• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexasVine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Lakeway/Fredericksburg
    I had the opportunity to hunt with Mulie Mike and his guys from West Texas Hunt Organization just east of El Paso, Texas. The ranch was located in the mountain range just outside of Horizon City. The terrain was steep mountain sides and cliff areas. We spent the mornings to mid afternoon hiking, climbing and glassing for the elusive Aoudad. The later afternoon hunts were going back into the canyons on a six seat Ranger with a high rack back seat. Lonnie (one of the guides) took this Ranger were I thought no ranger could go! On the third morning we were able to spot and stalk a group of Aoudad (several hours). My shot was taken from an overhanging cliff (first picture) at 200 yards down the mountain side. It was a clean one shot kill. I was shooting a Remington 5R Mil-spec with a 168 grain Federal Premium Match King BTHP. The scope I was using was a Nikon 4.5 x 14 BDC. I want to give my many thanks to Mike, Lonnie and Steve for going above and beyond in their efforts to find me an Aoudad. I highly recommend these guys for Aoudad, Mule Deer and Elk. Truly the most challenging hunt I have been on.

photo_2_3-1.gif

IMG_1334.gif

IMG_1340.gif

photo_2_2.gif
    Capitol Armory ad

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Never heard of those...I thought this was gonna be one of those hunts for some mysterious creature that's never been seen just so you had an excuse to get out lol

Great pics though-beautiful country!

alexrex20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2011
    aoudad is probably the most challenging game animal to hunt in Texas. nice kill! thanks for sharing.

TexasVine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Lakeway/Fredericksburg
    Good hunt.

How much did it cost?

This hunt ran $3,200.00 for three days with meals and lodging. I actually had three guides which meant 4 pairs of eyes glassing all day. The third day the rancher assisted as well in the morning. The hunt was presented to me upon booking that there would be two guides, the extra guide was well welcomed. I was the only hunter and they only allow 2-3 Aoudad hunts a year on the ranch with a minimum of three weeks between hunts. The ranch was over 50 square miles of mountainous area with loads of cliffs, ravines and outcroppings. There were times we were climbing some of the most vertical terrain I have hunted. The morning thru afternoons were on foot. The evenings we used a 6 seater all terrain vehicle riding and glassing a lot of box canyons and hillsides. This was a very pure hunt with no feeders or food sources. I choose this particular hunt and ranch because I wanted to hunt the Aoudad in their true environment. There were times I thought we'd never see an Aoudad although there was frequent signs of rams such as dust bowls. These animals are extremely hard to spot in rugged terrain. Two or three will jam themselves into cracks and holes in the rock to hide. Even when they're are moving they are very difficult to spot. They usually see you before you see them. The ram I shot we stalked over three hours before getting a shot. We came over the top of a crest and I crawled out onto a overhanging ledge above the ram and ewes to take a 200 yard shot at a steep downward angle. Most shots are in the range of 400-500 yards. I guess I got lucky!

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    setter1
    Top Bottom