• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Revenant is a person who has returned from a long difficult journey especially one who has returned from the dead. That's what this movie is about.

Set in 1823 in the frozen northland, this story is loosely based on a true story. I read the original story and can say that the movie is very different from the real deal.

Dicaprio is part of a band of men who head out into the wilderness to trap animals to skin and he is a guide with close ties to savage Indian tribes. It's his job to get the men back home to spend the fortune in furs that they have collected. It doesn't work out that way.

Their first encounter with the Indians (OK....Native Americans) cost 37 members of the group. The attack is bloody, ruthless and that's just the start of this flick!

The trailers for this movie divulge that Dicaprio is attacked by a Grizzly Bear so that's no secret. The horror of that attack is beyond description, but his life goes downhill from there. That bear used the guy like a chew toy and tore him to pieces. Momma Grizley took a break and came back for more. As terrible as the Grizzly attack was, every time you think that this man can't have fate crap on his head any worse, we ramp the violence and degradation up a couple of notches!

This review can't prepare you for how Dicaprio got screwed over. Even if I described each turn of events in detail, you would still be shocked and horrified! There is no way to imagine how his life turned to shxt but he just kept fighting and clawing his way to survival. This guy was a tough SOB! His character redefines the words "grit, determination, perseverance, toughness, violence and resourcefulness.

I've heard it said that when a Gila Monster lizard clamps its jaws on something, it will stay attached even after death. That's the way Dicaprio was clinging to life!

I was amazed at this movie and where it took me as a viewer. I gave the flick an A+ and Dacaprio took himself as an actor upward by light years! I've never been a big fan of Dicaprio but he showed what he is capable of as an actor.

I recommend this flick 100% but with a strong caution. This is a gritty, violent flick. It's not in the same league as the current crop of shoot-em-ups. This violence, is close up, hand to hand, bloody, vicious and brutal.

If you have problems in your life, this movie will give you a whole new perspective! How in Hell could he have survived this episode of his life?

Flash
    Gun Zone Deals

Last edited:

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Set in 1823 in the frozen northland, this story is loosly based on a true story. I read the original story and can say that the movie is very different from the real deal.

Hugh Glass: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Glass

"Glass is most widely known for his story of survival and retribution after being left for dead by companions following his mauling by a grizzly bear, a story which has been retold repeatedly since its day, and which has been adapted for the feature length films Man in the Wilderness (1971) and The Revenant (2015). The retellings portray Glass, who in the best historical accounts made his way crawling and stumbling 200 miles (320 km) to Fort Kiowa in South Dakota, after being abandoned without supplies or weapons by fellow explorers and traders during General Ashley's expedition of 1823."

I have not seen the movie but am looking forward to it. It was directed by Alejandro G. Iñárritu, who also directed Birdman, Babel, 21 Grams, and Biutiful. Looking forward to more of his movies.

Last edited:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    About sums it up Flash - good review. Family went and saw it a couple of days after it came out. I'm not a particularly artistic guy, but I found the cinematography amazing. The whole movie was shot using ambient light and is unbelievably beautiful/gruesome.

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Gotta admit that there are plenty of worthwhile things to be gained by seeing this flick. The incredible scenery is at the top of that list!

I have survived many things in life where the odds were stacked against me so I know and respect the kind of grit and determination that was required for his survival. He had a lot of skill, strength, knowledge of the wilderness but he took all of that off of any normal scale of measurement. A lot of luck was tossed into the pot, too. Everything that he had was taken from him.........and still he kept on.

This movie is worth seeing!

Flash

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Been thinking about the flick since I wrote the review. What is incredible about this saga is the magnitude of his adversities! If the story is dissected, any single event was a story in itself and every turn of events forced him to look death in the eye and to fight against impossible odds. These individual events weren't just issues, they were life and death, blood and guts potentially fatal struggles! And still, they came....... one after another.

It's an amazing story and again, based upon real events.

Flash

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I hate DiCaprio, but I love most movies he's in. The lighting choices for this film will likely draw me to see it in a theater vs. at home. Thanks for the review.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I saw it last weekend. The cinematography is breathtaking. The wardrobe is very authentic and the dialog is good. This movie is graphic and in your face. This is not a feel good movie. Its a great depiction of the epic story of Hugh Glass. If Decaprio doesn't get an Oscar for this, then the whole thing is rigged

I read about Hugh Glass many times. This was the time line in history right after the Lewis and Clark Expedition had returned and told of the vast country and countless resources of fur. So many fur companies were in the region seeking their fortune.
    He was attacked by a bear on a fur trapping expedition and the party thought he was surly dying.
    He was left with 2 men who were to tend to him and bury him properly at his death and then catch up to the party

They got scared and left him before he died. One of these men was a very young Jim Bridger. Glass's anger and sense of retribution for this act kept him alive as he walked and crawled 200 miles back to seek vengeance. He ended up forgiving Jim Bridger because he was so young. The other man, Fitzpatrick had joined the US Army and Glass didn't kill him because of the penalty for killing a soldier. He did however get his rifle back.

Oddly, the incredible story didn't really get told until some years after his death. Jim Bridger went on to explore and help map the wide open part of the country. He took his place in history among other men of note like Kit Carson and Jed Smith

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Great post! I also dug up some more on Glass. His misadventures continued long after the segment from the movie. In fact, this guy was still cheating death in 1833!

The other stories suggest that he was around 40 YO when the events of the movie took place. He was considered very "old" at that time. The Grizzly incident happened around August and make reference to his torn to crap back was infested with maggots. The movie took some artistic liberties with the facts.

It is still a good story!

Flash

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    if you like this sort of thing, you can buy a DVD of a History Channel Docudrama on Jedidiah Smith

The DVD is called "Taming the Wild West" I highly recommend it

TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    Thanks Roger! I have been trying to get the wife out to see this one but we have some serious family stuff going on where she can't so I might go in alone.

Really appreciate the reviews so keep them coming!

Top Bottom