• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    Haslet
    I know I'm opening my self up; showing my ignorance, but if your gun holds 8-16 rounds (depending on type of weapon) why carry extra magazines in chl circumstances?

Should I really be prepared for a gun fight where I will go through that many shots before the situation is 'resolved'?

cseale86

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    East Houston
    I know I'm opening my self up; showing my ignorance, but if your gun holds 8-16 rounds (depending on type of weapon) why carry extra magazines in chl circumstances?

Should I really be prepared for a gun fight where I will go through that many shots before the situation is 'resolved'?

My hopes is that i will never have to use the primary or extra mag.I train my hardest to make all shots count.Ive read a few horror stories about drug induced perps taking 20+ shots of 40 S&W maybe,maybe not. Either way i want to have as much of an advantage over the BG as i can. I carry a West German Sig P220 on a daily basis,8+1 then i have an extra 8 round magazine.My main reason is because the magazines are slim fairly light and conceal well. I also have a Glock 19 that i do not carry an extra magazine with because it is a little to thick and uncomfortable to carry an extra.

All that being said it's just an insurance policy kind-of like the CHL i could carry a gun everyday unlicensed,and most likely never get discovered then my luck i will get attacked and have to draw down only to be commiting a felony myself.SO in the same mindset im preparing for the worst.

PopsXD9sc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2008
    Longview
    When the adrenaline is pumping the high cap mag might not be enough. We all probably practice (or train) to get the job done in two or three shots but reality just might be a little different. When carrying the UC (or fullsize 1911 w/8+1) I usually have an extra mag 'cause I'm not sure that 7 rds will be enough. If I carry the XDM40; I sure hope the 16+1 is enough. Pray for the best and prepare for the worst.

proforguns

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Pipe Creek
    What if your with your family and the bad guy is shooting from cover an extra mag may allow you to lay down cover fire to get your family out of danger.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    As others here have said, someone full of adrenaline and a few choice drugs may be able to "absorb" hits that would drop the majority of us. Combat reports have shown that the human body is capable of sustaining massive carnage and still function, almost superhumanlike - largely due to the aforementioned adrenaline.
    Case in point: Over a hundred years ago during the Phillipine Insurrection, a Moro war chief by the name of Panglima Hassan "took" thirty-two hits from Krag rifle fire before finally being downed by an old pistol firing 45Colt from fairly close range.

Hopefully, none of us will NEVER need thirty-three shots from our CCW to stop some fanatical attacker, but the case for extra magazines IS valid.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Just went over my history (since it was now fresh in my mind). That Moro War Chief may have gotten hit by as few as ten rounds (still a lot, IMO). There's a bunch of different accounts of that particular battle.

Anyway, just thought I'd correct my numbers before some history nazi E-crucified me.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    No one ever died from having too much ammo! ;) I sure as hell would never want to run out in the middle of a gunfight.

On semi auto firearms in general, the function of the gun is entirely up to the magazine working properly. If the magazine malfunctions, the gun will not run. The way I look at it is like this. We train for that 1% possibility that we may ever get in a gunfight and have to defend ourselves. Yeah, most of the stuff we do, most of the things we train for, a large majority of us will never face. So why is it necessary? That 1% of the time is the only thing that matters, because if you fail at that 1% you DIE. If your number is up and you are the unlucky one that gets faced with a defensive shooting, you damn sure want to have already prepared mentally, physically, and have all the proper hardware to insure you make it out alive.

It may seem like an uncommon thing, but there are documented defensive shootings, officer involved shootings, etc out there where attackers have taken 20, 30, 40, and some even 50+ rounds and continuing to fight, and some even still surviving the encounter after giving up! That's just some single attackers! Imagine if there are 3 or 4+ attackers and each one maybe takes 5-10 rounds to put down. It's easy to see how dire the situation could become. Some people don't think so but, in my honest opinion a 5 shot snub nose is not enough. A semi auto with no extra magazines is not enough. It may only take 1 round, but what if it doesn't? Do you want to bet your life on it?

A little bit more weight and discomfort carrying a couple extra magazines is a small price to pay if it saves your life. The least amount of ammo I'd feel comfortable carrying would be ~30rds. That works out to 1 extra mag on a full size hicap, 1-2 extra on a mid size hicap, and 2-3 extra on some subcompacts. The way I look at it, carrying 2-3 mags can be achieved in a relatively comfortable manner if you buy good carry gear, and that's enough ammo to account for what I would consider a majority of defensive situations. In an extreme situation, it is at least enough ammo to hopefully allow you to retreat from the situation, or take cover and reassess things. What you don't want to do is blow your load prematurely with your 5 shot snub nose only 2 seconds in to a gun fight, and realize you downed that one attacker and there are 3 more, and they are all armed, they now want to KILL you.....and you have no avenue for retreat and you are all out of ammo.

There is also the reliability aspect. As much as I shoot and am experienced with handguns, I have seen them all fail in one way or another. Even the best and most reliable types out there can fail. There is no perfect one. Yes, even revolvers can malfunction, and in many cases they are worse to get back running. Most semi auto malfunctions can be cleared in 1-4 seconds with some practice. Carry at least 1 extra mag if even for the sole possibility that you run into that bastard Murphy. ;)

Just fyi, I'm not speaking about or to anyone specifically. I'm just speaking in general context. Just thought I'd clarify so no one's feelings get hurt. ;)

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    For the same reason why you put 20 gallons in a gas tank ... you might only need half a gallon to get to the store and back, but it doesn't hurt to have extra.

Jon Payne

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Third Coast
    The laws of averages never work out in my favor. If it's bad enough I need my pistol I want my spare ammo too. Besides, without the counter balance I might fall over.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    On semi auto firearms in general, the function of the gun is entirely up to the magazine working properly. If the magazine malfunctions, the gun will not run.
    This is the reason I carry extra mags.
    It may seem like an uncommon thing, but there are documented defensive shootings, officer involved shootings, etc out there where attackers have taken 20, 30, 40, and some even 50+ rounds and continuing to fight, and some even still surviving the encounter after giving up!
    While in a LE capacity I have seen that, I have not seen any reports of civilians facing such a scenario. I think that is because we can AVOID such a situation, while a LE officer goes TO those scenarios.

That said, who knows if you may actually need the extra rounds?

MR Redneck

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    The great country of West Texas
    Hell, I carry a HiCap 1911 around that holds 14 rounds of 45 acp. If its in the truck, there is a extra mag next to it. If it's on me, the extra mag is in my pocket. Also note, if there is a handgun on me, there is a damn good reason for it.
    I also have a riot 12 gauge that rides around with me. It hold 5 rounds+ 4 in the stock+ 5 in the pad.
    I also carry a ammo bag in my truck. It consist of 6 extra 14 round 1911 mags, 30 rifled 12 gauge slugs, and 30 more 00 2-3/4 shells.
    I cant stand carrying hanguns because Concealed Carry just sucks! Makes me feel like a criminal when I have to hide my firearm! Around here it is common for me to have a AR15 under my jacket during odd hours.
    Im not much for carrying any kind of firearms on me but if I do, there's a good reason for it.
    West Texas is a Cartel drug hub, full of garbage that moved here during the boom from who know's where, and simply not the laid back place I once loved.
    I cant even emagine what you people living in Houston, DFW, or Austin area have to put up with, but if its anything like the crap around here, all I can give you is my best wishes.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    While in a LE capacity I have seen that, I have not seen any reports of civilians facing such a scenario. I think that is because we can AVOID such a situation, while a LE officer goes TO those scenarios.

That said, who knows if you may actually need the extra rounds?

Yeah, it's definitely not common or likely. I just try to think of the worst case scenario. In my mind, worst case scenario I can imagine facing is multiple attackers armed with semi auto rifles, hundreds of rounds of ammo, and body armor. Basically the North Hollywood Shootout scenario. I don't mind the extra weight. I've considered upping my carry load to 3 extra mags, and at some point I plan on also adding concealable Level III armor to the EDC. Hell, maybe I'll start driving an M1 Abrams to work while I'm at it. ;) LOL I seem to remember that within the last year or so there was a shooting somewhere in northwest Austin. I remember hearing that the two shooters were MS13 I believe, armed with AK's and body armor, and they were hitting someone connected with a cartel. All I remember is it seemed a big deal and APD rolled out SWAT, their armored car(s), etc.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    I think the reasons havebeen well covered. I usually have 2-3 spare mags in my truck plus the one I try to carry on me, it gets left occassionally but remembered more so when I go to large populus areas such as malls...

codeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    TX
    Everyone here has given good reasons to carry extra mags, so I’ll just add this one thing, if concealment of the spare mags or the cost of a mag holster is an issue, go to your local sporting goods store and look at their inexpensive knives and flash lights that come with a nylon carry case with a belt loop. I find ones that are the right size to carry my spare mag and keep it on my belt. It’s cheap, very well concealed and I end up with either a spare knife or flash light.

Top Bottom