• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    Any owners of this fine revolver? Based on the GP100 it’s probably one of the strongest built small frame revolvers. Available in the .357/.38, along with 9mm and .327 Fed offerings. Never was a fan of Rugers centerfire semi autos, but their revolvers all seem over built.

Texas SOT

jmohme

TGT Addict
    May 11, 2015
    Dont own one, but have shot a few and do really like them. Solid revolver and good shooting too.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    IIRC, 1st effort at .357 magnum would only accept semi wad cutter length magnums - more comfortable with .38s. But it was a sweetheart. 1.5" barrel that served as a nightlight when you fired at night. BIG muzzle flash! Full size magnums worked (fit) in the 2nd generation.

Last edited:

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I highly recommend them. Mine is da/sa 357 with 2” barrel. The size and weight is perfect and the grip is quite comfortable. I wouldn’t want to carry anything heavier, and I wouldn’t want to shoot 357 out of anything lighter. I like the cylinder release better than S&W or Colt.

IMG_5245.jpeg

Last edited:

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    To me sp101 is in the same category as a glock. I have owned a few but don't keep them. I shoot them OK but they don't fit my hand that well. My wife has a 3" 357 that she likes but give me a j frame any day. I know they are not as robust as the sp101 but I don't need all the robustness that the sp101 brings to the table. As in everything, different strokes for different folks.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    To me sp101 is in the same category as a glock. I have owned a few but don't keep them. I shoot them OK but they don't fit my hand that well. My wife has a 3" 357 that she likes but give me a j frame any day. I know they are not as robust as the sp101 but I don't need all the robustness that the sp101 brings to the table. As in everything, different strokes for different folks.
    One nice thing about revolvers is the grip options available. You can only do so much with the grip of a semi auto.

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    I have owned SP101s. They are tough as an anvil and great shooters. That said, I like to pocket carry small revolvers and the SP101 is just too heavy for pocket carry for me.

I don’t know anyone that pocket carried them in their pants, but a few people I knew did ankle carry them. I tried, but the weight was too much for me.

wbblazer90

Nov 18, 2014
    Ymmv, but I’ve put everything through mine including light weight, pissing hot 110gr loads through mine over the years and never had an issue with timing or lock up. No concern over flame cutting the forcing cone like older k frame smiths.

Texasgordo

TGT Addict
    May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    Used to have one years ago but sold it to fund other boom sticks. Pleasant to shoot up to +P38spl but full power 357 mags were brutal with the short factory grip. Once I installed the full length rubber Hogue grips the wasn't as bad.

Still a awesome shooter and lots of fun.

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I've never owned one, but I've certainly handled a bunch of them. I really like the feel of them... the heft, balance... they just feel right. I prefer the feel of the 3" version. I think they are the "standard" for tough snub-type revolvers.

My problem is that (IMO) ANY snub is too small for the .357 service type load. I think that 38+P is about all that any snub can efficiently and comfortably shoot. And the SP 101 is over-built for that round. With that degree of robustness, Ruger should have made them a 6-shot 38+P... again, IMO.

If I'm going with a .357, it's going to be at least a K-frame/GP100 size.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gearhead_Gunsmith
    Top Bottom