• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    You're on page with me. Since y'all have spooked me over compressing the springs, I'd have to load up & then clean-up to go somewhere to actually change just the struts.

I have looooong argued with myself over buying a pneumatic driver but could never justify it for one job. That's been about 50 jobs ago :banghead:

LoL

Impact wrench is $40 at a pawn shop. You don't need a professional tool. Cheaply will work. After your done, pawn it back. Consider it 'pawn rental'.

This....quick strut'.....thinking it's anything less then 5 hours...nah. Unless you've been switching out struts everyday. It's gonna take a few hours to learn the process.

Quick and cheap only applies to valve stem caps. Otherwise it's expensive and slow.
    Texas SOT

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Impact wrench is $40 at a pawn shop. You don't need a professional tool. Cheaply will work. After your done, pawn it back. Consider it 'pawn rental'.

This....quick strut'.....thinking it's anything less then 5 hours...nah. Unless you've been switching out struts everyday. It's gonna take a few hours to learn the process.

Quick and cheap only applies to valve stem caps. Otherwise it's expensive and slow.
    I just may go the pawnshop route for the wrench, I never really think about them. I'm ok with 5 hours.

I just learned of these valve stem caps, may have to spring for them. LoL

th?&id=HN.608044653814745883&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.jpg

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Hmmm. $10/4 through NRA store. You're gonna have to be more competitive and don't give me none of your "it's custom made" crap either.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    matefrio;1178weekend. said:
    You're spending a dollar worth of worry for every penny saved. Get er' done. If you screw up that's ok.

I'm sorry, have interrupted your life somehow? ;)

Ordered the struts and they'll be here tomorrow. I just bought the one socket I didn't have so it looks a party of one this weekend. Woot!

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Lol .. it's running, I'm driving it. The truck gets a new starter tonight and becomes primary again.

You need to pay more attention to my life. :p

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011

Dude, I guess I'm an awesome shade tree mech because I started jacking the car up at 1430 and the bad strut is on the ground. :p Biggest issue was removing tie rod but nothing major.

$40 is exactly what I paid for the pawn shop special wrench, all it's good for is spewing oil everywhere. :mad:

Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Got a hiccup. Bolting the tie rod back and the stud just rotates. Does that mean what I think, new one?

Of COURSE that's the last thing needed to finish the side :(

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    The tie rod end is probably fine. Try to clean up the threads with a wire brush so the nut tightens more easily and further by hand. If you can get it to bottom out then usually the clamping force will keep the joint from spinning. Or take your hammer and give the tie rod end a few good whacks to try and seat it in the knuckle. By doing so, you will prevent the joint from spinning, allowing you to tighten it.

Last edited:

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    The trick to removing tie rod ends (and ball joints) is to completely remove the nut from the stud before breaking the ball joint loose. That way you aren't fighting with trying to keep the stud from spinning as you remove the nut. After you've confirmed that the nut will come off with hand pressure, then I screw it back onto the stud a few turns, then give it a good whack with a hammer, right on the nut. It will pop the ball joint out. Another trick is to give some good sharp whacks to the spindle, right next to the ball joint/tie rod end. That will also pop the joint right out.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom