• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    I looked in a very old reloading manual and saw that .357 mag is actually .359 on cast bullets. When casting bullets, is there any part of the process where you run the bullet through a "sizing" die ?

I don't much about casting bullets. But is it possible they are cast slightly over? Keep in mind I am using a cheap Harbor Freight caliper, so I might be off .001 or .002 .
    Lynx Defense

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Powder Valley has several powders in stock, including Varget. 8# for $316.

Last edited:

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    I looked in a very old reloading manual and saw that .357 mag is actually .359 on cast bullets. When casting bullets, is there any part of the process where you run the bullet through a "sizing" die ?

I don't much about casting bullets. But is it possible they are cast slightly over? Keep in mind I am using a cheap Harbor Freight caliper, so I might be off .001 or .002 .
    Cast bullets are or, should be, run through a lubricator/sizer. My mold, Lyman, for the 50/70 throws a .515. Which I then size to a .512, which is the bore size. .358 is a common mold size for .357. I don't recall a .359, I checked Lyman, they show 358 as standard 357 bullet mold.
    the extra 001 could be the caliper, or a custom mold, Arsenal Molds sells those. I use a micrometer for bullets as every .001 counts. Your " plastic" caliper from Harmless Fright may be off

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    Found out I’m getting a Lee Pro 1000 for Christmas today after my wife got tired of me pounding out my first 25 reloads ever on a Lee classic loader. I did 45acp what an exciting hobby I had a mild load for my 1911 it went better than expected.
    It looks like the Pro 1000 looks to be a decent setup but kinda rickety but still excited.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Found out I’m getting a Lee Pro 1000 for Christmas today after my wife got tired of me pounding out my first 25 reloads ever on a Lee classic loader. I did 45acp what an exciting hobby I had a mild load for my 1911 it went better than expected.
    It looks like the Pro 1000 looks to be a decent setup but kinda rickety but still excited.
    The .45 family is a great round to work with, nice and big so no mashed fingers. Lots if bullets to choose from. Right now the words " out of stock" are going to annoy you much more than ever before. I have been loading for many years and never seen it like this, but this too will pass. GOOD LUCK, check back on the reloading thread with your progress and any questions.

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    The .45 family is a great round to work with, nice and big so no mashed fingers. Lots if bullets to choose from. Right now the words " out of stock" are going to annoy you much more than ever before. I have been loading for many years and never seen it like this, but this too will pass. GOOD LUCK, check back on the reloading thread with your progress and any questions.
    Thanks I appreciate it, I was fortunate to get some CCI Lpp at academy but my loading was 4.6Gr of HS6 an 230gr RN cast it worked out great no cycling issues and it was poa/poi for me out to 20yards.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    Personally, for pistol I size and deprime on a single stage press and then hand prime everything. I have my pro1000 setup to dump powder on station 1, seat bullet on station 2, and crimp on stage 3. This way I don't have to deal with the finicky priming system on the p1k. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Txdweeb

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2022
    Temple, Tx
    Personally, for pistol I size and deprime on a single stage press and then hand prime everything. I have my pro1000 setup to dump powder on station 1, seat bullet on station 2, and crimp on stage 3. This way I don't have to deal with the finicky priming system on the p1k. Just my 2 cents.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    I’ve been watching videos about that, I’ll see how it works for me to begin with and go from there. I don’t foresee myself doing huge batches maybe 1-200 at a time once I’m proficient with it.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Gave mine away for free. Thought it was a POS. Like the pro 6000 so far.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I can definitely see the budgetness in it but I’m a total newb an it’s free to me. I’ll use it till it breaks I suppose like I do most things.
    You will probably find it’s cheap plastic parts break fast especially if you short stroke it. Their new 6000 is much better but free is free. Not a dillon.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Found some Winchester military small rifle primers in stock at the Academy in Humble for $8 a box. No limit. Had some CCI magnum small pistol in stock also, not sure of cost. They had them behind the gun counter so you have to ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    Cast bullets are or, should be, run through a lubricator/sizer. My mold, Lyman, for the 50/70 throws a .515. Which I then size to a .512, which is the bore size. .358 is a common mold size for .357. I don't recall a .359, I checked Lyman, they show 358 as standard 357 bullet mold.
    the extra 001 could be the caliper, or a custom mold, Arsenal Molds sells those. I use a micrometer for bullets as every .001 counts. Your " plastic" caliper from Harmless Fright may be off
    I am guessing it might be the caliper, since it is a cheap Harbor Freight. But if you are ever down in Victoria, you can have these if I still have them. I hope to find them a good home. ;)

wickll

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2022
    Victoria, TX
    Found a great deal on some .224 Hornady Varmint SP in 55 grain. Actually saw them in a pawnshop a few days ago and went back. They were marked $16.50 for a box of 100. I really didn't need another bullet weight in .224, but thought you never know, I can use them as plinker in my .223, 222 , or my 22 hornet.

Anyway, I asked the lady if she could give me a better deal if I bought several boxes. She said it was a mistake when she ordered them. Apparently , she wanted 22 LR cartridges and this is what she got. So she reordered and they sent even more. So she was anxious to make a deal. $10 per box plus tax.

If you can use some, and you are in the Port Lavaca area, she will probably be glad to sell all you want . It is at OK Pawn and Jewelry.

Top Bottom