• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Had an incident yesterday where a case was not extracted from the chamber upon firing, and the next round fed from the magazine went off when it jammed between the bolt and the stuck case....the bullet fired on an open bolt, into the back of the stuck case, lead splattered everywhere. Anyone else ever have this happen?
    Texas SOT

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That's crazy, but I guess bein rim fire it's possible when things jam up like that. I guess no one was injured, any damage to the rifle?

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Did some googling....relatively common occurrence, especially with dirty rifles and mine certainly was dirty. As far as damage, the only thing i can tell is that the extractor got blown out (missing). Mine is an early model and it seems S&W has made some parts updates to remedy the problem, so their warranty dept will be receiving my rifle asap.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Mine is an early model and it seems S&W has made some parts updates to remedy the problem

Quantify "early model" please.

I have a pair of these ... both purchased new, one in July of 2011 and the other in April of 2012.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Buddy of mines dad had this happen. Had to send it back to the factory for repairs. The kiddo pulling the trigger got some minor shrapnel, and it scared the shit out of everyone.

Tapatalk sent it.

shipwreck

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Beretta City,Texas
    There were several reports of this with the M&P rifles when they very first came out. S&W seemed to have fixed it because you don't see these reports all that often now (on various gun forums). Maybe you have an older one that sat on a store shelf a while?

I'd call S&W

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    There were several reports of this with the M&P rifles when they very first came out. S&W seemed to have fixed it because you don't see these reports all that often now (on various gun forums). Maybe you have an older one that sat on a store shelf a while?

I'd call S&W

See post #5 above.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Did some googling....relatively common occurrence, especially with dirty rifles and mine certainly was dirty. As far as damage, the only thing i can tell is that the extractor got blown out (missing). Mine is an early model and it seems S&W has made some parts updates to remedy the problem, so their warranty dept will be receiving my rifle asap.

How dirty? Like 100 rounds dirty, 5k?

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Yes, I had that happen with a Remington 11-48 short recoil operated semi automatic 12 gauge. I just bought the gun used, had some problems with feeding and as I pulled the bolt back, the round went off with the bolt about 1/2" open. Nothing touched the trigger as my hand was on the bolt handle. Regardless, it should not have fired with an unlocked bolt.

Everything came out the ejection port and the end of the shell was still crimped in the chamber. My face was black and glasses saved my eyes. The glasses were hanging from one ear when the smoke cleared.

The shotgun was VERY dirty but I was in a hurry and wanted to try out my new toy. After the incident, I cleaned and shot it for years afterward without another problem.

Flash

Top Bottom