• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I have a bunch but prefer Golden Sabers or XTPs. I would probably consider it after I can do some SXS testing in the next few months. The soft plated jacket and swaged cores should expand reliably but I'm not sure if they're defeated by denim like most. I'll probably sacrifice an old home made leaky denim sandbag for the test subject. I'm sure they're better than ball ammo regardless.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    I haven’t tried the hollow point the op asked about, but I have used Berry’s other bullets in my hand loads that have been good.

For ccw ammo I load the Hornady XTP bullets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

A1Oni

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Tejas
    personally I use vetted and tested ammo that isnt made by one guy in a garage myself because id rather have something I know will work every time like Hornady Critical Defense or Federal HST

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Well when you've been reloading a while you already know what works. Personally some of the least reliable ammo I've ever shot was store bought and from major manufacturers. I've had dangerously over pressured AR ammo that blew primers and terribly underpowered 45 auto ammo that barely made a 1911 function. But I will concede that even experienced reloaders don't shoot other people's reloads.

My HAP loads are range rounds but my XTP and other SD rounds are probably made to tighter tolerances that most manufactured ammo. I used to think a quality gun will always perform well, when you reload you know any firearm is only as capable as the cartridges you put in it. So any of us doing this a while would have already tested, tested and tested again before betting our life on our ammo.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    An attorney for the family of the trash you put down will jump all over the use of reloads, that you were purposely making your ammo more deadly.

Just the facts, ma'am

1*CY09QHr34KTki6QG9o9h1g.jpeg

Txhighlander

Truth against the world
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 25, 2021
    Atlanta Tx.
    An attorney for the family of the trash you put down will jump all over the use of reloads, that you were purposely making your ammo more deadly.

Just the facts, ma'am

1*CY09QHr34KTki6QG9o9h1g.jpeg
    Regardless of what you use, it will be the most deadly, most destructive ammo ever made regardless of where it came from. It's your lawyers job to refute that. Per my lawyer when I ask that question.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Gordo I've heard that for decades but have never seen it documented anywhere as an actual occurrence. It was Massad Ayoob that advised against it years ago but the castle doctrine protects anyone who engaged in a legal justifyable self defense situation from being sued for it. Regardless of their choice of ammo. It would probably be more likely if you were using banned from production ammo like black talon than your own reloads.

My SD rounds are all standard pressure which in itself proves I'm using published data with no intention of making "extra deadly" ammunition. My first choice for an EOT situation would actually be gold dot +p factory ammo. I made that decision years ago when I peppered a dead hog carcass with my CZ75. It blew a lower leg almost completely off with 1 round at the knee joint. I knew then that I'll never make anything that powerful nor should I ever need it. Didn't stop me from stocking a 500 rd case of it for a rainy day.

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    Are any of you using Berry's Hybrid Hollow Point bullets for ccw? Not looking for a debate about pros and cons of reloads for ccw.

I know a few commercial guys loading them and they all seem fairly happy with them. I don't know that any of them have put them through the full protocol but they do look nice expanded in gel. I've used them for a project and the ran well. What kind of feedback are you looking for about the projectile?

Two Gun Bob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 28, 2022
    DFW
    I found XTPs shed their skins if they spin too fast. I doubt you'll get there with a CCW rig but just putting that out there for comparison. Berry's are plated so probably not an issue regardless.

Polkwright

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2021
    Houston, TX
    Well when you've been reloading a while you already know what works. Personally some of the least reliable ammo I've ever shot was store bought and from major manufacturers. I've had dangerously over pressured AR ammo that blew primers and terribly underpowered 45 auto ammo that barely made a 1911 function. But I will concede that even experienced reloaders don't shoot other people's reloads.

My HAP loads are range rounds but my XTP and other SD rounds are probably made to tighter tolerances that most manufactured ammo. I used to think a quality gun will always perform well, when you reload you know any firearm is only as capable as the cartridges you put in it. So any of us doing this a while would have already tested, tested and tested again before betting our life on our ammo.

I've fired over 68,000 of my .38 service load over the decades. It's vetted.

I guess some that don't trust their own reloads prefer factory loads but at $1 a round they rarely shoot enough of them to really make a determination. You'd spend hundreds of dollars.

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    If you dig around on this forum, there’s a thread where a well known member figured out 158 grain 357 XTP’s don’t expand properly when fired from a carbine. I might do some experimenting with 180 grain 357 XTP’s

RiverRider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2023
    North Texas
    Are any of you using Berry's Hybrid Hollow Point bullets for ccw? Not looking for a debate about pros and cons of reloads for ccw.

I am loading those for practice ammo in a couple of EDCs. They seem to be just fine for practice ammo. For actual carry I load up the 9s with Hornady Custom 124-grain XTPs and have a small stock of them. I've chronographed the Hornady ammo and I'm confident that I can come real close to duplicating it, and I have a thousand of those bullets (the 124 XTPs) waiting on the shelf. I should be good for a while.

I swore to myself that I'd never reload 9mm, but that promise faded just as the promise I made to myself that I'd never load 55-grain FMJ for my ARs. In addition to the thousand XTPs on the shelf, there are several thousand of the Berry's 124-grain HHPs. Like I said, they're for practice ammo. I believe a guy could use them effectively for defensive purposes if he cared to test them on dead pigs, but I'm just not that ambitious. The XTPs will be fine for EDC once my factory XTP ammo is gone.

And NO, I am not in the least bit concerned about using handloads for EDC---regardless of of urban myths.

DoubleDuty

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2019
    DFW
    I am loading those for practice ammo in a couple of EDCs. They seem to be just fine for practice ammo. For actual carry I load up the 9s with Hornady Custom 124-grain XTPs and have a small stock of them. I've chronographed the Hornady ammo and I'm confident that I can come real close to duplicating it, and I have a thousand of those bullets (the 124 XTPs) waiting on the shelf. I should be good for a while.

I swore to myself that I'd never reload 9mm, but that promise faded just as the promise I made to myself that I'd never load 55-grain FMJ for my ARs. In addition to the thousand XTPs on the shelf, there are several thousand of the Berry's 124-grain HHPs. Like I said, they're for practice ammo. I believe a guy could use them effectively for defensive purposes if he cared to test them on dead pigs, but I'm just not that ambitious. The XTPs will be fine for EDC once my factory XTP ammo is gone.

And NO, I am not in the least bit concerned about using handloads for EDC---regardless of of urban myths.
    Load em up make sure they shoot good and I'm good to go

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Be sure to use all your gauges and trinket tools otherwise they won't load into the chamber when you need them nor will have be accurate. I learned about this in the last couple weeks.

Top Bottom