• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pvtsnowball82

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Outside San Antonio
    Hey SA TGTers:

My older brother just retired from the Army and moved back home to SA. He was an MP and is looking around for work as a peace officer, preferably in a small dept. Does anyone have any leads in the SA region? He's already applied to a couple school district PDs, but no luck so far. Let me know if you got anything. Thanks!

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Most of the small towns are a walk in the door and ask. My first job was at a PD that hadn't placed an add in the paper at all. And at that time, never had. They drew from the reserves to fill full time spots. So they had a workforce in the wait. And of course some of the departments that did place an add. Still drew from the reserves to fill the spot. They want to see how you do part time before they cut you loose.

Any town in the area with a population of less then 20k is a good start. Some have reserve police officers. Towns that have around 3k in pop, IMHO have issues with the police, and small town politics that will drive him nuts.

And since he's an EX MP......he really needs to look on the FED level. Or government contractors. Ex MP's of my company were getting jobs in the private sector, watching the gates of FtHood. For 40k a year. Just to stare at ID's.

His security clearance is GOLD. It's worth his time to throw it out there for the high paying, easy jobs.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    SAPD is hiring...

San Antonio Police Department Careers

...and they have their own academy. He'll get preference points for being a vet, and his time as an MP will be beneficial as well (although law enforcement in the military is quite different than the civilian world).

I know that's not a small department, but he probably stands a better chance of getting hired on there than the smaller ones in the area. Plus, from what I understand, most prefer that the individual hired is already TCLEOSE certified.

There are also civilian security officers at the military bases around San Antonio, the best place to look for vacancies for them is USAJOBS - The Federal Government's Official Jobs Site.

Most likely his vet status won't work that much in his favor, SA is so packed with veterans that isn't much of an advantage these days.

And as for security clearances, while the do give a person an edge over someone who doesn't have one, they're not as "gold" as they used to be; especially if it's lower than a TS/SCI. I know many a cleared individuals who are unemployed at the moment, there are big cuts in the government going on and the guarantee of having a job because you have one is not what it used to be.

He can also try down south around Jourdanton/Floresville and beyond, there's a lot of security opportunities there will the oil shale operations.

Hope that helps.

Cheers! M2

35Remington

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Way out here
    T C L E O S E, is the agency. Texas Commisssion on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education

If we are correcting typos, you don't need that comma after the E.

I would recommend him looking at Trinity University and Olmos Park Police Department. Guys I have talked to from both places seem to enjoy their jobs.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Unless he goes to SAPD (in this area), he is gonna need to have a Texas Peace Officer license to get a job. If he gets one....many departments in the Eagle Ford are looking for staff due to losing employees to the oil biz.

Top Bottom