• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrankyBuddha

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I have a combination of three handguns that I consider my primary self-defense tools; Glock 19 G4, Glock 26 G4 and (to be) Kahr CM9. The Glocks have the factory "U-dot" sights and the Kahr a dot above a bar like a lower case i.

I would like to have all the sights be the same. I think having different sights on each will either increase the training time required to master both. Since training time and dollars are limited I think I could be more effective if I trained on a single type of sight. What do you think?

What are the best sights for a self-defense situation? I have the most experience with traditional three dot sights but I am willing to adjust to something else. I used to think night sights were an absolute must but someone pointed out that if it's too dark to see your sights it's probably too dark to clearly identify your target and what's beyond it.

By the way, I am near sighted in my weak eye and (very slightly) farsighted in my dominant due to a combination of a bad lasik choice and advancing years.

Thanks guys!

-Cranky
    ARJ Defense ad

Big Phil

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    SATX
    I like my Trijicon HD night sights but that would be really expensive for 3 pistols. Plus I'm not sure if they make them for Kahr.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I used to think night sights were an absolute must but someone pointed out that if it's too dark to see your sights it's probably too dark to clearly identify your target and what's beyond it.

That is an excellent quote, and shows good wisdom. Where night sights really shine is a very narrow window at dusk and dawn where it is dark enough that dark sights on a dark target might be extremely difficult to make out, but that you can still clearly identify the threat properly without having to use a light to do so.

The answer is, it's going to be a bit different for everyone. You have standard steel sights that are all black, 3 dot, i dot (like Sigs or Kahrs have), bar or U dot (like Glocks), fiber optic, tritium, tritium and fiber optic combined, luminescent paint which needs to be pre-charged, and that's about it except for some oddball out of the ordinary stuff. Within each of those types there are usually a number of combinations, including tritium or fiber optic only in the front with a plain steel rear.

For myself, for now, all black steel sights are what I prefer. During the day, I get the best possible accuracy (at least so far) with all black sights. As Cranky mentioned, if it's too dark to see your sights, it's probably too dark to shoot without using a weapon light or hand held light to identify the target. I find that all black sights at close to mid range can be silhouetted quite a bit by a sufficiently bright light, and can often be made out very quickly and easily used to aim. Also, I've found that when using a light to identify your target, there is typically enough light immediately around the gun that tritium sights pretty much disappear. For others, tritium sights are value added, and are what works well for them. There's no one right answer, it's all about finding the tools that allow you to do the work in the most effective manner. Best thing to do is to try out several different guns with different types of sights, try them in several conditions (low light) if possible, and start to get a feel for what is most effective for you.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I like my Trijicon HD night sights but that would be really expensive for 3 pistols. Plus I'm not sure if they make them for Kahr.
    I will second this choice. Not a precision site, but they are fast at acquiring a target and they work well with my astigmatism. I have a buddy that swears by his brass ball front sight. Easy too see in all but absolute dark.

zenfly

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2013
    I have a TIVO and record all the cop shows and seen hundreds of shootouts.. I have never seen anyone use their sights when the lead is flying..
    Learn how to be fast and shoot instinctively.. Self defense is very close up 9 out of 10 times and if you shoot someone far away you best have a good lawyer.. I have laser grips on my CBOB.. Do you think Zimm was using sights ?

ArmyZach

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2013
    Joshua
    I have a TIVO and record all the cop shows and seen hundreds of shootouts.. I have never seen anyone use their sights when the lead is flying..
    Learn how to be fast and shoot instinctively.. Self defense is very close up 9 out of 10 times and if you shoot someone far away you best have a good lawyer.. I have laser grips on my CBOB.. Do you think Zimm was using sights ?

^^^^^^^^^reality for most^^^^^^^^^^^
    If you have your eyes open, you are doing better than most.
    Especially the first shots fired.
    That doesn't mean that good sights aren't usefull, they just aren't going to be used without training.
    What is a better investment: tritium glow in the dark big dot can't miss sights, or some one on one time with a good instructor?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 4

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I've seen countless thousands of people drive down the road, barely competent, not paying attention to a thing, clearly not taking driving seriously enough, and seen them not wreck their cars, at least while I was near them. Lack of failure is not necessarily an indicator of doing something right.

A.Texas.Yankee

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    NTX
    Sights are used for target practice if anything more, then you're well trained or just better than most anyone. Try aiming with no sights, then you'll see what's gonna happen in a SHTF situation. I've been practicing slide aim (point and shoot). I got the idea from trap shooting, where you line the shotty up and you're looking at the target (which you're probably going to be doing anyway if you are using self defense). Gets you used to muscle memory of putting rounds on target you're looking at, but that's just me.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

CrankyBuddha

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Houston, TX
    That doesn't mean that good sights aren't usefull, they just aren't going to be used without training.
    What is a better investment: tritium glow in the dark big dot can't miss sights, or some one on one time with a good instructor?

I plan on both. I want to standardize on a single style of sights so that training and practice time is more effective. I feel that if I have two (or more) types of sights on my self-defense guns I increase the amount of time that will be required to become proficient. Or, to put it another way, since training/practice time is limited I will be more proficient within the time I have.

I would like to get opinions about the various sights out there. Since I will be changing (standardizing) sights anyway why not change them to whatever would get me a little more advantage in a bad situation?

If that is poor reasoning, please correct me. I am no expert and feel there is always room for learning and improving when it comes to critical skills, like self-defense.

-Cranky

Last edited:

RstyShcklfrd

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Dallas
    To further elaborate on 10-8 Performance, I use their fiber optic front. Fast target acquisition. If you run a light on your gun, they'll glow at night.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

CrankyBuddha

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2013
    Houston, TX
    I don't see any 10-8 sights for the Kahr, only the Glock. XS and Trijicon have products available for both. I don't see a big dot option on the Trijicon sights for the Kahr CM9.

Based on that, big dot fiber optic "i" sights from XS or standard tritium three dots from Trijicon?

-CrankyBuddha

cmgray612

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    Leander, Texas
    A low cost option is to just turn the rear sights around so the all black is to the rear. Then you can pick up the white dot really quickly. I agree with the opinion on nights sights though. In low light a flash light weapon mounted or not is the quickest surest way to identify a threat.

mleroyl

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 23, 2012
    Cibolo, TX
    Lemme throw out an opinion that is not yet detailed - Advantage Tactical Sight:
    www.advantagetactical.com
    It's an odd, but oddly effective sight. Had a buddy that mounted one on his XDs. I shot it WELL on quick fire shooting exercises. It's very instinctual and allows the shooter to get on target quickly.

Top Bottom