• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    I've got one hose bibb off my unheated garage wall I'm worried about.
    I'm placing a 75watt light bulb inside a small styrofoam ice chest and placing it around the bibb.
    Obviously I'll keep the bulb from melting the ice chest.

this is a damn good idea. I will see what I can rig up. Considering I am an electrician I think I can make this work.
    Texas SOT

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    this is a damn good idea. I will see what I can rig up. Considering I am an electrician I think I can make this work.

I may go buy a string light I have A outlet not far from that spot. Putting one inside of a cooler won’t be a big deal, and string lights (construction style) has a plastic cage that Keeps them from touching anything.

Texas_Lone_Ranger

Frontier Battalion
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2020
    Up Yonder'
    A string of Christmas lights might work as well.

Definitely going to have some redundancy for next winter ready. Solar power with AGM batteries 200ah and an inverter with 2000w available. Gas inverter wouldn't be as able to cycle (sitting running idle) with a home furnace. It would run say the full 12hr with an outage as where the battery setup would be less effected on stand by.

Last edited:

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I've got a 5x5x5 plant protector house out in the yard with some good plants in it (thick plastic wrap all around). Since we are below freezing for days on end and with some 10 deg in the forecast I added a 100 watt bulb to the one already in there.

My in-ground hybiscus had three big blooms on it before the cold rolled in. No heat for him, just some cover, doubt he makes it.

Riksors

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2019
    Georgetown
    Been keeping an eye on the cold flow from San Antonio. Seems to have broken off on the approach towards our area. Be sleeping earlier tonight. Tomorrow and the day after will be long days.

Last edited:
    Reactions: gll

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Demand ain’t the problem. Ice on tree limbs add weight the tree can’t support. Just a bit of wind and the limbs snap, taking with them power lines in the fall zone. The photo below was shot in Cedar Park today; luckily this place had underground utilities.

Yup ...

Weather could certainly create outages. That's different than rolling brown outs.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    just in case!

nwr1.PNG
    nwr2.PNG

Last edited:

CrazyCobraManTim

Whiskey Baby
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2021
    Keller, TX
    And.... The Snow is here! Yard and sideway, driveway - all covered and the front door fountain is about frozen solid.

Prepping tests begin now - pick up your pencils :)

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Well, tested the generator, got 10 gallons of gas. All exposed pipe bibs are coverd including the water heater in the garage. Got the tub dripping for insc. We should be fine as long as the power doesn't go out long. I can keep indoor freezers and fridges ok and run a space heater on my generator but it's a crap shoot on the pipes if there is no heat. Then I will have to crack out door taps to run and indoor hot water lines.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Son called yesterday and one of his two heat pumps died so he borrowed two of my space heaters. Techs are backed up, space heaters sold out in stores around Wednesday and Amazon can't deliver until Thu at the earliest.

The road/yard are mostly covered outside so waiting to see how much more we get and if Ercot introduces rolling blackouts Mon and Tue.

Spcwolf

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 16, 2013
    Conroe tx
    For all of you using space heaters, don’t burn you own house down.

And don’t overload that circuit with the space heater, I can’t tell you how many circuits I have replaced because all the women bring space heaters to work.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Demand ain’t the problem. Ice on tree limbs add weight the tree can’t support. Just a bit of wind and the limbs snap, taking with them power lines in the fall zone. The photo below was shot in Cedar Park today; luckily this place had underground utilities.

Our neighborhood is underground, but out neighbors behind us are not and while the power lines are mostly in open areas, they are susceptible to tree falls.

Actually, demand may well be a big problem. ERCOT and the energy managers are forecasting that demand could exceed that of the hottest August day.

Downed lines will be an issue as well, of course.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I am worried about my outside water hose spiket. I can’t seem to spell it.

I bought pipe insulation, gorilla tape that is water sealer, wrapped it, put a old cooler around it to trap heat from the house and shield it from the rain/slow and windchill.

is wrapping it in that tape a issue? The stuff can stop a water leak apparently. I just don’t want it to crack and back feed into my house.

this is what I used.

I put this insulation under it

I wrapped the exposed pipe with the insulation and then water proofed it with the gorilla tape, then put my cooler over it.
    Anyone think this will be a problem? I am running my indoor heater at 72 degrees, my home built in 2014.

You've done about all you can do, short of building a box and putting a heat lamp in it.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    zw150202
    Top Bottom