• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Looking to have one installed, would prefer made in the USA from a reputable company with good parts availability.

What are you guys using?
    ARJ Defense ad

Last edited:

TxAgZ28

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Looking to have one installed, would prefer made in the USA from a reputable company with good parts availability.

What are you guys using?

We have this APEC one.
    We got the 50 gallon one as it was more than enough for our drinking water needs. Made in the USA. I installed it myself, wasn’t too complicated.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I recommend a DIY system with good availability and cost of replacement cartridge filters, if you get a RO system that includes them.

We had the RO system (which includes 3 cartridge filters under the sink, along with the tank) and water softener (outside) installed by San Antonio company Fidelis Elite Systems - I don't know if they also have a location in Dallas, but I don't recommend them anyway because I can't find replacement filters to change myself. Fidelity requires service call for them to replace and recommend doing so twice per year (we get by fine with once per year).

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    Just bought a setup from these guys. They’ve been around a long time and folks seem happy with them.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Just bought a setup from these guys. They’ve been around a long time and folks seem happy with them.

I've got a Spectrapure RO/DI setup for my aquariums and very happy with it.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    RO systems are oversold, IMO.....been doing water purification for almost 50 years now, and in that time I've sold less than a dozen home RO systems. I do NOT have one in my own home, nor will I - and my vendor would give me one if I would. As noted, they have a crappy recovery rate (80-90% of the water you supply them goes to drain), and the cost of maintenance is high, IMO.
    Unless you have a VERY high tap water TDS, they ain't worth the hassle. If you're going to get one, either Sam's or Amazon would be the way to go. BTW - undercounter RO's also have a nasty habit of leaking.....ever hear of mold? Neighbor did - black mold - they had to rip out several walls and decontaminate a LOT of other stuff.

@TipBledsoe - send me some pics of your RO filters....maybe I can find you a source for them, if you like. And a pic of your softener, as well - they typically "gussy up" a standard softener so they can charge ya more......lol I'll be passing through LV tomorrow anyways....

George
    210-392-8840

Truck.jpg

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Sounds like you got a unit already, hope it works well for your family. I just use a basic particulate+resin+charcoal filter under-sink unit. I've done a bunch of level tests on what comes out of the tap vs. what comes out of the filter, and I'm satisfied.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    We are on well water. We have a whole house filter and softener.

We also have one of the under sink RO units. Does it make a huge difference? I dunno. I do know we will still get a little sediment straight out of the tap and we get none when getting water from the RO dispenser.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    For future reference....sediment can easily (and cheaply) be removed with a 1 or 5 micron filter.

Yeah I get it. You would think the main filter would catch it.

But no matter, it’s already there so we use it and I can tell a bit of a difference in the water, however slight it may be.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Yeah I get it. You would think the main filter would catch it.

But no matter, it’s already there so we use it and I can tell a bit of a difference in the water, however slight it may be.

Yessir - just wanted to put that out there for others. I hate seeing $$ wasted, lol!!

G O B

School of Hard Knocks and Sharp blows
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Hays Co.
    A Home Despot unit is as good as any other, same filters and RO cartridge. If you cannot do the install yourself, then PLEASE do not attempt to work on your guns.

Top Bottom