• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Batons don't ricochet in to houses/kids/cars if you miss the dog. Also can be much easier to aim.

I don't want one, but it seems some are being fairly narrow minded about it.

Training for how to hit somethin with a stick, lol.

Literally so easy, a caveman could do it.

I know what I am talking about. Pepper spray is much better for a dog. I do agree about shooting at a dog in a neighborhood environment.

And hear me, if you hit someone with a baton and cannot justify deadly force, you are going to be in a world of legal hurt unless you can establish WHY your strikes were not deadly force. That takes training.
    Target Sports

Last edited:

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If deadly force is justified, use the handgun you have to carry in order to be able to carry the club.
    If the person trying to do you harm is already within arms reach then a gun isn't necessarily the best option. That said I personally don't see the need to carry a baton, but it's really up to the individual on how they wish to arm themselves regardless of legal convolutions.

ShellbackBill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2015
    I hadn't realized a club was instantly a deadly weapon. I was actually thinking of it as a less than lethal option.

Thanks for all for the good advice.

JoeN

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2015
    I don't have any experience with either pepper spray or clubs but it seems to me that pepper spray might be more effective in repelling an attacker unless you want to do some real harm to them. If you really want a club, have you ever given any thought to a walking cane. A cane can be a fashion statement, a device to aid in balance on rough terrain, a support to rest on, or a formidable weapon if you know how to use it. As far as I know a walking cane is legal everywhere.

txfiveoh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Leon County
    If you have to have a baton, the Monandock's are great.
    If you carry the baton on you, be prepared to get hemmed up if caught, unless you are a LEO, a correctional officer on official duty or military.
    The baton is a great tool, when employed properly, which does require more technique then simply swinging it wildly at an attacker. For instance, in LE, we are trained, very specifically, areas to target. Also, it is simply too easy to escalate the use of a baton from non-lethal defense to lethal, by striking in specific areas. Anyone that has been in a fist fight and intended to punch someone square in the nose but, accidentally connected with the opposers forehead, in turn injuring your fist in the process, knows how easy it is to not land the blows you intend.
    My suggestion would be to carry your pistol for personal defense. If you are concerned about dogs, or over penetration, or close in encounters, or any other myriad of excuses to carry an expandable baton, may be consider more firearms training, reconsider your weapon/ caliber choice, and if you truly feel it's necessary to add another "tool to your tool box", consider investing in some sort of "hand to hand" training...

Or, go old school and carry a 3 cell maglight. ;)

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    If you have to have a baton, the Monandock's are great.
    If you carry the baton on you, be prepared to get hemmed up if caught, unless you are a LEO, a correctional officer on official duty or military.
    The baton is a great tool, when employed properly, which does require more technique then simply swinging it wildly at an attacker. For instance, in LE, we are trained, very specifically, areas to target. Also, it is simply too easy to escalate the use of a baton from non-lethal defense to lethal, by striking in specific areas. Anyone that has been in a fist fight and intended to punch someone square in the nose but, accidentally connected with the opposers forehead, in turn injuring your fist in the process, knows how easy it is to not land the blows you intend.
    My suggestion would be to carry your pistol for personal defense. If you are concerned about dogs, or over penetration, or close in encounters, or any other myriad of excuses to carry an expandable baton, may be consider more firearms training, reconsider your weapon/ caliber choice, and if you truly feel it's necessary to add another "tool to your tool box", consider investing in some sort of "hand to hand" training...

Or, go old school and carry a 3 cell maglight. ;)

A little confused.
    Wouldn't the only way to prevent over penetration by caliber choice mean by going down in power?
    I realize I cut-up your post, but this stood out to me.

I don't plan on carrying anything less than a 9mm, my normal is .40.

Maybe I miss-understood.

bones_708

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    A little confused.
    Wouldn't the only way to prevent over penetration by caliber choice mean by going down in power?

Maybe I miss-understood.

Nope. Ammo choice is the main way to prevent over penetration now.

txfiveoh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Leon County
    A little confused.

Maybe I miss-understood.

Or, move up to a larger round like the .45 ACP.
    I really would be more suggestive of increased firearms training though.
    A great school of thought, IMHO, in regards to weapons handling are Col. Jeff Cooper's Four Rules.
    In regards to this conversation, specifically rule #4, knowing your target, and what lies beyond it.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Or, move up to a larger round like the .45 ACP.
    I really would be more suggestive of increased firearms training though.
    A great school of thought, IMHO, in regards to weapons handling are Col. Jeff Cooper's Four Rules.
    In regards to this conversation, specifically rule #4, knowing your target, and what lies beyond it.

So, you suggest going to .45 to reduce chance of penetration?

txfiveoh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Leon County
    So, you suggest going to .45 to reduce chance of penetration?

I'm not going to bite.
    I suggest educating yourself on the calibers and different projectiles available you are interested in and what they are capable of. Then make a decision that best suits your needs.
    There is NO perfect round that will do everything, everyone wants.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    This is the third time we battled this, but here we go........

I was riding my bicycle and a big black dog ran at me from behind and bit Hell out of me on the right leg. I went to the house, since I know the family and he told me that it wasn't his dog and I should get lost.

I called the Sheriff's office and two Deputies came to meet me. I told them that I had my CHL but didn't want to start blasting away at some kids' dog. They said: "There's no reason why you couldn't carry a baton." I posted this story before and the TGT guys posted information that refuted that opinion. I carry a 26" baton while riding in Chambers County.

The two Deputies went to the house and advised the owner that if a dog is living around your house, it is YOUR dog and you are responsible for any damage or injury that it causes. When they arrived, the dog was inside the house.

I got my batons at Midway. They are reasonably priced and have been carried for several years.

Flash

Last edited:

txfiveoh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Leon County
    If anyone wants to carry a baton, you may want to consider contacting the local DA's office and ask how they interpret the law in regards to this.
    All the laws and definitions in regards to this can be found in the Texas Penal Code, Chapter 46
    According to the Texas State Penal Code Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
    (2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle or watercraft that is owned by the person or under the person's control.

txfiveoh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2015
    Leon County
    If you have a LTC and are carrying a handgun, then it exempts you from 46.02. Won't keep you from being arrested for it, tho.

That is incorrect.
    Under Texas Government Code, Subchapter H "License to carry a concealed HANDGUN", it authorizes a person, if licensed to carry, a handgun, in the state.

Please contact your local DA if you have any further questions regarding this.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    That is incorrect.
    Under Texas Government Code, Subchapter H "License to carry a concealed HANDGUN", it authorizes a person, if licensed to carry, a handgun, in the state.

Please contact your local DA if you have any further questions regarding this.

No, he is not incorrect. The government code, in 411 (h), does not set out offenses. The penal code does. 46.02 makes it unlawful to carry a handgun, illegal knife or club, with certain exceptions. PC 46.15 (b) states, in part, that 46.02 does not apply to a person who is carrying a concealed handgun (at least for 9 more days) AND a valid license. That section does not restrict the non-applicability to to only the carry of handguns.

Top Bottom