• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roscoe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Magnolia
    I've always liked my Marlin 1894 lever action .44 magnum. Lightweight, accurate and enough power for deer, hogs or coyotes (or most anything else I'll run into in my part of Texas). Easily carried when waling around in the field/woods ands stores eaily in my Dodge pickup. I know in recent years Marlin took a serious dip in quality, and think they were taken over by Ruger. My late 1970's model 1894 is still in great shape. I've heard the new models are very good too.

zackmars

Novice Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    A rifle in .308 or .30-06 would be great. For "general purpose", stay away from magnums. You just won't shoot it enough to be good at it because of the expense of the ammo and the pain in your shoulder. Savage makes a great bolt action at a low price right now. Remington has been popular, but the factory quality went to crap and the new owners are just starting to turn out OK rifles again. Ruger is always a good choice, but bolt action is not their most popular. I favor the Winchester Model 70 series as being accurate, tough, and safe.

Lever action guns are fun, but nothing gives you the distance and accuracy of a good bolt action with a good scope. Plan to spend at least half as much on a scope as you spent on the rifle. You will never regret buying a good scope. Seriously.

Someone mentioned .22, and EVERYONE should have a .22, but I wouldn't consider that a "general purpose" rifle. I would say build your collection in this order (based on what you already own):

1. Bolt action rifle in .308 or .30-06 with a really good quality scope
    2. A .22 rifle - probably a Ruger 10/22
    3. A lever action rifle in .22 or .30-30. Winchester or Henry or an old Savage 99. They're light, they're fun to shoot, and they look great.
    4. Something fun that you don't own. M1 Garand, .300 Mag, .45 Colt, etc.

Watch out for those calibers that are suddenly popular for a year or two and then go away. You pay top dollar for the rifle, you can't find the ammo (or if you do, it's super expensive), and once it's popularity fades, you can't sell the rifle.

As you build a collection, remember that the firearms that don't work out for you can be traded to help buy new stuff. When you find one that is really, really good (i.e., so fun to shoot that you can take it out every weekend, or such a tack-driver that it's the most reliable firearm you have), then KEEP IT. If you find that a particular gun hasn't come out of the safe for 3 years, or it just isn't as accurate as another rifle of that style, then that one becomes trade bait. Someone else will find the love for it.

I don't know, i think a .22 is much more useful than a .30 caliber bolt action, especially for a person relatively new to rifles.

A .22 is easier to shoot, to learn on, and much more... Discreet.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I am looking for a general purpose rifle. (If there is such a thing). I already have an ar15 and a bolt action in 556. I don't know much about rifles so be gentle. Without breaking the bank. :)
    Thanks
    Alan, this time you have gone too far! :)
    Go back to post #20. Read it like there is going to be a test later. No hype all fact.
    When some idiot introduces you to the new 6.25mm, progressive twist, shortmag, super carry, socom, refer to that post.
    All the other posts are good, in bits and pieces. He brings it all together for you.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    About 2 months ago, I bought one of the new Henry .44 Mag rifles, all black, I think they call it an X model. With light loads it would be okay for small animals, with some really hot and heavy ammo, there isn't anything I'd be afraid to use it on at a sensible range. It's light, handy, and mounts perfectly for me to get the right cheek weld and the sights fall in line just where they should be. Hopefully I'll get it to the range this year.

Laufer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Lakeland/Memphis TN
    alanwk:

How much do you want to spend per round? If you get bitten by the .308 Battle Rifle Bug, well.......you're then deep in the "rifle Everglades" without a paddle.
    At least you can buy a high quality Zastava ZPAP (7,62x39) for much less per rifle, and use ammo costing Half the price of today's lowest .308 ammo.

I was 66 (in early 2022) before the .308 Battle Rifle Bug bit me--missed All of the good deals on ammo at least ten years ago.
    Now with the PTR-91 (H&K clone), an Imbel FAL and an M1A1 (note: --I sold a few nice rifles and handguns to fund most of These--). see what can happen---:what:

---a second FAL is now shipping, and the seller is well-'vetted' plus also as a builder/evaluator on that forum: Has a bayo lug, but those are too pricey.

Last edited:

Seabee radm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2023
    Cypress
    About 2 months ago, I bought one of the new Henry .44 Mag rifles, all black, I think they call it an X model. With light loads it would be okay for small animals, with some really hot and heavy ammo, there isn't anything I'd be afraid to use it on at a sensible range. It's light, handy, and mounts perfectly for me to get the right cheek weld and the sights fall in line just where they should be. Hopefully I'll get it to the range this year.
    I got the 20” Henry all steel side loading gate in 44 and love it!

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    The Henry lever guns have become some of my most used rifles.

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    I’ve never had a problem stopping anything with Boomer: Animals, Volvo engines, 8” trees and Hyundai’s with feral hogs. And it makes a great self defense weapon / joust without having pull the trigger. 50’s for all!
    IMG_7271.png
    IMG_1793.jpeg

CavCop

CAVCOP on Rumble
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 2, 2016
    Central TX
    .308 is a great round for multiple uses. From longer range match shooting, to hunting just about anything in Texas, to fun at the range or protecting the home front from two legged predators.

Some calibers are fads, and you might not be able to find those rounds that easy. The .308 can be easily found, even in other countries.

TXAZ

:)
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    South of the Red, North of the Gulf
    .308 is a great round for multiple uses. From longer range match shooting, to hunting just about anything in Texas, to fun at the range or protecting the home front from two legged predators.

Some calibers are fads, and you might not be able to find those rounds that easy. The .308 can be easily found, even in other countries.
    .308 is probably the best overall round (next to .50 BMG).

Seabee radm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 29, 2023
    Cypress
    Since you already have a .556 I’d go with something in .308 next. Between those two rounds, you pretty much covered the spectrum for North America. .308 will get you a thing from a nice bolt action to a FAL/SCAR/AR10

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Since you already have a .556 I’d go with something in .308 next. Between those two rounds, you pretty much covered the spectrum for North America. .308 will get you a thing from a nice bolt action to a FAL/SCAR/AR10
    I dont know exactly what your budget is, but I'd say there is nothing a .308 round can do that a 5.56 round cannot in a EOTW situation and a number of things 5.56 has the advantage in so a second complete 5.56 AR is a REALLY good option for the following reasons:
    1) you already have one so a second is shootable spare parts
    2) you already have ammo for it and instead of buying another type of ammo you can have more that will work in both or your main rifles
    3) cost of the rifle is lower for a given quality
    4) cost of the 5.56 ammo is lower
    5) weight of a 5.56 rifle is lower
    6) weight of the ammo is MUCH lower (so you can lug more or carry something else)
    7) Related to 1 & 2, if your spouse/family/buddy gets equiped by you, you both would both have/carry rifle and ammo so if a rifle gets lost the ammo doesn't become deadweight and if a pack with ammo gets lost you can borrow ammo from from your buddy. Not possible if one uses 308 and the other 5.56...

Bottom line ask what your mission is then find equipment that will fill that role, not the other way around.

If your mission dictates .308 awesome, consider piecing together a AR10 from PSA if you're on a budget (good deals on blem uppers and lowers from time to time). Seriously, the weight of a .308 rifle the extra recoil (follow up shots ARE slower) and the extra weight of the ammo is a big deal and unless you train a lot, shooting past 5 or 600 is going to be really tough and 5.56 can reach out to 500 just fine for far less cost.

Other things:
    Shoot a lot, not at paper targets but move and shoot, practice barriers and field expediant positions. Do some pushups, squats and run with your kit and rifle then shoot. Staying fit will keep you alive and knowing how hard you can push and get combat effective shots on target is really important.

Sent from my SM-S918B using Tapatalk

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    As others have said get a .308. Ammo is readily available, and for hunting it works on hogs to elk sized game. Not a s fun to shoot as teh .556 due to a heavier recoil. You really need to think about what you want it for/use. I use mine strictly for hunitng in Texas. For the wide open spaces I have a Weatherby .257 magnum. Now a box of Weatherby's ran me $50 to $60 for 20 rounds 10 years ago. I can still get a decent .308 for about $21 to punch paper. Then the good ol' .22LR is fun to shoot and cheap, I have a Henry lever and a Ruger 10/22. Grandkids love shooting both.

Just my 2 cents.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Two questions: a good rifle? Or a good cartridge?

Like many have said, an ar is a great multipurpose rifle.

Cartridge on the other hand…I’m going to say a 243. It will send screamers for varmint or take down deer. But a decent shooting 5.56 is already good enough for that with in reason…

30-06, 308, 7mm rem mag, are three I myself would go with.

Top Bottom