I suppose a call to the Sheriff's office to inquire might answer that.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zw150202
    Top Bottom