Capitol Armory ad

Recommendations for someone looking to get into hunting hogs?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ioannes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2019
    US
    Greetings all, I’m a little embarrassed to admit it, but I’m a late 40s guy who has been shooting all my life but has never hunted anything.

I saw the other hog thread so I’m guessing the pickings are slim anymore.

My 12 year old daughter has informed me that she wants to go on a hog hunt for her 14th as a right of passage. I offered a rim to rim hike in our Grand Canyon, but she’s adamant about hog.

Any suggestions on how I can prep for this? I was thinking of going on some hunts solo (not taking her) so I can get used to it.

I have some 308 semi autos, a 30-30 lever and soon bolties in 30-06, .308 and 6.5 Creedmor.

I’m really an AK guy but I am more or less proficient with my other rifles.

Should I find a guided hunt somewhere in West TX? I’m going to Austin in early October and could stay to hunt if that’s not too early. Going to College Station for Thanksgiving so maybe I can go a couple days with my Aggie nephew. Dang it, one of my customers in FT. Worth had a worker who would invite people to his family ranch for pest control but I’ve lost that hookup.

Anyhow, where to begin? My dad was an urban professional who owned firearms for home defense and I missed the hunting boat except for a couple of fruitless Javelina and hog hunts in CA and OK for landowners there.

Thanks for not judging my weird self. :)
    DK Firearms

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    If she hasn't already I would have her take your 6.5 or 308 and put a few on paper. See which one she likes better and use a nice soft point load. As far as getting familiar with hunting them there's not much to it. They will gather wherever a deer feeder is with regularity. I knew a guy who used to offer guided hunts at his place in Rock springs. He was fairly cheap at $500 or so for a weekend hunt but his place was hard to access and Rock springs is a long trip for most.

I'd poke around the internet and look over reviews. I know there are hogs everywhere but they seem to be a low cost hunt if you head south towards pearsall or East.

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball
    Greetings all, I’m a little embarrassed to admit it, but I’m a late 40s guy who has been shooting all my life but has never hunted anything.

I can say that I have been on nature walks with firearms, but I have never really been hunting either. I took one shot at one pig and missed (stupid mistake) almost 10 years ago now. I keep saying I am going to do it, but it hasn't happened and I am in my early 50's.

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    The Big Town
    Your best bet is a guided hunt, since this is your first foray. Use your business connections for some recommendations on locations and outfitters if that don’t work then google hog hunts and make some phone calls

Top Bottom