• ...and so much more!
  • Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States
    Don't trust a sight you hav eto "shake" awake. Because the one time you need it to save your life the SOB isn't going to work. I just use always ons.. change the battery once a year whether they need it or not and live my life.

Last edited:

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Ok- here comes the thread hijack…
    I’m a 1911 guy and feel I need to drag myself into the 21st century regarding the freaking RDS. I get why I should embrace this technology. The range trip today sure proved I can still plug a man sized target all day long and fast at 25 yards. But if I can be better I should accept that and strive for it. I really don’t want another thing but guess it’s for the best. So - I’m just now thinking about this seriously and haven’t done any DuckDuckGo-ing on the options. Guess a Commander size is my preference even though I typically carry a 5” today. 1911’s in 45AARP (apologies to Toddnjoyce) are what I will consider. I’d appreciate the teams recommendations for RDS capable Commander size 1911s. I’ll carry it almost every day. Don’t care about weight.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …I’d appreciate the teams recommendations for RDS capable Commander size 1911s. I’ll carry it almost every day. Don’t care about weight.
    Wilson, Ed Brown, Nighthawk, STI, Kimber, have off the shelf optics ready 1911s. Dan Wesson will mill the slide for you in their custom shop.

sergeant69

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 6, 2016
    san marcos tx
    Plus one for the 1911s. carried a commander on duty for years. tucked it into my boot when i was in court. even fell out one time when i was on the stand. was a oh shit moment. these days weight matters on a bad back so i carry a shield in 45acp.

billtool

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    The Wooldlands
    Since Toddnjoyce guilted me into getting off my a$% and actually doing some research, I came across this interesting review.
    https://www.personaldefenseworld.com/2019/08/optics-ready-1911-pistols/
    I'm just not in a position to lay out the kind of $ required for "higher-end" solutions. I see that Novak cut adaptor options are readily available. I don't like losing the rear sight entirely but think it's the path I'll follow.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    … I don't like losing the rear sight entirely but think it's the path I'll follow.
    Kimber doesn’t take away the rear sight for their optics include Aegis line. But Kimber is a love or hate relationship. The range I usually go to had one on the rental line for a while.

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    In addition to what Todd stated, look into the Bul Armory lineup. I either read or heard something about some of their offerings were to be optic cut slides, similar to the SASII models. Though, at the moment, I'm unable to independently verify this.

And back to O. P., I purchased a Crimson Trace RAD model for my M&P. Haven't been able to mount it or work with it yet due to other, more pressing matters, but when it is up and going, I'm hoping to be able to give a more informed opinion.

Last edited:

Sasquatch

30 Super Carry Post Whore 2K Champ
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    I’m a 1911 guy and feel I need to drag myself into the 21st century regarding the freaking RDS. I get why I should embrace this technology. The range trip today sure proved I can still plug a man sized target all day long and fast at 25 yards. But if I can be better I should accept that and strive for it. I really don’t want another thing but guess it’s for the best. So - I’m just now thinking about this seriously and haven’t done any DuckDuckGo-ing on the options. Guess a Commander size is my preference even though I typically carry a 5” today. 1911’s in 45AARP (apologies to Toddnjoyce) are what I will consider. I’d appreciate the teams recommendations for RDS capable Commander size 1911s. I’ll carry it almost every day. Don’t care about weight.

An excuse to get a new gun is always nice, but you can have the slide of any of your existing pistols you trust milled to accept the RDS for a lot less than a new high quality optic ready 1911 will run you. For that matter - you can buy an optics ready slide for less than a whole new gun will cost, so you don't have to deface a gun you already love.

There's an Ed Brown RMR ready slide,

Mounting plate (with integral rear sight) and front sight combo for the Ed Brown slide

Add an Ed Brown barrel w/ bushing

Ed Brown extractor

Ed Brown firing pin return spring

Ed Brown firing pin

Ed Brown firing pin stop

Recoil spring, plug, and guides (I went with Wolff spring, Ed Brown guide & plug)

I don't think I left out any parts - pre-tax/shipping total is $854.41, or $924.89 after tax.

Then you throw on a Trijicon RMR or the Holosun 507C / 508T - whichever you like and trust - and you're good to go.

Ed Brown's optic-ready "factory" .45 Commander lenght 1911's start at $4K depending on options

Screenshot 2022-07-31 at 10-28-29 BO FX2.png

Of course you can probably get a cheaper optic ready gun - but the Staccato guns are likewise pricey, and looking around their site, I didn't even see a .45 option anymore - they're full bore in the 9mm double stack 2011 game it would seem.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    The other solution - embrace the suck - get a polymer striker gun that comes optics ready.

The M&P in .45 has 1911 grip angle, has the manual safety option that mimics the 1911 operation (which means less learning curve) comes in optic ready versions that already include suppressor heigh back up sights that don't go away when you add an optic. You'll gain 2 rounds in the mag over a typical single stack 1911 with a gun that weighs less. You can get the M&P + a Holosun optic for about what you'd pay for that Ed Brown slide I pieced out above.

Reactions: gll

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    An excuse to get a new gun is always nice, but you can have the slide of any of your existing pistols you trust milled to accept the RDS for a lot less than a new high quality optic ready 1911 will run you. For that matter - you can buy an optics ready slide for less than a whole new gun will cost, so you don't have to deface a gun you already love. ….
    I’d likely just do a slide swap myself, but he needs another gun. I heard him say it. And there’s some other OR 1911s out there, but I don’t talk Springfield as a matter of principal, even if they put out some interesting products.
    The other solution - embrace the suck - get a polymer striker gun that comes optics ready.
    You know what to do with that whore mouth of yours.

Sasquatch

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia

Their gun builder on the website doesn't allow configuring optic ready 45's other than this configuration for some reason (though selecting 10mm lets you build a non-comp'd normal gun that's optic ready, which is the same frame as the 45 so its probably a website error)

$802 MSRP - street price should be less at this point. Even at MSRP, its a whole damn performance center gun, for less than the Ed Brown slide assembly.

Or if you want slim & trim

The Shield 2.0 performance center 4 inch gets you a 7+1 capacity gun a lot smaller than a 4 inch 1911. My only bitch is the optic footprint is going to be limiting - the best compact MRDS is the Holosun 507K - it outperforms / out features every other sight in its size class, the Trijicon RMRcc may be a bit more rugged, but thats about it. I don't know if the footprint of that optic cut shield would direct mount the 507K, or if you'd have to run an adapter.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I really prefer tritium night sights on a pistol. But that is a personal preference.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DSDExpresso
    Top Bottom