• TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    There are several reasons I reload. First and foremost, that’s the only way I can afford to shoot 44 Mag and 45-70. Secondly, was to improve consistency with my 308 loads. And finally, it gives me an escape from it all when I’m standing out there reloading, and not worrying about anything else.

When I first started reloading, it was pretty labor intensive, and took quite a long time. Now, I can punch out 100 rounds of 44 Mag on the Dillon 550 so fast that it makes your head spin. I remember how long it took to do things, back when the Rockchucker was my only press, and there’s no comparison to now.
    Capitol Armory ad

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That's an odd, and rather insulting, thing to say.

Reloading strikes me as something that is as boring as you want to make it.

If you read his posts you’ll notice a pattern.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Toolfreak, get the g29, you'll love it. I'm crazy about mine! The caliber itself is great.

I might get by just reloading. I have no job currently(or not much of one)so I have time and reloading, all the steps in brass prep included I enjoy.

dogbone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2017
    Llano County
    Cost reduction was the excuse I used to make the initial investment in tools and materials. The increased precision from my rifles was an added bonus. In the long run, I don't see it as saving any money since my ammo budget certainly hasn't decreased. Hardly worth the time with today's prices on 9mm but a true godsend for rifle shooters.

MetalCutter

Life is too short for cheap cigars!
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 20, 2014
    The Woodlands, TX
    It was for both in the beginning, cost savings and for fun. As I progressed and got more involved with pistol silhouette shooting it started to turn more into work. If I wanted to shoot a match (and I did) the reloading had to be taken care of beforehand. After close to thirty years of competition shooting it really became a chore. Now that I've quit shooting matches reloading has become enjoyable again, I reload what I want, when I want.

Chips n Salsa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Plano
    The cartridge I save the most money reloading is 300 BLK. I am always shocked when I go to Cabela’s and price 300 BLK…it’s like $20 for 20 rounds. I got that little Squirrel Daddy jig and a mini-saw from Hazard Fraught,…that allows you to make 300 BLK brass from 223, too. I could barely shoot 300 BLK if I paid retail.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    It started off as cost reduction. I love the 1911 and .45 ACP. Now that I'm retired it's a great hobby. I also went into bullet casting. That's a HUGE cost reduction.

My 9mm and .45 ACP loads are coming in under $6/100. I've got two Dillon 650 presses. Right now one is set up for 9mm and the other for .45 ACP, or large and small primers if you prefer.

I also load .44 Mag/Special, 10mm, .357 Mag, .38 Spl, .327 Federal, .32 S&W Long, .223, .308, .30-06. I need to set up for .30-40 Krag.

It's nice to go to the range and shoot 500+ rounds, like I did yesterday, and know that even with lunch you've spent under $40.

The side benefit is I pick up all that brass other shooters leave laying on the ground. I spent the first 30 minutes at the range yesterday picking up brass before I could shoot. Someone had left a ton of .45 ACP, .40 Short and Weak, and 9mm brass just laying on the ground. There was also a fair amount of .223 and .300 BLK.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    The side benefit is I pick up all that brass other shooters leave laying on the ground. I spent the first 30 minutes at the range yesterday picking up brass before I could shoot. Someone had left a ton of .45 ACP, .40 Short and Weak, and 9mm brass just laying on the ground. There was also a fair amount of .223 and .300 BLK.

I do the same. Unfortunately one thing reloading has done to me is drive me nuts when I lose brass I shoot.

TheMailMan

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I do the same. Unfortunately one thing reloading has done to me is drive me nuts when I lose brass I shoot.

Yeah I hate lost brass. Fortunately I've picked up around four gallons of .45 ACP and around five gallons of 9mm since joining Terrell. It's a very rare range trip where I don't come out ahead on brass.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I reload shotshells to be able to afford to shoot more.
    Most of the time I like to shoot the little guns, 28gauge and .410.
    28 gauge and .410 cartridges cost about $9-$12 a box.
    They can be reloaded for about $4 a box, a substantial savings.
    Cheap 12 gauge and 20 gauge cartridges cost about $5 a box, so my reloads are even cheaper than those.
    Reloading is a nice hobby and I save money too.

EZ-E

King Turd of Shit Mountain
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2017
    Middle of no where
    I was forced into reloading...lol....ended up receiving a free press. But it's kind of like a free puppy...lol. I think in the last month I've spent about $800 on reloading supplies to get started. Between dies, caliber plates, tool heads, brass tumbler, scale & case prep. I haven't even got into lead, powder & primers yet.

I'm enjoying it so far. I dont mind prepping brass or reloading the 9mm ive pressed so far. Its been a good break to head out into my space & get busy making bullets.

I'm looking forward to getting my rifle loads down for precision shooting & playing with different grains & bullet set lengths to get the perfect bullet for my rifles.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Some cartridges you save money on, some you don't. Try buying 35 WSL, 351 WSL, 25 Remington, 30 Remington, 10.4 Vetterli, 577/450, 8x56 Kropatschek, and a few others like that. Reloading will save a pretty good amount on cartridges that are no longer popular or even in production.

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    SQLGeek, i'm right there with you! I go nuts when I lose brass. I used to pick up my cases after each mag so I could count them but I've grown beyond that, I think

flashhole

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2013
    I got into it many years ago so I could afford to shoot the big rifles. Made no sense to me to pay $45 - $85 for a box of 20 cartridges. So for me the motivation was definitely cost savings. Since the start point I tooled up to reload for every gun I own. I even cast my own bullets for three of them.

Reloading is a great hobby. I'm a bit disappointed no family members have taken an interest in it. Who do I will the equipment to?

Tex62

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Oh that's just cold. :facepalm:

44 special has intrigued me. Lots of good things to be said about it. I'm even considering a GP100 chambered in it, knowing I can roll my own for it.

I’ve been thinking the same thing. I have a 3” GP 357 and it’s not too bad to carry. It just craves 357 and that might be a bit too much on old ears if the time came to use it outside of the range. Been wanting a big bore anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom