• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Hello ya...

It's been a wild couple of months with the weather we are having. After months of asking questions on here and a lot of you out there helping me and giving me tips. I was able to load 25 rounds with different powder measurements and different headspace. I'm glad to say that I found one that works very good for me. Groups are good in my eyes.

I was excited I figure out what fires good from my AR. I came home and wanted to reload some more just to make sure it was perfect for me.

Now my question is

With the 25 rounds I reloaded I used Rem Wolf brass. I thought I had more and went looking in the garage. To my surprise I forgot that over the years that I collected range brass I picked up and had it stored in metal containers. After looking at the brass I notice different brass stamps on them.

Does it matter if I use everthing i wrote down and I follow the steps but the brass is different will I get a different results?

Do you care if it's military brass or not or different brass stamps? my goal was to figure out how to reload and get good grouping . Range practice was my goal as well.

What do reloaders for 223 do with the different brass brand.

Any kind of help would be great. Well have a good day, and you guys be safe since it's going to start raining once again this week.
    Venture Surplus ad

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    Prep em, load em and shoot em. Never had a need to attempt to tailor 223/ 5.56 for an AR platform. If you can hit clay targets at 100 yards call it good. If you want to get anal about it sort the brass by manufacture if you can.

rp-

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Apr 11, 2010
    converse
    I weighed a bunch of brass once to work up loads for my daughters 223 bolt gun. Remington RP headstamp brass was most consistent. I pulled out about 130-140 pieces and did some better case prep. Still haven't worked out the load though.

Side note, my username isn't because of the RP brass

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    If you're not loading to max or for high precision just clean, size, trim and prime. Personally I do sort by headstamp and I try to keep count of number of times fired. I usually use once fired or new for precision loads. The wolf 223 brass is good and should reload well for many cycles. For plinking rounds I like 55 gr bullets but they're never as accurate as 60gr and heavier ones in my experience.

As far as true 5.56 brass it's probably worth a little experimentation. Take a sized, trimmed and primed case and check the case capacity with a nice sand like powder like TAC. Fill it to the very top and then weigh it, do the same with another headstamp. If they're nearly identical you have your answer. Some nato and 5.56 labeled brass may have a lower internal capacity. It's usually measured with water but fine grained powder will still give you an idea.

Even within the same headstamp you will get variations but after you establish any sizeable differences you can move on without any reservations.

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    For mass produced, once fired brass.
    Federal has been the best I've found.
    LC is pretty consistent if headstamps match.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I was able to load 25 rounds with different powder measurements and different headspace.

I am guessing you are confusing "headspace" with COAL (cartridge over all length).

You seat the bullet in or out to adjust COAL.

You get out the machining tools to adjust headspace. That's done on the rifle not the ammo........

Beyond that try not to mix cases. But really unless you're trying to turn 1/2" groups into 1/4" groups don't sweat it too much. That usually requires an investment in rifle and reloading tool upgrades.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    You can always do more…annealing, case neck turning, sorting by case capacity and head stamp, weighing and sorting bullets, etc. But for most of use we quickly reach the point of diminishing returns and doing the extra work doesn’t make sense for the intended use or because the rifle or shooter isn’t precise enough to make the difference matter.

For range ammo, or any time I expect to lose my brass I just load it. Only a few use cases that I’ll put in extra effort. Even then, some things I still won’t bother with because it’s not worth the time or tools for me to do it.

If you load close to or over pressure limits sorting cases becomes more important.

MrRobot

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Matrix, TX
    Thank you all for the great advice. I have a annealing i purchase when looking into reloading. I did notice i have a lot of different brands and it takes a long time to sort plus I have more from one brand then others.

I just wanted to learn how to reload and get good results. My loads are not even close to being high. I started very low and moved up slowly. Moving forward I will keep track of how many times I have used the brass. A lot of the brass to me looks like it's one time loaded but I do see some brass have that annealing look. I think a couple more months I will continue with the .223 then move on to 308. Now for that brass I bought one time fired brass.

For that one I will be looking to get into long range shooting. But for now I'm taking baby steps and learning the whole process.

thank you guys once again.

Top Bottom