Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    ...when boyfriend/husband are teaching girlfriend/wife and have no idea themselves what the **** they are doing...
    That's a recipe for disaster along multiple dimensions.

There's nothing I like better than teaching women and kids who've never handled a firearm before.

There's nothing I like less than teaching grown men who believe they are the prodigal sons of John Wayne and are therefore born with a complete and perfect knowledge of all things firearms-related.

When the second group is trying to teach the first group, though, tears and terror are in the offing.
    Gun Zone Deals

DaleGribble82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2019
    NC
    Yep damn right. Could teach women and kids all day, and the occasional man that openly admits he doesn’t know Jack. John Wayne students piss me off to know end with their stories about “this is how my papa does it”. I’m not your fucking papa bud I know a couple things and I’m bout to slap you so hard your fucking mag empties itself out of fear.

Sorry about the rant, but I deal with this often and it drives me insane lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillFairbanks

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2017
    Johnson County, TX
    If you overhear someone saying "watch this, I saw this in a movie" run.

1*sp6OcvMhMv4ZxQLReh5qHw.gif

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    There's nothing I like better than teaching women and kids who've never handled a firearm before.

There's nothing I like less than teaching grown men who believe they are the prodigal sons of John Wayne and are therefore born with a complete and perfect knowledge of all things firearms-related.

Could teach women and kids all day, and the occasional man that openly admits he doesn’t know Jack. ...

While I enjoy instructing the inability to screen students is why I won’t get involved with that segment.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Eagle Gun Range in Farmers Branch is pretty good at stopping nonsense right there, as you for instance can tell by the several negative reviews they got on Google, along the lines of "I've seen several guns while my daddy was in the military and I have a CHL so I know what I'm doing, why do they have to be so rude!"

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Not just at Reds (I won't go there anymore), but I have even been swept at Austin Rifle Club. It was by a guest of a member who wasn't policing his guest. We got that straight real quick, but it just goes to show that you have to be carefull everywhere.

topduarte

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2017
    These stories sound just like Red's Indoor range in Pflugerville.

I have been to Reds and I have never experienced this. I do watch who is around me and after I shoot 6 rounds in my revolver or 20 rounds in my AR or 7 rounds in my 1911, I step back nd watch the others for awhile.

I NEVER SHOOT when there is more than 7 people at Reds. NEVER.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I have been to Reds and I have never experienced this. I do watch who is around me and after I shoot 6 rounds in my revolver or 20 rounds in my AR or 7 rounds in my 1911, I step back nd watch the others for awhile.

I NEVER SHOOT when there is more than 7 people at Reds. NEVER.

Ditto.
    Also, when new people walk in I'll pause and walk to the back wall of the range.
    This allows me to gauge how carefully I need to keep an eye on them pretty quickly.

DaleGribble82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2019
    NC
    I just stay away from ranges like what has been described in this thread. I typically will make the drive to an outdoor range where I know the staff on a personal level via competition. Knowing those around makes it less stressful.

DaleGribble82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2019
    NC
    I just stay away from ranges like what has been described in this thread. I typically will make the drive to an outdoor range where I know the staff on a personal level via competition. Knowing those around makes it less stressful.

That isn’t a knock at you all. Range time is important regardless of the facilities you have access to and some of us only have access to these indoor ranges which sometimes allow ass hats through the door

HKShooter65

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Makes my so appreciative that I have a private family place to shoot.

Anytime I take someone shooting that I don't know quite well I watch them like a hyper vigilant hawk.
    My #1 safety rule is only one gun being handled at a time with all other eyes on that one gun. I am an unapologetic dick about the rule, to boot.

Even there, at my spot, I've been swept too many times over the years. Once gets them some education. Twice and they never get asked back.
    Public ranges scare the poo outa' me too.

Last edited:

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    It’s really bad how many people sweep others and if you’re truly aware I would expect a person to see it and catch it and own it. It’s not complicated. Where the f is your muzzle? Where are people/animals? Trigger control even when handling fakes or scan guns lol! That’s how you know you’re a gun guy.

The only time I got laid back and the ro was cool with it was they wanted flags for guns that don’t lock open, ie my ak. I’m so used to shooting in the mountains I just use a spent shotshell or chunk of wood. Ro was cool with my redneck flag. We just didn’t have flags like we thought, they didn’t, so...chunk of wood in you go.

Last edited:

Toolfreak

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    Allen Texas
    The only reason I went to this range was that they had a 10mm to rent and I wanted to shoot one. I normally will go to elm fork and shoot steel or go to rifle range but I don't think I want to shoot with that many newbies anymore!!!

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    So at a public range, an inexperienced shooter violated one of the 4 basic rules.

Did anyone see the most recent Shooting USA episode? He was highlighting some teenage skeet/trap shooters and filming some girl and she turned did a full sweep of the cameraman with her O/U.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    2 weeks ago my wife asked me to come at look at a pistol that was "jamming" for a customer. I walked behind the counter next to her and he was pointing the gun at me, then her, then me then her as he was talking......finger on the trigger...

I grabbed the muzzle and pointed it down towards the counter and simultaneously asked if I could see the pistol.....He said "it's unloaded". I removed the empty magazine and popped a live round out of the chamber.

He will not be back...........

I trust no one.....ever....

Top Bottom