• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Davetex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Greers Ferry Lake
    The number of beneficiaries on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)—AKA food stamps--has topped 46,000,000 for 38th straight months, according to data released by the Department of Agriculture (USDA).Jan 13, 2015

But the 109,631,000 living in households taking federal welfare benefits as of the end of 2012, according to the Census Bureau, equaled 35.4 percent of all 309,467,000 people living in the United States at that time.Aug 20, 2014

A record 92,898,000 Americans 16 years and older did not participate in the labor force last month, according to data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Jan. 9 2015

Full-Time-vs-Part-time-16-plus-since-2000.gif

Oh yeah, the economy is doing just great under Obughole.
    Hurley's Gold

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    The number of beneficiaries on the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)—AKA food stamps--has topped 46,000,000 for 38th straight months, according to data released by the Department of Agriculture (USDA).Jan 13, 2015

But the 109,631,000 living in households taking federal welfare benefits as of the end of 2012, according to the Census Bureau, equaled 35.4 percent of all 309,467,000 people living in the United States at that time.Aug 20, 2014

A record 92,898,000 Americans 16 years and older did not participate in the labor force last month, according to data released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Jan. 9 2015

Full-Time-vs-Part-time-16-plus-since-2000.gif

Oh yeah, the economy is doing just great under Obughole.

Tell me again how that stock market is doing?

How much cash to companies have on hand these days?

How many babyboomers retire each day?

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Tell me again how that stock market is doing?

How much cash to companies have on hand these days?

How many babyboomers retire each day?

People with disposable income, banks and big business play the stock markets

Large businesses make good profits but they aren't expanding and reinvesting or hiring at the rate they should be because they'd be screwed over with taxes, fees and penalties.

What difference does it make how many boomers retire? Should they work until they are 80 or 90.

The average American doesn't have the income they had 7 years ago because they can't find full time jobs and wages have stagnated while taxes an costs of everything are going up. There are fewer people with full time jobs now than there were 7 years ago. People with part time jobs aren't the ones speculating in the stock market, they don't make enough to support themselves and get no benefits. No vacation, no retirement and no health insurance. They depend on tax payers to supplement their income.

In 2008 there were 28.2 million people that needed food stamps. In 2015 there are 47 million people who need food stamps. What kind of fool would consider this to be a healthy, robust economy?

Last edited:

The Lox

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Farmers Branch
    Maybe we should go back to 2006 - 2008, I mean things were so great then..

You guys have no clue what you are talking about when discussing the state of the economy. Again, not surprised at all. Those who pay attention to what they want to hear, ignore what is really happening around them.

Dan - The majority of the country "plays" the market in one way or another through workplace savings programs, so uncork your mindset a little.

Corporations have excess cash because people are spending money, a concept that shouldnt be that hard to understand.

Baby Boomers retiring has an impact on those "jobs" reports you guys love to hang your hat on. We made over 3 million jobs last month, which you would have seen if you took the time to read one of the links I posted.

Of course, if all you care about is looking at the number of people on food stamps you are probably a single agenda item voter too.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Maybe we should go back to 2006 - 2008, I mean things were so great then..

You guys have no clue what you are talking about when discussing the state of the economy. Again, not surprised at all. Those who pay attention to what they want to hear, ignore what is really happening around them.

Dan - The majority of the country "plays" the market in one way or another through workplace savings programs, so uncork your mindset a little.

Corporations have excess cash because people are spending money, a concept that shouldnt be that hard to understand.

Baby Boomers retiring has an impact on those "jobs" reports you guys love to hang your hat on. We made over 3 million jobs last month, which you would have seen if you took the time to read one of the links I posted.

Of course, if all you care about is looking at the number of people on food stamps you are probably a single agenda item voter too.

Only the people with full time jobs are are playing the stock market through workplace savings programs. The approx 19% of American workers who can only find part time work don't have that luxury.

The Bureau of Labor Statics reported 223,000 new jobs in June did you dig the 3 million number out from between your crusty butt cheeks. And how many of the 223,000 were just part time with no benefits. It also doesn't take into the account the number of jobs that were lost and the jobless rate does not include people who's unemployment benefits have run out.

Businesses have excess cash because they are not spending it on expansion. The 47 million people on food stamps don't have much disposable income and aren't the ones spending it.

I mention food stamps because it is an indicator of the number of people living below the poverty line. That is a number that has doubled since 2008 and continues to rise.

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Food stamps are offered even above the poverty line.

The real problem in globalization. Our government has made it impractical (and likely to get a corporate officer civilly sued) to repatriate profits so they sit overseas, earning interest. Tax amnesty and reworking the tax code would allow for reinvestment here, meaning more jobs.

Last edited:

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Food stamps are offered even above the poverty line.

Yes, that is true but it still an indicator of those below the poverty line and the number of people struggling to make ends meet and reflects poorly on our economy. People on food stamps don't have the surplus income to invest in the stock market even if they are over the poverty line.

Last edited:

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Yes, that is true but it still an indicator of those below the poverty line and the number of people struggling to make ends meet and reflects poorly on our economy. People on food stamps don't have the surplus income to invest in the stock market even if they are over the poverty line.

With regards to food stamps, maybe. There are a lot of people gaming the system, too. Just like social security/Disability.

I'm all for helping folks who need help.

I'm not for eternal welfare for nothing.

The majority of stock investment is institutional holdings, e.g. IRA, 401k, 403b, pensions, etc. It's not speculative personal investing.

Last edited:

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    The majority of stock investment is institutional holdings, e.g. IRA, 401k, 403b, pensions, etc. It's not speculative personal investing.

Would you agree that people who can only find part time jobs really don't benefit from institutional holdings, e.g. IRA, 401k, 403b, pensions, etc. My mind was still stuck on what loxy said about the stock market.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    I don't begrudge the working poor needing help. It's not their fault they can't find full time work where they can make a living wage and I don't understand how people can believe that our economy is thriving. At least we're not Greece.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Would you agree that people who can only find part time jobs really don't benefit from institutional holdings, e.g. IRA, 401k, 403b, pensions, etc. My mind was still stuck on what loxy said about the stock market.

Longer response than I can put here. In short, no, I don't agree, indirectly.

I also think our spending/saving patterns are out of whack. One generation can change this for a family but it takes hard work. Work that might be hard to find and you might have to make for yourself.

DubiousDan

Trump 2024
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    San Antonio
    Longer response than I can put here. In short, no, I don't agree, indirectly.

I also think our spending/saving patterns are out of whack. One generation can change this for a family but it takes hard work. Work that might be hard to find and you might have to make for yourself.

Do you think our economy is a good as loxy seems to think it is?

It seems to me that people seem to think they are entitled to things and don't want to wait to save for the things and gadgets they want so we have so many people drowning in debt.

I got out of credit card debt about 25 years ago and threw them away after I figured out what a trap they can be. In general if I can't afford to pay for it, I don't need it. Right now the only thing I owe any money on is my house. My car is paid of but my wife is still paying on hers. My credit rating keeps going up.

Last edited:

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    What these idiots are doing is reinflating the housing bubble w artificially low interest rates and increasing the money supply.

So yeah, housing looks better...for now. Then we get a tsunami worse than '08.

90% of these idiots on the hill are incompetent hacks. They need to stay the F out of Texas' (and every other state's) business.

That goes for both parties.

Top Bottom